Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

K1/K2 Calipers confusion, help please

Old 03-03-2009, 10:26 AM
Another OCMD victim...
Back Marker

Firestorm996 is on a distinguished road
Question K1/K2 Calipers confusion, help please

Hello all. I am about swapping in GSXR Calipers in my SH, now i have 3 offers and all 3 vendors claim the calipers are from either a K1 or a K2 model, which would be ok.
The only problem is, all 3 calipers seem to be different on the pictures (and i dont mean the color.. ).
Can anyone here determine which calipers would be ok to buy?
For me the black calipers seem to have a different bolt distance, but i can be wrong.

Any advise is highly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Regards from Spain
Attached Thumbnails K1/K2 Calipers confusion, help please-k1k2-1.jpg   K1/K2 Calipers confusion, help please-k1k2-2.jpg   K1/K2 Calipers confusion, help please-k1k2-3.jpg  
Old 03-03-2009, 10:30 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
The first one and the last one (not the black ones) look identical to me.. they are turned to different angles, but look like the same part.

The black ones don't match the other two.

I am fairly sure either of the gold ones are the right ones, but it is hard to tell from just a picture.

(one has the banjo bolts and not the caliper bolts, and the other has the caliper bolts and not the banjo bolts installed, but otherwise they seem to be the same.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:38 AM
Another OCMD victim...
Back Marker

Yes that is exactly my opinion too. The black calipers seem to be different, the golden seem to have at least the same bolt distance. I contacted the vendors for the measures, but no response yet.
Thank you.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:39 AM
Superstock

Killemall is on a distinguished road
The calipers in the first and last pictures are identical and it's what you should buy. I have them on my SH, and they bolt on directly. If you do this mod, I would reccommend installing also a larger MC.

Last edited by Killemall; 03-03-2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:04 PM
Another OCMD victim...
Back Marker

Any recommendations for the MC ?
Old 03-03-2009, 05:00 PM
Superstock

I got a CBR929 MC. It's ok but I would prefer one with even a larger bore diameter. Probably the best solution is to get the original 01-02 GSXR MC, assuming that it fits on the Superhawk handlebar.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:10 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
The first and last photos are the correct calipers you are looking for and are only found on the '01-'01 GSXR1000. The middle set is another six piston setup that can be found on many models... GSX1300R, GSF1200, just to name a few.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:36 AM
MLB
Back Marker

MLB is on a distinguished road
What are you guys paying for these? Is there a real benefit if you don't ride tracks or brake hard repeatedly or from high speeds?

In other words, day to day use. 45 mph and below. Worth messing with?
I don't find the SH underbraked in any way given how I ride.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:34 PM
MotoGP

It's not something that needs to be done.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MLB
What are you guys paying for these? Is there a real benefit if you don't ride tracks or brake hard repeatedly or from high speeds?

In other words, day to day use. 45 mph and below. Worth messing with?
I don't find the SH underbraked in any way given how I ride.
No... The SH isn't "underbraked"... more so over the top if paired with the stock springs, causing the front to dive...

But the difference with a "big brake" is that you can squeeese them and modulate the breaking a lot more... Obviously for this to work there needs to be a certain balance between the calipers and MC...
So Yes, there is a "real world" difference and gain...

With the brakes I have, I can most easily stand the bike up on the front or probably flip it over if I just grab the handle and jank it...

But I feel a lot more confident with slowly increasing the pull on the brakes knowing there is a lot in reserve, than with the stock trying to modulate the breaking, getting no bite in the start of the pull, and end up going late in the corner and having to use a lot of brake to correct...

That kind of gave me the feeling halfway through the corner that I need an anchor to throw out... Not because the brakes where inadequate... But because the stock brakes takes some pull on the handle to be effective, and then they clamp down hard...
Old 03-04-2009, 01:07 PM
Another OCMD victim...
Back Marker

Since i am joining regional Track Days a few times a year, i try to improve the overall performance of my Hawk. After changing to Spiegler brake lines, Wave discs and EBC Pads i found braking a lot crisper and more predictive, but i give the 6 piston calipers a shot and expect a even better result.
As for the MC, this will be the next logic step...

This forum is very inspiring, the database is incredible helpful and so are the members here.

Thank you all for the quick response.

Regards from Spain
Old 03-04-2009, 01:28 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Killemall
I got a CBR929 MC. It's ok but I would prefer one with even a larger bore diameter. Probably the best solution is to get the original 01-02 GSXR MC, assuming that it fits on the Superhawk handlebar.
The stock Suzuki mc for that bike is 5/8", which is the same size as an F4 mc and smaller than a 929 mc. The stock Superhawk mc is 14mm, which should work OK too.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:42 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Smaller MC gives you more stopping power but requires more lever travel, larger MC gives you less lever travel but requires more force to get the same stopping power.

(I think I have that the right way around)
Old 03-04-2009, 11:00 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Yup, that's right. And feel is all about a balance of the two and has a lot to do with the pad compound you use.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:14 AM
SuperSport

reaper is on a distinguished road
Doesn't the 01-02 gxsr have a radial mc which is supposed to be better than the conventional mc?

If the stock mc is 5/8", which approximates 15mm, I am better off keeping my 01 RC51 mc which is 19mm with the 6 pot calipers I am in the process of putting on the bike.

This setup would require a bit more pressure on the lever but greater braking if I have read this post correctly.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:11 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by reaper
Doesn't the 01-02 gxsr have a radial mc which is supposed to be better than the conventional mc?

No, it's not a radial m/c.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:15 AM
Superstock

I have 01-02 GSXR Tokico 6-pistons calipers + CBR929MC + HBC pads + Galfer lines with MC bleeder banjo bolt. I need to pull the lever about 1/8" before the brakes start biting very hard. I personally prefer feeling the front break lever tighter and a larger MC should basically give me more pressure with less stroke.

Reaper your setup should be perfect. If I remember correctly the RC51 MC is one of the largest that would fit the SH. I would have got that if I could find one at a reasonable price.

Last edited by Killemall; 03-05-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:54 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Killemall
I have 01-02 GSXR Tokico 6-pistons calipers + CBR929MC + HBC pads + Galfer lines with MC bleeder banjo bolt. I need to pull the lever about 1/8" before the brakes start biting very hard. I personally prefer feeling the front break lever tighter and a larger MC should basically give me more pressure with less stroke.

Reaper your setup should be perfect. If I remember correctly the RC51 MC is one of the largest that would fit the SH. I would have got that if I could find one at a reasonable price.
A larger mc piston gives a firmer lever at the expense of requiring more pressure at the lever for a given braking force. A smaller mc piston gives more braking force for a given lever input at the expense of more lever travel. It's all a balance, and pad compound also plays a big role.

I don't doubt that your setup works well, but you would actually get more braking force using a smaller mc.

Last edited by killer5280; 03-05-2009 at 11:01 AM.