Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Electric fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 06:01 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

bdizzle is on a distinguished road
Electric fuel pump

First off, i've been a member for a couple of weeks and i never introduced myself. Love the site, has alot of info on it and seen alot of mods that i have been thinking of doing. Anyway i have a 2000 hawk, not very many mods (d&d slip-ons, 15-43 520 gear ratio). One of my ideas is to fit a 2004-2006 r1 tail because it has the cut outs to fit undertail exhaust (and i like the way the tail looks). But the first thing i want to do is put the vfr tank on it and add a electric fuel pump. Now i've done a search on the electric fuel pump but it seems that no one has said on how it turned out. Really i just want to know if having a electric fuel pump has any advantages or if it's not worth it?
Old 09-20-2007, 07:54 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
I am not sure an Electric fuel pump would work, i mean would the SuperHawk Bowl floats be strong enough to keep the valve closed when the bowl was full of fuel or would the fuel pump over run the bowl valve and cause fuel to overflow out of the carbs.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:20 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Thumper
I am not sure an Electric fuel pump would work, i mean would the SuperHawk Bowl floats be strong enough to keep the valve closed when the bowl was full of fuel or would the fuel pump over run the bowl valve and cause fuel to overflow out of the carbs.
That thought came to my head also, then i remembered that on my cousins 4cyl. racecar, he had a set of 40mm mikuni motorcycle carbs and ran a electric fuel pump and had no problems.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:31 PM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point
Fuel pump

As long as the float level is below the bottom of the fuel tank a fuel pump merely adds complexity and another part that can leave you stranded.
A fuel pump needs electricity, gravity is free.
If you still want to use a fuel pump make sure it is one designed to run with carbs as opposed to fuel injectors, i.e. no more than 3-4 psi output.
It cannot be a positive displacement pump but has to be a bypass type.
Look at Honda's fuel pumps that where used on the F3/F4 and make sure you relay the circuit.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Kai Ju
Old 09-20-2007, 11:10 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
What would be the point of running a fuel pump. It's not required so why do it? Like kai ju said, gravity is free!

That's great! Can I use that quote in the future, kai ju?
Old 09-20-2007, 11:29 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

Well the only reason of the fuel pump idea was that the petcock gets in the way of the valvecover and that i could get the gas tank to sit a little lower in the rear. But if you think it's a waste of time and money then i could go with the petcock and see what i could do with that.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:52 AM
Squid

98greenchicken is on a distinguished road
With some work you can get a sumbmerged pump to sit in the tank and relocate the fuel outlet to the top of the tank. Any good parts technition can find a low PSI fuel pump. Just don't try to use anything from a fuel injected car, carburetor only.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:12 PM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point
Fuel pump.

bdizzle, why do you want to lower the rear of the tank ?

98greenchicken, installing an in-tank pump will reduce the already limited fuel range for this bike.

Hawkrider, be my guest on using the gravity quote, it's free, just like gravity.

Kai Ju