Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

help with the gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 07:33 PM
Squid

macworld
help with the gas tank

i put on a new tank for my vtr, put all of the hoses back on the tank, tightened everything up nice and tight, put some gas in it , wham, leak out the back of the tank. it is coming out of the petcock device. question A. it looks like there is a small hole on the bottom of the petcock, very small. i cant find a hose that would go to it. B. is there supposed to be a gasket for the petcock? any help on this matter is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:05 PM
SuperSport

AZZKIKER is an unknown quantity at this point
The petcock is vaccum operated by the engine and no gas should be coming out of it if the engine is not running. You are probably missing a gasket somewhere if gas is leakin out. Go to www.ronayers.com and check out the microfiche for the fuel tank and see if you are missing a parts somewhere. Good luck.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:21 AM
Back Marker

bluesman
Re: help with the gas tank

Originally Posted by macworld";p=&quot
i put on a new tank for my vtr, put all of the hoses back on the tank, tightened everything up nice and tight, put some gas in it , wham, leak out the back of the tank. it is coming out of the petcock device. question A. it looks like there is a small hole on the bottom of the petcock, very small. i cant find a hose that would go to it. B. is there supposed to be a gasket for the petcock? any help on this matter is greatly appreciated.
Vacuum operated petcock has a flexible plastic/rubber membrane in it. If it is damaged - petcock will leak, as petcock will not close when engine off. Small hole in petcock meant for draining out petrol that got "through" membrane. If it is leaking from there - you need new membrane. Those ususally available from Honda or aftermarket.
If it leaks from under petcock mount - that's different then, it means that ring seal under petcock flange needs replacement...
Old 03-29-2006, 08:15 AM
SuperSport

Loco
This may help:

[web:04bffd9096]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/Lanust/Tank.jpg[/web:04bffd9096]

There are 5 hoses that attach to your tank: 3 to the petcock and two overflow lines.

Petcock has the two main fuel lines and a small vacuum line. The other small hole at the bottom of the petcock, (I know what you are talking about) is not used.

I think Bluesman is referring to part #38, the rubber washer. Make sure that is in there, and that all your fuel lines are pushed in as far as they can go (there are little arrows printed on the petcock spigots.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:20 AM
Squid

macworld
Re: help with the gas tank

got the tank on there, and fixed the problem. had this bike out for the first ride of more than 5 min yesterday. man i love this bike. it is not near as fast as my 97 tls, but man it is more fun. thanks for your help