Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Hayabusa control swap (in progress)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 04:41 PM
Back Marker

mdbuehler
Hayabusa control swap (in progress)

The left side showed up first, so went ahead and started wiring things in. The Hayabusa doesn't have running lights from the look of things, so that is something you lose, but you gain pass to flash switch, the choke being on the handlebars (big plus!), and the switches on the turn signal are MUCH better (my stockers are mooshy, tricky to cancel).

I cut off the Busa connector and 1/3 of the extra long harness, then cut the stock set off nearly at the switches themselves, and opened up both looms:

The matching up for the leftside is as follows (ymmv, no guarantees!)

Haya -- Hawk

B/Y -> B
B/Y -> B
B/Bl -> Lg
B/W -> WG
L/Bl -> Gr
B -> O
Lg -> Lb
O/R -> (Bu/W I believe, flash to pass and I have no high beam so didn't do it)
Y -> Bu
Y/W -> Bu/W
W -> W

Superhawk's Green ties back into Superhawks Green for the horn. Not sure why that wanders off then comes back a different color, but the Busa only has a two wire horn and the Hawk used three. Works fine for me.

I twisted the pairs together, then soldered them heavily, shrink wrapped the connections, then wire taped the loom closed.

I'll get the choke going a bit later today, but that looks like it'll be fairly easy.

Physically they fit on the bars I have OK (they are 929 clipons) and just barely clear the clutch lever, so no issues there.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:02 AM
Back Marker

mdbuehler
All done!

The choke was a bit trickier, I ended up cutting the original pull **** off, then splicing the new choke cable into the old one with a crush connector, then secured that to the right side of the forward carb. Works perfect, and I've now a fully functional choke on the left handlebar

Right side wiring matches up as so:

Haya -- Hawk

Y/B -- Y/R
O/B -- Bl/W
R -- B/R
O/W -- B
O/R -- Bu/W
Y/W -- B/R
B/R -- G/Y
B -- W/G

To find that red on the Hayabusa side, you need to split the harness up near the switches. It actually ties back into the O/W wire, since on that bike you can't crank it with the engine set to off. Wasn't sure how to wire that functionality into the Hawk, so broke it back out as Red.

End result:

Might wire the speedo healers 'top speed' display into one of those extra switches Really like the look and feel of these controls!
Old 04-22-2009, 02:54 AM
Back Marker

Malice is on a distinguished road
Cool upgrade and once again great write up! Can you post a closeup of the choke?
________
Streaming Xxx

Last edited by Malice; 05-01-2011 at 07:32 AM.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:03 PM
Back Marker

mdbuehler
Thanks! Next time I have the tank off (will be painting in a week or two) I'll pull the airbox off and snap some pics. Not much to it!