General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Forks are here!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 04:32 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Forks are here!

Thanks, Nemish! The rebuild is now officially on! Hopefully about two weeks now!
Old 04-27-2007, 09:59 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Get busy, you slack-***!
Old 04-27-2007, 10:00 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Speaking of which...Tom, you never called or emailed me with your questions! What up, bro? I need feedback on the forks!
Old 04-28-2007, 10:40 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nuhawk
Thanks, Nemish! The rebuild is now officially on! Hopefully about two weeks now!
Good luck Doug, build well, have fun, be safe, ride often.

I'll see if I can get home in about 10 months or so,,, The rebuild better be done by then,, Bike and robo wrist
Old 04-28-2007, 02:12 PM
MotoGP

You can count on that TXSC! You promised me you would do the shakedown on this bike and I'm going to hold you to that! I'll be here (or close by) when you get here.

Nemish, we have to go back to the "one in boiling water and one in the freezer" conversation. I'm taking pictures and will take more pictures as I move along. It's 79F and sunny and I'm working down back! Slacker - bullshit!

I rode some during the week so I'm not going to ride much this weekend. I will be going out for breakfast in the morning. Wish both of you were going along. Lows have been in the lower 60's and the mornings are just perfect. The afternoons next week are starting to approach 90. Bling will definitely be in the 90's next week!

Think fast and live to ride another day!
Old 04-28-2007, 03:21 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Sweet Doug. It's a good feeling putting it back together. Can't wait to see it done. How are you feeling?
Old 04-28-2007, 03:52 PM
MotoGP

I'm good, Beau! Thanks! I thought meeting with the surgeon was bad. How many times can you answer, "Does THAT hurt?"

Then he sent me to the neurologist who isn't a doctor at all. He tests Tazers. Then he brings out the big needle and says, "This is gonna smart." Two and a half hours of being shocked and poked with a needle. My mind is very right now, sir! My mind is very right now, sir! My mind is very right now, sir! My mind is very right now, sir! My mind is very right now, sir!

Next week they decide whether or not they want to cut. I got news for them
Old 04-28-2007, 07:52 PM
SuperSport

Stumpy is on a distinguished road
Will try to call tomarrow Greg pm me a time that will work ok. Just needed more time losing my friend hurt me more than I thought. Its hard holding your own feelings in check and looking out for friends that feel the same loss as me or maybe worse his class my brothers class Cars, Bikes, and Boats take there share there comes a time when everything that lives must make that final payment.

O by the way bike runs great has all new feel will take time to get use to. Tires feel really planted. But I changed Forks, tires, rearsets, rear rotor, steering head bearings, shock and swingarm bushings just to name off the top of my head. I just have some shock ? maybe you could look at my website and check out the shock so we can be on the same page cant wait to get it sorted out. Thanks again for the work
Old 04-28-2007, 08:56 PM
MotoGP

The forks are beautiful! Greg used my lowers and some uppers we found on ebay. One of the uppers was bent so Greg sent it to Boston to a company that straightens them. They brought .125" down to .002". Factory tolerances are twice that. The triples were straight but tired looking. Had been out in the weather more than once and the stops had been filed down. Somebody had rattle canned them and the **** was peeling off the lower. The upper was really dirty from keys and had a deep blemish on the left. After protecting the important mating surfaces I shot them with my sandblaster to clean them up. Because the lower is black it didn't photograph in enough detail to show up but it is markedly improved.

The top bridge almost looks new and the blemish at 8 o'clock is bearly visible. After the upper was blasted, I clear-coated it with some stuff from Advance AP.

It doesn't sound like a lot of progress but it took me last night cleaning in solvent then setting up the blaster and prepping for paint today. During the drying time I messed with other projects but all told it was about 6 hours working time to get this far.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:30 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Allright, Doug. For the bearing races, if the bearing fits around something then it gets put in boiling water. If it goes into something then it goes in the freezer. Clear?

Triple clamps look bitchin dude!
Old 04-29-2007, 01:26 PM
MotoGP

Yeah, I was half-kidding you on that one. The tapered bearings do not have all the parts that the stock ball bearings have because one of the races is internal to the roller bearing itself. The stock race at the bottom of the triple was wedged on pretty tight and had to be driven off. The new roller fits just snug but slid right on with the help of the vise. Besides, how you supposed to keep the grease in a packed roller if you put it in boiling water?
Old 04-29-2007, 02:19 PM
Superstock

sprhawk neil is an unknown quantity at this point
nuhawk, I've just been lingering since getting rid of my bike,but I must say I'm glad to see your rebuilding the hawk good luck with your project can't wait to see updates!! Neil
Old 04-29-2007, 06:18 PM
MotoGP

Good to hear from you, Neil! She wasn't as busted up as I thought so I'm bringing her back better than before. The heat will get here before I do any long distances so probably only enough time to shake her down 40-50 miles at a time. Keep hangin' around - we try to keep it entertaining!
Old 04-29-2007, 11:34 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Doug,

Have you picked out a hugger yet? You really need to get one, color matching be damned.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:29 AM
MotoGP

I know, I know! Yes, Mother, I know! Grrr! Believe it or not I have been looking since we first discussed this last winter. Maybe it's because I'm so cheap but I just have a hard time paying $130 to $150 on a little piece of plastic that is so fugging ugly!
Old 04-30-2007, 05:49 PM
MotoGP

Un problema

Houston, we got a problem. Before turning my attention for the evening to the VFR I was going to mount the triples on the VTR frame. Guess what, I have another reason to love Ebay! As you can see in the photos the ******* lower is no more a Superhawk lower than my ***. At first I thought I had it in backwards but on further review there is no way the steering stops will clear the large neck of the frame. This leads me to believe that this lower really belongs on a smaller bike. Do any of you recognize this triple? As you can see from the photo other particulars are missing as well. See the little mounting holes on the stocker? (that's one in back with the ball bearings on it) There are two holes on the Superhawk triple and only one on the Ebay merchandise.

