Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Can I Squeeze Anymore MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 07:13 AM
SuperSport

reaper is on a distinguished road
Can I Squeeze Anymore MPG?

Rode with Hotbrakes and L8RGYZ yesterday, as the weather was warm and windy as Hell. As we stopped to refuel after a spirited ride we compared MPG and Hotbrakes was at 38, L8RGYZ was at 41 and I a lowly 33mpg and cannot figure out why. The bike seems like it is running a little rich, but I'm not sure what to address first. I did sync the carbs before the ride. Here are the particulars on what I have done to the carbs.

FP 1.0 carb kit
180 front and 182 rear
needles set at 4th from top
2 1/2 turns out on the pilot screws
K&N filter

In addition, I outweigh the two anywhere from 25 to 70# and was wearing a mesh jacket to their leather jackets.

Any ideas where to start my adjustments?
Old 02-12-2009, 07:18 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
hmm what about gearing the sprockets..?
Old 02-12-2009, 07:18 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
That's hard to campare.. they may have tucked in a little more than you cutting drag.. plus the weight you carry vs them hurts alot.

I'm sure you thought of that, though..
Old 02-12-2009, 07:33 AM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
I think the weight plus the mass protruding outside of the fairings is what does it. Maybe our bikes are still jetted stock or close to it so they are leaner. Could also be your right hand. If you were slowing down a little more for the turns then catching up on the exit you would be using more fuel. The slinky effect...I'll let you lead next time and we'll see if that brings the mpg's closer together. Its probably a combination of everything.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:40 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by nothing
hmm what about gearing the sprockets..?
Reaper's is 1 down in the front I believe, L8RGYZ is stock, and I'm -1 +2. That doesn't seem to affect it.

Reaper- what gas were you using? I use 87.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:47 AM
SuperSport

I use premium fuel and -1 in the front and stock in the rear.

Maybe it doesn't like hauling my gianormous *** around.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:18 AM
Back Marker

Nanotech is on a distinguished road
A spirited ride means 32-34 for me as well without being rediculous. 41 mpg if I stay at 3-4k RPM and accelerate like a peppy geo metro. Your bike sounds normal, and theirs sounds high to me.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:28 AM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Next time switch bikes and see what happens.

Rider weight and aero have to have some effect, but 20% sounds excessive. Why are you using premium?

I weigh nothing and tuck really low on highway trips. 35 mpg on a spirited ride, and up to 50 mpg highway.

You can't really compare mpg though except with bikes on the same ride. Spirited for me might be a snoozefest for someone else.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:35 AM
SuperSport

So it definitely wasn't the slinky effect then. Fagan said you were on his *** coming in and on it coming out.

87 should improve it by allowing the fuel to burn more efficiently. You could lean it out for higher octane fuel, but the gains would probably be negligible.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:57 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hotbrakes
Reaper's is 1 down in the front I believe, L8RGYZ is stock, and I'm -1 +2. That doesn't seem to affect it.

Reaper- what gas were you using? I use 87.
Trust me it makes a difference with gearing... Comparing L8RGYZ and you Hotbrakes I'd say the difference between the two of you is probably 50% the gearing in terms of MPG and 50% wrist if both bikes are tuned decently...

Reaper being heavier probably has to shift more as he is closer to stock... or is he's not, he's lugging it and that takes fuel...

If he is then running premium that means he is indeed running rich if it's setup the way it should be for 87... A VTR with a stock engine has no need for premium... it usualy only hurts MPG and pocket... No power benefit what so ever...

Start massaging the engine like some on here, and there might be gains...

So start by running 87 and see what happens...

Last edited by Tweety; 02-12-2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:03 AM
Back Marker

REDVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
want more MPG's do what i did, keep the hawk and pick one of these up for $150
Old 02-12-2009, 09:18 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Tweety
Trust me it makes a difference with gearing... Comparing L8RGYZ and you Hotbrakes I'd say the difference between the two of you is probably 50% the gearing in terms of MPG and 50% wrist if both bikes are tuned decently...

Reaper being heavier probably has to shift more as he is closer to stock... or is he's not, he's lugging it and that takes fuel...

