General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

2 brothers M5 titanium slip-ons -- rejet?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 06:45 PM
Blue Racer
Squid

Blueracer is on a distinguished road
2 brothers M5 titanium slip-ons -- rejet?

ok here's the deal I just rejetted last season with my OEM pipes after I installed a BMC filter. Will I need to do this again after the Hi-mounts are installed? Rejet necessary (remember I am not handy & have to pay...)

Last edited by Blueracer; 04-20-2010 at 07:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-20-2010, 07:33 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Put some fresh plugs in, run it a few hundred miles then pull them out to see what color they are. Tan is good, black is rich, white is lean.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:07 AM
Blue Racer
Squid

ok the TBR was installed a few days ago. The look/sound great. Took it for a 30min ride and noticed that the exhaust had a stronger smell than usual little richer. It may be nothing do you think it is an issue?
Old 05-15-2010, 07:50 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
I prefer to use less subjective approach to jetting then smell and plug color. While they can assist in helping diagnose it can be hard to use them for fine tuning. Plug color used to be a major helper, back when gas had lead in it still. Now it either looks tan or if really really rich sooty. At any rate to tell if the bike is jetted right get on it and ride it. It should pull cleanly from any RPM under any throttle amount. So if you slowly accelerate it should pull clean with no flat spots from 2500 all the way to redline, same if you wack the throttle all the way open. The next step is economy IMO if you aren't shooting for the stars HP wise you should get at least 40mpg cruising freeway miles and about 35+ even when having some fun. If you get way less then even though the bike feels like it is running strong it can and probably should be leaned out more. So since you would be paying some one to do it I would test ride it first for sure if it runs the way I described then there isn't much to be gained from jetting.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:27 PM
Blue Racer
Squid

thanks good points
Old 06-03-2010, 08:46 PM
Blue Racer
Squid

ok I finally got the bird out here is the end result 26mpg -- that sucks!
Put 93 octane gas in it - let it warm up 180F with choke open then push it in let it warming to 190F then I'm off. Did normal riding at 5,000rpm (1/2 hwy - no more than 75mph & 1/2 city 40mph - not stopping idle at lights much). The tank holds 4.7 gallons with .7 reserve included - right? Well I burned through 2.5 gallons with 65miles on the odometer = 26mpg. Quick history the bike is 2003 with 3,800 miles on it just rejetted last year with the OEM pipes and a BMC airfilter. Now with a freash oil change and new TBR M5 high-mt I was/am hoping i won't have to be rejetted it. Sounds good, running great (enhanced performance), no flat spots but does have a stronger than normal exhaust smell?? wasn't sure if it's the new pipes burning the factory crap out essentially breaking them in or if that is simply how TBR smells?? Most folks say that VTR should get 35-40mpg? What are your thoughts guys? Keep inmind I am not handy I can't run any test any recommendations I'd have to take to the shop to do. Simply want to know if this is normal for my bikes alterations from stock? What would you do?
Old 06-03-2010, 09:21 PM
Superstock

spladle160 is on a distinguished road
What kind of mileage were you getting with the stock pipes? sounds rich. and even you can (already have) test it.
1. does the exhaust smell like gas?
2. are the spark plugs black instead of gray?
if so, ding! ding! ding! you running rich which means you would have been even richer with the stock pipes. Who jetted and tuned it last time?
Old 06-04-2010, 07:36 PM
Blue Racer
Squid

it does smell like gas
it got about 35mpg before
not looked at the plugs yet
had local dealer rejet last year (didn't have the smell or loss of mpg until TBR install)
think it need to be rejetted or what?