The upper matches just fine but this lower is worse than worthless because it now wears $35 worth of AllBallz tapered bearings on it that cannot be recovered. Nems, if you agree, I think we should file a protest with Paypal on this seller. For the money we spent we got one straight fork tube and a fucked-up upper bridge. The rest of this **** was misrepresented. I don't call bent tubes used! I call the ******* bent! And I don't call it a steering stem for a Superhawk if it really belongs on an old CBR600. I swear I'd rather **** a possum than do business with Ebay!
Old 04-30-2007, 06:21 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Damn! I saw those dimples on the triples and I didn't have any doubt in my mind that they'd not be VTR items. They're the only ones I've ever seen with the dimples. This is strange. Let's see if we can recover from this without too much work, since so much has been done already.

Is the offset on the lower triples the same? If all that differs from the two are the stops and the mounting holes (for brake lines that you don't have anymore) maybe you can just grind the stops to (almost) match the VTR triples.

Also, are you 100% sure that your stock lower is bent? Try sliding the forks up in there with the upper triple installed and see if they align. If not then break out the grinder and see what you can do.

As far as ebay goes, yeah they suck (some sellers anyway). I'm at my work computer now so I don't have the link to the auction available at the moment. It's up to you if you want to pursue a refund from the guy. Personally, if you can salvage the situation easier with a grinder or using your old ones (if not bent) then that's the better way, IMO.

Doug, please don't bring up your barnyard follies, or whatever you Texas guys do, on the forum. This is a MOTORCYCLE FORUM. Please keep your sexual tendencies to yourself.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:30 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Houston, we got a problem. Before turning my attention for the evening to the VFR I was going to mount the triples on the VTR frame. Guess what, I have another reason to love Ebay! As you can see in the photos the ******* lower is no more a Superhawk lower than my ***. At first I thought I had it in backwards but on further review there is no way the steering stops will clear the large neck of the frame. This leads me to believe that this lower really belongs on a smaller bike. Do any of you recognize this triple? As you can see from the photo other particulars are missing as well. See the little mounting holes on the stocker? (that's one in back with the ball bearings on it) There are two holes on the Superhawk triple and only one on the Ebay merchandise.

The upper matches just fine but this lower is worse than worthless because it now wears $35 worth of AllBallz tapered bearings on it that cannot be recovered. Nems, if you agree, I think we should file a protest with Paypal on this seller. For the money we spent we got one straight fork tube and a fucked-up upper bridge. The rest of this **** was misrepresented. I don't call bent tubes used! I call the ******* bent! And I don't call it a steering stem for a Superhawk if it really belongs on an old CBR600. I swear I'd rather **** a possum than do business with Ebay!
Slow down Cowboy!...It's not Ebay, it's that seller...and hell yeah you can file a complaint with Ebay against that seller...Did you use Paypal? Cause if you did, then you will get your money back....And even if you didn't you can still get into it with that seller through Ebay and probably get it resolved...

Now I know you are pissed, hell it happend to me when I bought some rotors off a seller on Ebay, but I turned them back on Ebay and actually made money on them....that my be an option for you .....

Thant sucks, hope ya get it figured out!!
Old 04-30-2007, 06:33 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Houston, we got a problem. I swear I'd rather **** a possum on a cold Day!!
Um dude, really...
Old 04-30-2007, 07:57 PM
MotoGP

Yeah, well, sorry guys! You couldn't tell I was mad or anything, right? I'm ******* livid! I have studied the fiche and they are 1997 f3 lowers. I'd bet my possum on it. I'm not sure about grinding. The bearing is all greased up and we're going to spray it down with metal filings? The angle of the bolts is different and may interfere with the fairing. I just got a bad feeling about it. I think I'm going to put the top bearing on it, put it in a plastic bag and forget that I own it. I think in view of what we've put into these parts, we should retain the parts but submit for a substantial refund.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:47 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
OK,, the lower may be useless, but the new bearings are good to go. Press the stem from the tripple,, the bearing will come right off. It's how most techs get um off anyway.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:14 PM
MotoGP

10-4. TXSC! But is it worth it for $35? You never know who might have an f3 in their future, right? I gotta look at that joint again anyway. It is somewhat blind I think. I think the stem is pressed into the clamp but the clamp is "cupped" on the bottom side so you can't push it all the way through. It's a nice straight lower - it's just the wrong one!
Old 04-30-2007, 11:48 PM
Superstock

sprhawk neil is an unknown quantity at this point
set a time and date for a public execution make this a lesson to all idiot e-bayer's we won't have it
Old 05-01-2007, 06:59 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Speaking of Ebay...PLUG http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...7678&rd=1&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...8327&rd=1&rd=1

Special Forum prices,,,,Either one for $269 plus free shipping!!!

Back on Topic!