If he is then running premium that means he is indeed running rich if it's setup the way it should be for 87... A VTR with a stock engine has no need for premium... it usualy only hurts MPG and pocket... No power benefit what so ever...

Start massaging the engine like some on here, and there might be gains...

So start by running 87 and see what happens...

There was only a 3mpg difference between L8RGYZ and mine, but there is a 50 pound difference between us and our gearing is far from the same.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:26 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by reaper
Rode with Hotbrakes and L8RGYZ yesterday, as the weather was warm and windy as Hell. As we stopped to refuel after a spirited ride we compared MPG and Hotbrakes was at 38, L8RGYZ was at 41 and I a lowly 33mpg and cannot figure out why. The bike seems like it is running a little rich, but I'm not sure what to address first. I did sync the carbs before the ride. Here are the particulars on what I have done to the carbs.

FP 1.0 carb kit
180 front and 182 rear
needles set at 4th from top
2 1/2 turns out on the pilot screws
K&N filter

In addition, I outweigh the two anywhere from 25 to 70# and was wearing a mesh jacket to their leather jackets.

Any ideas where to start my adjustments?

It looks like your slide needle is set pretty rich. Your idle screws are also a little on the fat side too. You didn't mention what you have for exhaust, but unless you have major modifications I'd say your jetting is off.

That said, my bike only gets 33-35mpg. Are you sure those guys got that much? Did you use their speedos or actual miles? You mention that the gearing has been changed, so you can't use the odo for your measurements.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:28 AM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by REDVTR1000
want more MPG's do what i did, keep the hawk and pick one of these up for $150
Yeah, I hear those are great for those short hops between the kitchen and the bathroom.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:01 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
You mention that the gearing has been changed, so you can't use the odo for your measurements.
I dont think that would affect the ODO readings.. Speedo/ODO arent driven from the transmission IIRC.. they are driven fron the rotation of the front wheel. Therefore, gearing wouldnt affect speedo readings.. just a different size tire would.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:08 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
FP kit ... did you use the 50 pilots or keep the stockers ?

tim
Old 02-12-2009, 10:28 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Cleveland
I dont think that would affect the ODO readings.. Speedo/ODO arent driven from the transmission IIRC.. they are driven fron the rotation of the front wheel. Therefore, gearing wouldnt affect speedo readings.. just a different size tire would.
On the VTR the speedo and Odo is driven by an impulse from the primary transmission... So gearing does affect it... Hence the market for the "Speedo Healer"...

Hotbrakes, yeah... But you said spirited ride... So then you are in the right powerband with your gearing, using what you have effieciently... getting decent mileage... L8RGYZ has stock so he's getting better mileage but less grunt/different gear...

I'm guessing you are heavier then him?
Old 02-12-2009, 10:34 AM
SuperSport

Riding yesterday, I never got out of third gear and maintained the rpms between 5-6.5K on the backroads.

I have Yoshi slip-ons that the cans have been cut down to 14".

Premium, I thought everyone is using premium.

Jamie, any thoughts to baseline carb settings?
Old 02-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
It looks like your slide needle is set pretty rich. Your idle screws are also a little on the fat side too. You didn't mention what you have for exhaust, but unless you have major modifications I'd say your jetting is off.

That said, my bike only gets 33-35mpg. Are you sure those guys got that much? Did you use their speedos or actual miles? You mention that the gearing has been changed, so you can't use the odo for your measurements.
+1 my bike gets 33-35mpg too...

I hear that ign adv will increase fuel mileage too, so do the guys with the best mpg have advanced ign timing?
RC
Old 02-12-2009, 11:52 AM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
I was doing 90mph around Lake Superior and had a huge tang bag plus a triple bag setup in the rear that limited me to a top speed of 130. I had +2rear and managed 43ish mpg. Spirited riding in the sense of passing cars non stop. I would look at your fueling and the manner in which you apply throttle.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by autoteach
I was doing 90mph around Lake Superior and had a huge tang bag plus a triple bag setup in the rear that limited me to a top speed of 130. I had +2rear and managed 43ish mpg. Spirited riding in the sense of passing cars non stop. I would look at your fueling and the manner in which you apply throttle.
Dang Bill, you sure your riding a SH? LOL! That's some good mpg numbers there...u got ign adv?
RC
Old 02-12-2009, 12:10 PM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
I also have a modified bike, but the one change that bumped the milage up 20-25% was to install a WORKING throttle position sensor and to set it correctly (assuming the ignition timing is correct to begin with).

