Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Head shake?

Old 04-02-2019, 04:54 AM
Squid

VTRsquid is on a distinguished road
Head shake?

Rolling from 60 kmh to a red light the other day, took both hands off the bars to stretch out a bit while the bike slows gently, and i look fown and the bars and front wheel are otally going at it flashdance style. Had to quickly grab the bars.
Are these bikes prone to this st all?
Havnt had bike very long and im pretty sure ive ridden it no hands a few times without a problem. Makes me wondef what it will do at 200.
Only recent changes were a new chain and sprockets which resulted in thed axle being almost at the full forward position.
Front tyre is old snd worn pretty bad, on one side more than the other, and just found out the head bearings are notchy and are being replaced as we speak. Do any of these things have an effect?
Old 04-02-2019, 06:00 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
"Front tyre is old snd worn pretty bad, on one side more than the other, and just found out the head bearings are notchy and are being replaced as we speak."

Head bearings *thumbs up* and best replace worn tyre/s as well to ensure handling is up to scratch. Check wheel bearings and while doing that check shock linkage bearings as they get forgotten about and can rust dangerously solid if not maintained.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:32 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
They can be. I regularly got some head shake but my VTR wasn’t in stock form. While cresting slight hills is where it became an issue for me, usually 70mph and up. I found a Scott’s and it became a non issue. If you’ve raised the rear or dropped the front you may have contributed. But as mentioned, those several maintenance items should be addressed first to eliminate the obvious.