Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Ignition control unit swap

Old 05-13-2009, 02:54 PM
Squid

skidid is on a distinguished road
Ignition control unit swap

I was wondering if anyone knew whether the 2001+ ICU could be used on the older hawks. I'm thinking a newer ICU would be better than using an ignition advance because it adjusts itself based on rpm as opposed to staying advanced like the rotor would do. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-13-2009, 03:19 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
I am fairly sure they use the same ICU across all years. The dash changed, and with that one of the two temp sensors and a fuel level sensor replaced the reserve light sensor, but the actual ICU stayed the same. (from what I can tell)
Old 05-13-2009, 04:25 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Well as far as I know there aren't any different between years... Don't know for sure though...

But I can tell you that running a newer one worked as normal on my 97 when a friend had problems and we where swapping things around to troubleshoot...
Old 05-13-2009, 05:22 PM
Squid

I know the part numbers are different. I've read that the ignition rotors don't do anything for the 2001+ bikes because the ignition already has a built in curve. I can't find where I read that now but I know it was in a discussion about the "Factory" ignition rotors. Was the ICU you swapped out a 2001+?
Old 05-13-2009, 05:53 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by skidid
I know the part numbers are different. I've read that the ignition rotors don't do anything for the 2001+ bikes because the ignition already has a built in curve. I can't find where I read that now but I know it was in a discussion about the "Factory" ignition rotors. Was the ICU you swapped out a 2001+?

Even the earlier models have a 3D ignition map. It varies the ignition advance with rpm as well as throttle position (that's the reason to keep your TPS adjusted correctly). Maybe there was some changes to the ignition mapping or something, but otherwise I kind of doubt you'd see any improvement by switching.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:14 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
There is a difference between the ICM's, at the very least a physical difference. There probably aren't any performance gains to be had though. I'm sure it has everything to do with emissions. Every 2001-up VTR that I've had my hands on (including my '05) pauses at 2k rpm before returning to idle whenever it has been revved. Don't know why, they just do.

Last edited by inderocker; 05-14-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:50 PM
Squid

Alright, forget it then. It would be cheaper to do the ignition advance anyway. I just was wondering if the ICU swap would be a better choice. Thanks for your help. Nice forum, I get on here whenever I need help with anything but have never needed to post because usually the question has already been answered in a previous thread. I guess that's a testament to how much info in on here. Thanks again.