Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Lacking Power

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 09:01 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Compression testing should be done with the motor warm. Was it warm? If not you can put a bit of oil in the cylinders to simulate a warm engine. Doing a compression test on a cold motor will give false low readings.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:05 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Compression testing should be done with the motor warm. Was it warm? If not you can put a bit of oil in the cylinders to simulate a warm engine. Doing a compression test on a cold motor will give false low readings.
+1
Take a baseline test, then add oil, if the compression improve you have a ring seal problem, if not, more a cam timing problem.
During the winter I will probably check valve timing using a modified timing wheel and a dial, I'm chasing the same gremlins.
When I bought the bike new from the dealer, people were telling me that it's the ultimate wheelie machine...yeah right, this thing have as much torque than a 600 bike and can't even race a grannie to the grocery store, still the bike feel good and I always figuers I had all the 109 hp I should have, never dynoed, just rode the thing.
Then I slapped a turbo on it and the bike woke up a lot, the bike is now picking the front wheel off the ground in second gear, witch never happened barely in first gear, maybe if I chopped the throttle first and stood on the bike.
Got to the dyno and... 112 rwhp at 4 psi (yeah I know I can increase the boost but I'm just dialing in the fuel and spark) it did not feel like a 10 hp improvement, it's way more than this, something else is dead wrong.
So I have done a leakdown test, less than 4 % on both cylinders.
Now to the dynamic compression, maybe a bunch of parts have been made off tolerance and Honda just ....
I will report results when I get enough time to do this.