Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Latest GPS Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 05:46 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Latest GPS Recommendations

As GPS tech is ever advancing, I'm weighing again what GPS to buy. The new Garmin Zumo 660 is obviously attractive and to a lesser extent the TomTom Rider but they are both SO expensive. I've been eying the Garmin Nuvi 755T ($300) which with a Bluetooth dongle plugged into the headphone jack and a Bluetooth stereo headphone, the only concern is weather-ability. Tucked under the windshield with Saran wrap for protection, any decent anti-vibe mount should do the trick. Remember, regular Bluetooth GPS let you make calls but do not relay voice directions via Bluetooth. If the unit has an earphone jack, a Bluetooth dongle transmits the directions and (music) to a Bluetooth earphone, and kills the built-in speaker. I don't care about making cell calls when riding but the Zumo 660 does permit it.

Your thoughts?
Old 11-15-2009, 04:43 AM
Back Marker

Hawknut
http://http://gpsmagazine.com/2007/10/garmin_nuvi_760_review.phpI have this model.It is discontinued and was their high end model at one time.Bought it under 2 Bills from Amazon.I use it on my Gold Wing and the Hawk as well as the cars.One complaint is if I put my clip on sunglasses on I can hardly see the screen.Polarized lens??Also get rainbows on the windsheild.Has a built in Mp3 player and you can pull the SD card out of your camera and view your pictures.I also have a cheapy Magellan 1200 that does a better job of routing.It gives you more choices of what kind of roads you want.It has a smaller screen and does not have all the bells and whistles but it does route better.I think I paid 80 bucks on a closeout sale.For weather protection-use a sandwich bag.For mounts check out Ram Mounts.Good solid stuff--no complaints.Do search even on You Tube then decide.Do yourself a big favor and play with it on your couch then in your car then on the bike.It can be worse than texting.I too could not justify the cost of a Zumo.Check that GPS Magazine site out it breaks them down pretty good.One last thing--do use screen protectors.

Last edited by Hawknut; 11-15-2009 at 04:46 AM.