Little things mean a lot.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:47 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
I had to grind my TPS to get the numbers that it should have for resistance. it made a little bit of difference, but the lightened flywheel really effects the bike as far as smoothness. I do not have ign advanced on the bike, and I do have a +1 front to get me close to stock ratio (good for 2-3mpg on a long trip). Two summers ago on the Lake Michigan go round I got 45mpg per stop. It is all how you ride it (plus my exhaust is the most effecient one ever made, I know cause I built it myself).

If you really wanted to change your fuel mileage, and give it down low grunt, get a set of adjustable cam sprockets and pull some overlap out of the cams. Granted you will lose top end, but if you care about fuel mileage, its a quick 3-5ish mpg.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:50 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by reaper
Premium, I thought everyone is using premium.
The compression ratio is so low on the superhawks that premium is not needed. But if you want to spend more $ at the gas pump feel free.

One thing that no one has mentioned is tire pressure. Have you checked your tire pressure lately?
Old 02-12-2009, 01:52 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Tweety
Actually lugging it is generally more fuel efficient. Throttling the engine down decreases fuel economy.

This sounds strange, but it's true. Compare making 50 hp by running 8,000 rpms at half throttle, vs running it full throttle at 4,000 rpm, or thereabouts. Obviously, lugging isn't good for longevity of the engine, but that's a different story.

I don't think premium is really going to hurt fuel economy in any measurable way, but it won't help it.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:56 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by PUSHrod
I also have a modified bike, but the one change that bumped the milage up 20-25% was to install a WORKING throttle position sensor and to set it correctly (assuming the ignition timing is correct to begin with).
Actually I averaged 50 mpg on a 150 mile highway stint back from Vegas...

...without a throttle position sensor.

It did effect idle though.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:08 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
Actually lugging it is generally more fuel efficient. Throttling the engine down decreases fuel economy.

This sounds strange, but it's true. Compare making 50 hp by running 8,000 rpms at half throttle, vs running it full throttle at 4,000 rpm, or thereabouts. Obviously, lugging isn't good for longevity of the engine, but that's a different story.

I don't think premium is really going to hurt fuel economy in any measurable way, but it won't help it.
In theory yes... But not in practice... Because if you are lugging it, it usualy means that the next second you are very likely to downshift and twist it... Especially if you are running in a pack and having fun...

Lower end of the throttle without lugging it is by far more efficient... the throttle is still snappy, and you aren't induced to downshift...

Premium affects fuel economy... It's not used at full efficiency... Hence higher consumption... And add to that that the settings in this case is rich...
Old 02-12-2009, 02:26 PM
SuperSport

Well I disagree. Making the same amount of HP at lower RPMs will always get you better mileage, in any circumstance.

Lower throttle requires more RPMs. I like to ride that way, because I can use the engine braking, and because I can tear up the canyons without shifting as much, but it really sucks down the gas.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:32 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
Well I disagree. Making the same amount of HP at lower RPMs will always get you better mileage, in any circumstance.

Lower throttle requires more RPMs. I like to ride that way, because I can use the engine braking, and because I can tear up the canyons without shifting as much, but it really sucks down the gas.
You know... I understand your point... but go over your post again... You are contradicting yourself...

Same HP = lower RPM = better mileage... I totaly agree with you here...

But lower throttle is something completely different... Lower throttle = lower RPM, not the other way around...

Changing the gearing however means changing at what RPM's you have power...
Old 02-12-2009, 02:36 PM
MotoGP

Also if you are lugging it it usually means your gearing is to tall... Hence why it leads to a downshift... And that burns more fuel than you saved for the few feet you where lugging it...

And this is why Hotbrakes is getting nearly as good mileage as L8RGYZ... He's geared for the way he rides, so he's at lower throttle in to turns, above lugging it... and got good power exiting without downshifting... (obviously different gear for fast and slow corners, but not going up/down all the time...)

Quick Reply: Can I Squeeze Anymore MPG?