General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Bafflectomy=Power???

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 06:45 AM
Squid

itsjason13 is on a distinguished road
Bafflectomy=Power???

I don't really have the funds to comfortably drop $500-$1K on exhaust right now, but I'm interested in getting power by changing the exhaust on my 03 SuperChicken... I'm not really concerned with sound... it's fine if it gets louder, yet more hp is my goal here.

Can I get more punch by doing the bafflectomy???

If so, should I just drill holes in the secondary baffle, or go all out and do a complete bafflectomy, with the 2" deep hole saw?

Of course a jet kit will be to come at some point...
Any advice, or experiences to share?
Old 06-30-2006, 07:58 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
I'm a fan of the bafflectomy but AFAIK there's been no "proof" of an hp increase. I find the full treatment to be too loud but I'd think it would have the most flow. The left can has a severe kink for chain clearance which most (all?) aftermarkets don't.

If you want a real world performance increase (at the expense of top speed), change your gearing. Best bang for the buck on the SuperHawk.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:58 AM
MotoGP

Oh and welcome to the site.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:02 AM
Squid

A Team
I drilled holes in the baffle wall and it does sound a lot better. But as for the power I didn't notice.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:04 AM
Squid

A Team
also I feel like cheap *** with holes drilled... so I am going to spring for some leo vince slip on's real soon.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:13 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Bafflectomy without jetting will gain you more throttle response and sound over outright power increase. Look for maybe 1 hp. With jetting, expect about 3 if it's done right, 4 if you're lucky.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:52 PM
Squid

itsjason13 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for help guys. Looks like I might have to spring for a new set of pipes...but gearing is a good idea too. I may go 1 down in the front and 2 up on the rear, at least for wheelie purposes. :-)

I just moved back to the East coast from living in the Los Angeles area...and I'm REALLY missing those canyon rides through Angeles Crest and up the 18.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:31 PM
Superstock

Duck007 is on a distinguished road
When you say you drilled holes in the baffle walls...where exactly do you drill? Around the opening at the rear of the pipe but within the larger ring? I've gotta do something to liven up the sound of my '05 but don't have the bucks for exhaust right now. Thanks....also...what size bit are we talking?
Old 06-30-2006, 02:28 PM
MotoGP

Yes, you drill between the inner and outer tips. I start with 4 holes spaced 90 degrees apart and go from there. Test ride before adding more to suit your taste. You'll notice that the rings are not concentric and thus you'll need a smaller bit on the bottom side. A full bafflectomy involves drilling or punching out the entire surface area between the two rings and then pulling the inner baffle tube (ring) out completely leaving just the chrome outer "outlet". The pulled baffle also has a couple of tack welds that can either be easy or a bastard to break loose.

This is a FAQ and if you do a search you should find plenty to read, even diagrams, pics, etc.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:12 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
And there's my website too with step-by-step instructions on the full b-ectomy.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:24 PM
Squid

A Team
Originally Posted by Duck007
When you say you drilled holes in the baffle walls...where exactly do you drill? Around the opening at the rear of the pipe but within the larger ring? I've gotta do something to liven up the sound of my '05 but don't have the bucks for exhaust right now. Thanks....also...what size bit are we talking?
It's just like bling says, except on my 05 there is less room on top of the rear opening. I used 5/16 across the bottom and left the top alone.

After reading Greg's sweet how to on it, and actually doing it are two different things. It looks like a bitch.

Good Luck
Old 06-30-2006, 06:04 PM
Superstock

Yeah, Greg I checked out your website (actually found that site before this forum), thanks for posting the sound clips, that's what got me thinking the drilled holes will work for me.

I just want it a little louder....don't wanna **** off the neighbors. I have a guy with a Harley that lives on the street behind me. He leaves his house at 6am most days and I swear I can hear him until he's a couple miles away. Don't want that...just want it to sound a little more like a twin. I'll start with 4 holes and go from there.

Now I just have to wait for my wife to get out of the house for a while this weekend so I can get drilling. She'll think I'm retarded if she catches me drilling holes in my bike.....
Thanks for the help guys.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:46 PM
Superstock

Talking

Ok, she went out for groceries.....here's a pic of my just completed 4 hole partial. I'll take'r for a spin first thing in the morning and check out the sound!!!
Old 07-05-2006, 05:56 PM
Superstock

Ok, several rides later.....I like it. True....I do feel a little cheap going this route but the sound is cool enough for now. Left it at the 4 quarter inch holes. Simple solution to change the stock sound, that's for sure.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:10 AM
Superstock

mikecronis
Go down 1 in the front for uber-cheap. Remember your speedometer will be off by about 7% (so 100mph is really 93mph, on top of the 7% your bike's speedo is -already- off by, it'll probably be more like 100mph is really 86mph.)
Old 07-31-2006, 01:07 PM
Squid

RevHigh is on a distinguished road
Thanks Greg (Hawkrider) for the details on your website. I did the full baffleoctomy about 3 years ago because I found your site. I'm now able to post this as a thank you. Sorry for being 3 years late on the Thank you but it later is better than never. Great site!

The full baffle removal does make the SH sound 100% better over stock. Stock sound reminded me of the jetsons mobile. Now my SH roars and sounds like a beast on downshifts.

That being said, I went and bought two carbon fiber cans in order to build a custom slip on application. I couldn't see myself spending 700-800 for two mufflers that don't give me any more power per sey. I got two carbon cans (new) for $175.00 I have an exhaust guy that will custom bend the pipes for me to attach from the stock header to the pipes.

I'll post pics of the setup when done. Right now the SH is torn apart while I'm really considering the hooligan-streetfighter conversion.

Thanks all for the great info.

John

'05 Busa
'98 SH
'97 VT1100C2 cruiser
'06 YZ125
2 - '03 YZ450F
Old 07-31-2006, 04:04 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Y'Welcome! I need to do an update on the site. Been too busy riding lately to spend any real effort on it though.