Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Hotter Spark

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 12:49 PM
Squid

jdobeckj is on a distinguished road
Hotter Spark

Ok, I have been toying around with the idea of trying to get a hotter spark for my hawk. In my cars n trucks a hotter spark and proper air intake provides a better fuel burn and more power.. Can the same be for the hawk.. if so HOW???.
:: stock electronics and a slightly upgraded intake. ie: K&N::
Old 04-01-2012, 03:36 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
See E. Marquez's and Tweety's comments on the coil on cap mod, 8541 Hawk's carb set up post and search for Dr. Honda's velocity stacks.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:06 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Give it a shot, easy enough to change it back. I did play with hotter plugs on my other bikes and it works well, but haven't tried the Hawk yet, let us know how that goes.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:13 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
2011 Honda CBR1000RR | Longterm Test - Super Streetbike Magazine

May give these a try at some point.....

Last edited by mikstr; 04-01-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:38 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
$750?!?
Granted 1/2 that for us but still...
Old 04-01-2012, 07:54 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Agreed Steve, damn expensive for coils......
Old 04-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

rz_racer_69 is on a distinguished road
With an average increase in gas mileage of 4mpg for the CBR, if it were to apply to the SHawk too, and an average gallon of gas costing $3.80, it would only take ~22k miles (or about 2 years for me) for them to pay for themselves (Assuming $325 cost), and that extra 16 miles in range per tank wouldn't bother anybody. Would be very interesting to see how the SHawk would respond to such a mod.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:08 PM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

Looks like weaponX has a different supplier now. $69 per coil. http://www.weaponxperformance.com/ca...roducts_id=294
Old 04-01-2012, 09:31 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by rz_racer_69
Looks like weaponX has a different supplier now. $69 per coil. http://www.weaponxperformance.com/ca...roducts_id=294
Still very expensive, on the Hawk if it will increase anything, it will probably be 2 HP more, hmmmm... not worth the investment!
Old 04-05-2012, 07:31 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
The heat range of a plug has nothing to do with the temperature of the spark, which is the same whether you use a hot plug or a cold plug.

The heat range simply designates how quickly the plug cools off between firings. A hot plug has a longer heat path, and remains hotter between sparks, not good for heavy loads, i.e., racing. A cold plug, with a shorter heat path, is better suited for racing, but will allow deposits to build up during normal everyday driving conditions.

That's why it's best to use what the manufacturer recommends, unless you're into hard core racing.

And "hotter" coils would only benefit if you had increased compression, which would require more voltage to fire the spark. Increased compression increases resistance to the spark.
The sum of all answers, great info', Thanks VTRsurfer
Old 04-05-2012, 09:04 PM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

...And "hotter" coils would only benefit if you had increased compression, which would require more voltage to fire the spark.
That doesn't seem to agree with the results from the actual testing done in the linked page. If your statement here is accurate, how do you explain the results they posted on a stock CBR? Bear in mind, this test was supposedly done by someone who had nothing to do with the product, and didn't actually think they would help, much like you. Or, are you saying that the VTR's motor is of such low compression that it wouldn't benefit the way the CBR's motor did? I always thought a hotter longer spark would be mildly helpful to get a more complete burn, especially considering the large size of our pistons and combustion chamber.*
Old 04-06-2012, 05:46 AM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

Sure, but all that being said, why did they get measurable results on the dyno in the article? And if in fact the dyno results are accurate, why wouldn't the factories use the technology to gain another small percent of power, or is that the reason right there, too little return on the cost investment.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:14 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
I can't explain that. I taught a 360 hour Tune-up and Emission Control class (4 hours/day, 5 days/week) for over 34 years. I had students asking all the time about various cheap ways to get easy horsepower. Basically it's like the saying, "There's no free lunch"... then a student (average age of my students was usually about 30) would say, "What about Las Vegas? Free lunch there", and I'd say, "But it wasn't really free, was it?"

Splitfire spark plugs advertised 10 extra horsepower when you install their plugs. But when we were at an NHRA Career Fair in Pomona, back in the '90s (when Splitfire was advertising big time), a student asked John Force, Tony Pedregon, and 4 other racers who were sitting on a panel, "What spark plugs do you use in your cars?" All 6 replied either NGK or Autolite. 'Nuff said.

Who knows under what conditions the before and after dyno runs were done. Consumer Reports has shot down many automotive products through the years, by doing their own independent tests.
Well... I got measurable results with a "hotter" spark... About 3-4 bhp on a dyno...

BUT, and this is a big butt... I measured the difference between low mileage CBR 600RR coil on cap parts, vs high mileage, 14 year old stock parts on the VTR, and I did it on a heavily modified engine with larger, high comp pistons amongs a lot of other mods...

And besides, I was suspecting I was beginning to have an issue with grounds and cables on the coils, since my bike had begun having starting issues...

With that kind of logic, where you compare new parts with old and worn, I can easily find ~10 bhp on any bike... But I know that in my case I would most likely have picked up the same numbers if I swapped in new OEM parts... But, I did this for less money, saved weight and clutter, and I no longer have a coil exposed to weather... So in my mind it's worth it, even if it didn't really gain me any bhp... It simple brought back the ones that had gone missing...

So, back to what VTRsurfer said... "No free lunches"... It wasn't free, but it was cheap... And I doubt any aftermarket add on thingamjiggy will be either free or cheap, or give any better result... Go with what works...

Last edited by Tweety; 04-06-2012 at 11:21 PM.