Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Idle problem after rejet.... help please.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:27 AM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
Idle problem after rejet.... help please.

Hey all,

I bought a set of Jardine RT-1's for a smoking deal and put them on then took the bike to Fey Meyers in Denver, for a re-jet. Well, I got the bike back yesterday and it runs great and sounds great!

Problem is, it runs great after its warmed up. When I start the bike cold now, It will barely hold its own idle until the temp. gauge reads 140. after that it purrs at 1k RPM. Soooo, I have to sit there and babysit the bike for awhile until it gets up to temp. by constantly blipping the throttle......this will get annoying soon.

Before the rejet and exhaust, I would simply pull the choke and let it idle for less than a minute, then push the choke back in, blip the throttle, and the bike would idle great!

So, is there an adjustment I can expect from the shop to fix this? or is this normal for my situation and I must live with it??

Thanks amigos!
Old 04-18-2010, 08:41 AM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
shizzy, Try upping the idle a few hundred rpm, to as high as 1400 or so. If you don't know, it's the black plastic **** accessible from the right side below the carbs. You can just get your fingers in there to adjust it.

Congrats on getting some nice sounding cans. When I get my bike back from repair (after being redlight rear ended) it'll have Yosh titanium slip-ons. By the way, don't toss those stock cans, they're $1100 a pair from Honda, as I found out.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:58 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
Does the choke make it better when cold or no effect on it? Once warm what does it idle at?
Old 04-18-2010, 09:02 AM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

the choke has an effect, but not enough to keep it from dying. once warm idle is around 1000 to 980.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:04 AM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

thanks guys for the input. 1100 bucks from honda!!?? no one in there right mind would pay that...or would they? hmmm.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:05 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
did they tell you the new setting when they rejetted? like main, pilot, needle position and AF screw settings? If it runs great everywhere else, then I would guess it might be the choke cable/s not inserted correctly or possible the AF screw. If you take off the air filter box you can check the choke circuits - just remove them be sure they are working right and then reinsert. and if they look like they are in right just pop off the carbs enough to back out the a/f screw 1/2 turn.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:33 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by cliby
did they tell you the new setting when they rejetted? like main, pilot, needle position and AF screw settings? If it runs great everywhere else, then I would guess it might be the choke cable/s not inserted correctly or possible the AF screw. If you take off the air filter box you can check the choke circuits - just remove them be sure they are working right and then reinsert. and if they look like they are in right just pop off the carbs enough to back out the a/f screw 1/2 turn.
+1
Old 04-18-2010, 10:36 AM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

nope, they gave me no spec.s on where everything was set. I turned the idle up a bit and that seems better for now. I'll have to take it out again and get a feel for whats going on.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:23 AM
Back Marker

storm_rider is on a distinguished road
The shop should have only installed larger main jets for the exhaust retrofit.

I would ask them what they did exactly. Strange that idle has been affected as installing larger main jets should not have affected idling.

The shop should fix what they did. You didn't pay them to screw things up.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:26 PM
Back Marker

Red_Liner740 is on a distinguished road
larger main jets have nothing to do with idle.

for one the idle is set too low...its supposed to be 1200 warmed up, mine will idle at 1300 warm and 1000 rpm cold

so if you bump the idle up higher it should help.