Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

Power Ranger no more!

Old 09-06-2006, 11:37 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

penst8grad
Power Ranger no more!

Here's the deal...

I'm back in school and like riding my 'hawk, so like peanutbutter and jelly they go together. But, I don't want to wear my riding gear to a Graduate Class. Or, any class for that matter.

I do look damn fine in my gear (I assume that's why my wife giggles), but I need some pants and boots that are more subdued than my current leather pants and boots.

I'm open to suggestions.

Red Power Ranger
Old 09-06-2006, 12:22 PM
Back Marker

Nanotech is on a distinguished road
As a fellow grad student riding a hawk I know what you mean...

I have resorted to keeping my gear in my office, and just wearing a textile jacket and leather shoes. Good for me since I live close, but maybe you want to be fully suited up on the ride to class.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:43 PM
Back Marker

Shmittay
Have you looked at Draggin Jeans? From what Ive heard the aussie versions fit a bit better than the US. www.dragginjeans.com or www.dragginjeans.com.au

They also sell kevlar long sleeve shirts so that could be an option too.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:17 PM
Squid

woozer996 is on a distinguished road
When I got the Duke, the leathers I had were so tight that little 5'7" me couldn't swing my leg over the saddle and I got sick of being jabbed by my crew for putting the sidestand down and then dismounting as if getting off of horse.

So I got a Cortech HRX two piece suit that is mostly ballistic nylon, but with leather and plastic armor in the right places. The jacket and pants each have two removable liners - one a windbreakerish shell that keeps out wind and water, and the other a quilted liner for warmth. With both of them removed, there's plenty of room for street clothing underneath.

I leave a pair of shoes at the office so I can ditch the Alpinestars and it works out quite well.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:34 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
I have JR Ballistic textile pants that are black, and the best part is, the come off fairly easily. You can take 'em off when you get to your class. As for boots/shoes, I use either all black boots (Setup has some nice ones) or my Caterpillar work boots.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:04 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
I use the ICON SUPERDUTY boot, it looks like a hicking boot but has plastic and metal protection in the ankle and sole and a starp that holds the laces. As far as the gear, I use my mesh and leather pants and take them off and put them in my tank bag. www.competitionaccessories.com has some other kevlar jeans that are supposed to have more kevlar than the draggin jeans called sliders. Icon also has a line of under clothes armor that is supposed to be very well hidden.

I rode my bike to my kids school to drop something off and they all called me the Red Power Ranger too. One kid asked if I was racing, I get looks at school too but F'EM I want to be protected.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:26 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

penst8grad
Maybe I should elaborate a bit. I have a 45 minute ride to class and have an hour at best to do it. No time to change, that's why I need something else. Thanks for the suggestions. Keep 'em coming.

SH22, I like those boots. Do they protect any better than a pair of Timberlands though? I really look for ankle suport since one of the few times I road w/o boots I turned my ankle. 2 years later it still hurts.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:15 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Somewhat but not as much as I really want, so I've been looking at these ICON Field Armor boots. Kneedraggers has them for $105, they also have the motorhead but they're $140 and I think these have more protection.
http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/...6--507579.html
Old 09-07-2006, 10:36 AM
Back Marker

blokeontheend
http://www.batesleathers.com/boots/

http://www.hoodjeans.co.uk/html/original.html

http://www.olympiamotosports.com/men...ng/mustang.htm

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/...t-p-16133.html

http://www.bohn-armor-pants.com/catalog/?prod=BGLA

http://www.dragginjeans.ca/
Old 09-07-2006, 01:29 PM
Back Marker

bkelsey
I wear the draggin jeans to work daily. I think they're a fair compromise between just jeans (no protection) and dedicated riding pants. I also wear waterproof army boots (just like mamma used to).

I'm still waiting for someone to post a picture of a pair of pink assless chaps
Old 09-07-2006, 02:02 PM
Superstock

selztoad is on a distinguished road
i have a pair of Icon kahki's they seem pretty sturdy and are pretty comfortable as well
Old 09-08-2006, 07:34 PM
v-twin4tmfw
Back Marker

996 is on a distinguished road
I was just dealing with this yesterday when I took my bike to my grad class. I kinda of felt like a tard with my joe rocket honda jacket, so I'm looking for a cold weather jacket that doesn't look like race gear. But then again, you will look dumber when you show up wrapped in gauze then if you have some leathers on.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:34 PM
Squid

zimm is on a distinguished road
I'm Navy and when I have to wear my kahki uniform, I use a Joe Rocket mesh jacket and a pair of thin gortex zip-on pants from REI the outdoors store. They look like black nylon ski pants, but no liner- they have zippers that go knee high so you can take them right off at the bike. I wear normal leather boots- as long as they cover your ankles, should be good enough protection.

So, take off pants shell, stuff them into your tank bag with your gloves, now you are just wearing a normal motorcycle jacket into class, which doesn't look too weird if you carry a helmet at the same time.

Now when it's winter time, I trudge my all the way up and through the ship and have to change out of my winter riding gear and I do get a lot of "nice suit, sir" and "where's the disaster, superhero?" comments. I just tell them I got to work twice as fast as they did (HOV lanes) and parked closer than the captain of the ship did to the pier, and they shut right up.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:56 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

penst8grad
I like the Icon Superduty Pants in Khaki. I think I'll get them. My winter jacket is much more tame and between the two, I'll be a Power Ranger no more.

I'll also wear a regular pair of timberlands instead of my red and black A* SMX boots.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:57 PM
Superstock

The cheapest place i found them was metric-sportbike.com they were like 70 i think
Old 09-11-2006, 08:18 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Zimm,

What ship? I transferred off the Big E 6 months ago. Now doing some instructor duty in NY.

MMC(SW)
Old 09-13-2006, 01:08 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

penst8grad
Originally Posted by selztoad
The cheapest place i found them was metric-sportbike.com they were like 70 i think
Can you post a link? I've tried every combination of that link I can think of and all come up invalid.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:23 PM
Superstock

http://www.metricbikes-superstore.co...FQJJFQodCUz95w
Old 09-14-2006, 06:18 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

penst8grad
Thank you.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:51 AM
Superstock

Radiaoktiv is on a distinguished road
i heart my Icon Motorhead boots

if you were at all considering them, id suggest going up a half size if you order them online. they run a bit small