Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Horrible MPG - Need Jet Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 08:26 AM
Squid

Gizzmo_jr is on a distinguished road
Horrible MPG - Need Jet Advice

Okay, first off I'd like to apologize for adding another jet kit post. I just want to be sure I get the right info and right setup.

Info: I get horrible MPG, low-mid twenties (not highway, rarely get highway driving opportunities). I'm absolutely sure its running pig rich. I can't recall what my pa did, we had a 3k rpm bog with the pipes originally and he switched up the jets for a different size (non adjustable, different sized Honda stock). It runs fine I think, never rod it before the modifications thou. When he gets back in town tonight I'll ask what he put in out of interest.

Hardware: Hindle Highmounts, K&N, PAIR Enabled

Question: I wanna know what are the settings I should use for a jet kit. I've done alot of searching and Factory-Pro seems to be the kit, not that I want to shoot down Dynojet. From what I gather, is this the right set up?
182 front/185 rear
Stock pilot @ 45 (not the kit @ 50, I've read buying a Honda 48 too)
Mixture 2.25 out
needle clips 2nd from the bottom
Location is 70-110m above sea level

While I've got the tank and everything off, should I flip the PAIR system and disable it? I have no problem with the popping, kinda like it most of the time but if it is effecting my AFR/emissions i'd happily disable them in a heart beat.
Thanks for the help in advance
-Matt
Old 06-16-2008, 09:47 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
I'm no jetting expert so I'll leave that to others but the 3k bog is solved with a needle adjustment not jetting so I think that's where your problems began. I had my clip set at the 2nd slot from the top (flat end part of the needle).

IIRC, most folks run 178/180 jets with pipes. Maybe the K&N requires larger?

PAIR shouldn't have any affect on your situation.

Good luck.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:49 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
you do realize the SH is not a econobike.. Most people get in the low 30's and some as good as the mid 40's average but that's about it. (I get 28-35mpg depending on how hard I twist it's tail)

However low 20's does seem pretty bad. With a K&N you have been jetted for sure (as it normally won't run well at all with a K&N and stock jets).

The Factory Pro kits are the easier ones to install, though the DynoJet is quite popular too.

As for PAIR it isn't going to affect MPG or AFR, and if you get emissions tested you might not pass after removing it.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ead.php?t=9875
Old 06-16-2008, 11:19 AM
Squid

Thanks for clearing up the PAIR topic, I'll leave it for now until the popping gets old.
I understand that my economy is mainly effected by me twisting the throttle, but over all it does seem quite low.
I did alittle further researching and Dynojet (per there instructions) and they suggest with highflow pipes and K&N, running 190/195.

Here hawkrider explains pretty much the settings I suggested for a K&N/exhaust setup. Now he's running FactoryPro so I would imagine his needle sizes were based off that kit.

EDIT: This is reassuring about the DJ kit.

Last edited by Gizzmo_jr; 06-16-2008 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:48 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
I live in the Stoney Creek area at about the same altitude. My VTR has Leo Vince slip-ons, a BMC filter and the PAIR is enabled. I've got a Factory Pro 1.1 kit. 180/182, needles in the middle slot of five with a .5 mm. washer, 48 pilots, both adj screws set a 1 1/2 turns out. I tried the needle in the 4th slot from the blunt end and a .5 mm washer. While the bike pulled like Jack the Bear, mileage was poor. Going back to the middle slot of five improved mileage to about 6.4 l/100 kms. with mixed city and highway riding and deliberate restraint with the throttle.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:47 PM
Squid

BAH, see more proven numbers but with the Factory kit. Thanks comedo, anything is better then the 10.6-10.4L/100km I get now. I got a Dynojet set commin my way $60 new in store.

FYI, dad took the rear main 178 (i think, stock) put that into the front and a stock 180 from something else in the rear and called it a day. Oddly it worked, but rich as hell like I said.
I'll post up my final DJ kit setup once I get it installed.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:06 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Just remember with the DJ kit you have to drill the slide.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:13 PM
Squid

Okay, took lastnight and this afternoon and installed the kit. Got back from a ride 10min ago and holy **** mid-range pickup batman. The bike behaves at low rpm and lots of pickup and go mid and mid to high. It was rush hour so couldn't find a quick spot to open it wide up but i'm quite impressed.
Dynojet:
190 Front / 195 Rear
5th position on the needles (from top, flat side)
2 turns out on the mixers (figured I'd go with the suggestion on the thread I posted).

Fired up no problem, can't wait to see what the mileage is like. It doesn't have that the hesitation it somewhat had too. Oh disabled PAIR while I was at it too