Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

here's the skinny

Old 06-07-2011, 06:27 PM
Jack of all Master of non
Superstock

3amta3 is on a distinguished road
here's the skinny

i changed out my CCT's and wouldn't you know it, it fixed it(the slapping noise) but now i have a tick during a load and backfiring during heavy load and i have a great loss of power.
my thought is that the timing chain skipped a tooth when i changed out my CCT's, unless there is good reason out there that is what i am going to go with... if you guys agree what might be the best way to do it and is it hard(time wise)?????
Old 06-07-2011, 06:59 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
If they are manual CCT's there is a possibility that you over-tightened them (as stress on the cam chain would cause the motor to bog down). Careful when adjusting, a member tried backing it off a couple of months ago and went too far and motor blew up.

If it were me, I'd take the valve covers off and see what's going on in there. This way you can check the chain tension and timing in one step. I'd plan on an afternoon's worth of work if you've never done it before.

It's not particularly hard and doesn't take any special tools other than a couple of sockets and screwdriver.

You may have just saved yourself some serious damage if that slapping did go away
Old 06-07-2011, 07:02 PM
MotoGP

Unless you somehow bumped your choke open or something while working on the CCT's...
Old 06-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Superstock

yea the slapping did go away which was such a relief for me but when i herd it start doing what it is doing now i was pissed. untill i can get it running right and i check it all out i think it is best i stop riding it. it only has a big issue when i get on it, it then back fires and is sluggish. they are OEM CCT's so shouldnt be a problem. the sluggishness started after i changed the cct's along with the backfiring.
tank and seat have to come off right. fairings too? do i have to replace gaskets?
Old 06-07-2011, 07:14 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 3amta3 View Post
yea the slapping did go away which was such a relief for me but when i herd it start doing what it is doing now i was pissed. untill i can get it running right and i check it all out i think it is best i stop riding it. it only has a big issue when i get on it, it then back fires and is sluggish. they are OEM CCT's so shouldnt be a problem. the sluggishness started after i changed the cct's along with the backfiring.
tank and seat have to come off right. fairings too? do i have to replace gaskets?
Are you saying you changed your CCTs without pulling at least the rear valve cover to ascertain TDC?
Old 06-07-2011, 07:16 PM
MotoGP

You won't need to replace gaskets at all (there is a rubber one on each cover, but those are re-usable)

Can't remember if you need to take fairings off (mine have been off for a long time) but I think that they can stay on...

Seat and tank, yeah. You'll have to disconnect the oil cooler mount from the frame. What you're trying to get at are the four bolts that are holding the valve covers on. The front is much more tricky than the rear...

Once you get the valve covers off, you'll be able to check the timing.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:22 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by CrankenFine View Post
Are you saying you changed your CCTs without pulling at least the rear valve cover to ascertain TDC?
This is actually technically doable, but for us paranoid types, quick to dismiss as a satisfying install
Old 06-08-2011, 02:33 AM
Superstock

yes i changed the CCT's without pulling the covers. yes i kinow (dumb ***) but i thought i could get away with it by setting top dead center before i did it through the inspection port. some of us have to learn the hard way. atleast i took the advice to change out the CCT's that was for sure a problem but i herd so noise when i cranked it up the first time after that but nothing else. my noise was gone and the bike now idled very well... but found out yesterday that i have no power on takeoff and it backfires through the carbs during heavy acceleration. i will be pulling that stuff apart tonight, once it is done i should be as good as new.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:27 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 7moore7 View Post
This is actually technically doable, but for us paranoid types, quick to dismiss as a satisfying install
a lot of things are technically possible but not good ideas. (especially if you never did it before)
Old 06-08-2011, 04:42 AM
Superstock

i am not worried about doing it. i have built motors and bikes many times. i just never worked on this bike and did not know if there was a quick/easy way to get to what i need to work on........
Old 06-08-2011, 05:35 AM
MotoGP

i am not worried about doing it. i have built motors and bikes many times. i just never worked on this bike and did not know if there was a quick/easy way to get to what i need to work on........
Knowing that- yeah it's pretty easy.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:51 AM
Superstock

awesome, thanks. looking forward to it..lol not really
gotta do what ya gotta do though
i think doing this should fix the problem, if not maybe it is the coil or the ignition
Old 06-08-2011, 08:03 AM
Superstock

this is my baby

Here she is...... Yellow is faster by the way......
Attached Thumbnails here's the skinny-bike.jpg   here's the skinny-bike1.jpg   here's the skinny-bkie2.jpg  
Old 06-08-2011, 09:57 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Here she is...... Yellow is faster by the way......
Name:  icon_wanker.gif
Views: 123
Size:  372 Bytes

Yeah just keep telling yourself that, if it makes you feel better......
Old 06-08-2011, 10:54 AM
Superstock

nice stickman Hawk.
i can go zero to zero in zero sec. Beat that......... i look fast sitting still.....
Old 06-08-2011, 11:00 AM
Superstock

once i get this rattle taken care of i might be able to go fast while on the road. lol
atleast it is a V-twin and easy to work on.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:54 PM
Superstock

ok here is the update to the cam timing adjustment.... the front cylinder was just fine (a pain in the a$$ to get to, let me tell you!!) the rear cylinder on the other hand was so f-ed up i dont know how it was running. but i didnt make it any better lol i used the wrong stroke TDC mark. so now i only have 2 more strokes and one of them has to work. LMAO
Old 06-08-2011, 07:08 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
do you have the pdf file,it will show you all the proper markings and such.thats your best bet.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:15 PM
MotoGP

Your rear cam lobes should look like this when at TDC:
Name:  DSCN0403a.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  140.1 KB
Old 06-09-2011, 02:29 AM
Superstock

they do look like that but they where adjusted on the wrong stroke. you can turn the engine 3 revs and have different locations on you valves so i am sure i just adjusted at the wrong stroke of the engine. simple fix, atleast it is the rear cylinder and not the front one. i guess this will teach me to not follow directions next time.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:29 AM
Superstock

problem solved, thanks everyone for your help.
adjusted the cam one more time and it works like a champ.
still had a little rattle during acceleration but after reading some forums i figured i would try a few different things. the first thing i did was check my drive chain and wouldnt you know, it was loose. i tightened it up and sure enough noise is gone. now i have a little tick, i think it might be the carb valves, i can deal with that for now though......
I LOVE THIS FORUM thanks again everyone.