Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

"hotter" coils????

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 06:20 PM
Back Marker

call me phil
"hotter" coils????

does anyone know if anyone offers a "hotter" coil and spark plug wires for the SuperHawk? i have always been a firm believer in MSD and ACCEL coils and wires and was wondering if there was anything like that for our bikes. any help is appreciated.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:18 PM
Seņor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
I agree it would be fun to do for the heck of it, and I probably would do it if it were cheap.. but I haven't heard of any, and, to the best of my knowledge, it would really do about nothing in terms of performance gains, unless the need arose because of some over-the-top performance mods.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:35 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
A hotter coil may toast the ignition computer, they have a lower primary resistance than stocker. Maybe some "smart"coils could fill the bill.
Honestly, I think that the problem on the superhawk is the less than optimal timing maps, add the stupid carburetors to that and you have a bike that can gain a lot from some tweaking. I have seen a 4 degree advanced pulse generator wheel, anyone use this ?? How is it ??
Old 05-23-2007, 07:13 AM
my e-penis is huge!!
Superstock
Superstock

SPRHK is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a 4 dg. Ign. adv. rotor in my bike. Works very well. Gives a little more midrange grunt. I still want to adjust my TPS.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:34 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I have one too. Not fun to install but it's about 1hp gain across the board and better throttle response. For the price it's one of the best power to cost ratios out there (if you do the work yourself), but the actual gain is minimal. Rumor is it's supposed to return better gas mileage too.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:48 AM
Superstock
Superstock

wyldryce is on a distinguished road
Does Dyna make a ignition box for the Superhawk? I haven't looked into it. I have one on my bandit, and love it. Great maps compared to stock, and for the Turbo setup I have, they have a pressure switch that activates a timing retard function. you can set the pressure it kicks in, and how much timing it pulls. Not that useful for N/A Superhawks, but cool none the less. I would think someone has made a better ignition setup... Nobody has made an RC-51 computer work I am assuming. Of course, without injection, all that information would be discarded, but maybe the timing portion could be used. Tricking the Honda computer into not freaking out when its not getting any info back from the injection might be difficult though.

-R
Old 05-24-2007, 12:27 PM
Superstock
Superstock

wyldryce is on a distinguished road
hmmm... looks like there is a company called Ignitech that makes a VTR ignition box. Looks pretty cool. Anybody here running it?

http://www.ignitech.cz/english/aindex.htm

-R
Old 05-24-2007, 12:43 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
RE: Factory Pro 4 degree advancer

I too was interested in possibly using one then I read this by Roger Ditchfield of Revolution Racing:

I understand that these "bolt-on" accessories do have their attractions and in the case of some models of bike be a worthwhile mod. However on the relatively low revving VTR there is very little improvement.
While developing the racing versions of the VTR from ST1 up to ST3 Superbike spec (152bhp @ R/Wheel) we spent many days testing ignition timings with programmable electronics (thanks to loaned equipment from Gerrit Ten Kate - before he was famous) only to find that retardation of 1.5 degrees between 3500rpm and 42000rpm and advancement of 2 degrees from 5500rpm to 10800 rpm (we had removed the normal street rev limiter) were the only changes that showed improvement.
The majority of after market advancers are "across the board" affairs and usually giving 4 to 6 degrees of advance. On the VTR this will serve only to make the engine run hotter!!!
All our testing was done under strict "control circumstances" along with telemetry where improvements were actually and consistantly MEASURED and results re-checked. I would find it hard to believe that anyone has done as much exhaustive testing and development of VTRs we have. We were being paid by HRC to undertake the European development work while Mamoru Moriwaki was doing the same in Japan.
Hope this helps in your deliberations

Regards
Roger

Take it for what it's worth
Old 05-24-2007, 01:09 PM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
a little off the 'bike' topic.

i'm suprised that the aftermarket coil / ignition market hasn't really taken off since the price of gasoline has skyrocketed. i think i remember it right that the hotter coil - better burn = better fuel milage. i guess the vortex/tornado POS is taking up all the ad space.

tim
Old 05-24-2007, 10:09 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Here's the dyno from FactoryPro:
Old 05-25-2007, 03:57 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
What about toasting the computer with a "big" coil, the part of the computer box that grounds the coil to charge it up will see more current due to the lower resistance of "big" coils. Someone got to try it or choose an aftermarket coil that have it's own relay circuit, means that the bike's computer only trigger the relay and it's built in, beefed up command circuit takes the heat. I guess that many race coils could fill the bill.