Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Gets hot in traffic

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 08:12 PM
Squid

boxdogracing is on a distinguished road
Gets hot in traffic

I have had a 98 Superhawk for a little over two years, and from the first time I got stuck in traffic the temp gage just keeps creeping up. I have flushed and replaced coolant and added watter wetter, but on the way home from work Friday I had to stop and let it cool down again. Fan runs and blows hot air off rad. Moving its fine, just stopped in traffic can't keep temp down. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:14 PM
Back Marker

fuzzuki is on a distinguished road
Mount a second fan on the other rad.
You can even wire it to come on with the stock one or wire it with a switch, so you control when it comes on.
Or wire a switch to the stock one and turn it on before it gets too hot.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:35 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Might want to check the thermostat as overheating is a pretty uncommon problem with a SH.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:24 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
I've got the newer digital temp gauge. Fan comes on at 220f. Honda says 250f is too hot, shut off the engine. On a hot day in traffic 230f+ isn't unusual.

Does the needle more or less stabilize a bit after the fan comes on or does it just keep spiking?
Old 04-17-2010, 09:38 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
+1
I've seen 235 degrees in traffic in Hemet, heading out to Idyllwild in the summer.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:50 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
the stock fan setup is able to cool the bike adequately. Boiling point of water is 212, coolant is 240 +, and for every lb of pressure that you add with a radiator cap, you add 3 degrees to the B.P. I wouldnt worry about it.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:02 AM
Squid

boxdogracing is on a distinguished road
I have the older gage (no #s) the fan comes on just past the 1/2 mark, with the bike stopped the gage needle slows but keeps coming up, just past 3/4 mark before the red I shut it down. On my bike the only way to make the fan cycle off is to get moving. This does not seem normal to me. I have never let it get hot enough to boil the coolant, but I'am sure the temp will keep coming up until that happens.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:36 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by boxdogracing
I have the older gage (no #s) the fan comes on just past the 1/2 mark, with the bike stopped the gage needle slows but keeps coming up, just past 3/4 mark before the red I shut it down. On my bike the only way to make the fan cycle off is to get moving. This does not seem normal to me. I have never let it get hot enough to boil the coolant, but I'am sure the temp will keep coming up until that happens.
If you're that concerned, you need to get a digital gauge like RK has and then you'll know what is really happening. You need to make sure your coolant is circulating and that the theromstat is opening and a good temp guage may put our mind at ease. That said, spike up to 250, I wouldn't be concerned. Above that, preferably get your *** movin or turn it off as a last resort. Without knowing actual temps, and assuming functioning thermostat and impeller, your fear is likely unfounded.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:39 AM
SuperBike

If you dont want to put a large amount of money into a gauge, get a infrared temp gun and shoot some temps while it idles up in temp in the driveway. Check temps at the water pump, cylinders, tstat housing (both sides), and across both radiators. This will give you a really good idea as to flow direction and effectiveness.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:39 AM
Superstock

dshakes is on a distinguished road
Nature of the beast man. They dont like to sit still....
Old 04-18-2010, 07:55 AM
Back Marker

dickard37 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
+1
I've seen 235 degrees in traffic in Hemet, heading out to Idyllwild in the summer.
++1 I see that all the time. WAY too many stoplights in Hemet.... lol
Old 04-18-2010, 09:53 AM
RK1
MotoGP

If 220f is a little past half way and we assume 250f is full hot, then the three quarters you're seeing would be the low 230s.

I wouldn't worry about it or shut down unless the needle actually starts kissing full hot.

The fact that it drops as soon as you clear traffic makes me think your cooling system is working normally.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:03 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
I sat in a lot of traffic last summer and the temp gauge would be at the 3/4 mark and hover around there if sitting for a while. never had an issue
Old 04-18-2010, 11:22 AM
98' SH stock
Squid

Moehawk005 is on a distinguished road
hey box
thats normal mine does the same. member there sporttourin bikes. they love to b ridin not sittin
Old 04-19-2010, 04:57 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
The single fan is adequate to cool the bike, so there is no need to fit a second fan. You can however activate the fan earlier, which will maintain a more constant, and lower temp, when in traffic.

Simply add an extra earth from the fan motor with a switch in it. As soon as you hit traffic switch it on. The bike will stay cool, as the fan will run constantly until you switch it off again.

This does not effect the normal operation of the fan in any way, and it will still operate via the thermoswich as well.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:14 PM
SuperBike

You could always add some more radiator to your bike. Replace a majority of your rubber hoses with aluminum tubing.
http://image.classictrucks.com/f/167...upper_tube.jpg

That way you increase the heat transfer rate for a fairly large surface area.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:46 PM
Superstock

doomcookie is on a distinguished road
change to thinner oil?
Old 04-25-2010, 04:26 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by doomcookie
change to thinner oil?
i would think the opposite. Aircooled engines can and do run hotter and often use 20-50w oil, but it seems 5-50w would be optimal for high traffic conditions.

And if you're concerned about the excess heat, change oil more often or, with a little practice, you can tell alot about the state of your oil by feel, rubbing it between your fingers, smelling it and by visual inspection. I got good at it when i was running nothing but manual electric fans and temps up to 260+ degrees. i believe running generally hotter temps, 220-240 degrees, is better in terms of performance and fuel efficiency and possibly longevity based on years of experience with oil analysis. ,

I don't mess with manual electric fans/temps on the SH, but based on my experiences with heat, oils, and high temps, I simply don't worry about 240+.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:57 AM
Destructive Tester
Superstock

bjorn toulouse is on a distinguished road
I have had a 98 Superhawk for a little over two years, and from the first time I got stuck in traffic the temp gage just keeps creeping up. I have flushed and replaced coolant and added watter wetter, but on the way home from work Friday I had to stop and let it cool down again. Fan runs and blows hot air off rad. Moving its fine, just stopped in traffic can't keep temp down. Any ideas? Thanks.

If yer gauge doesn't venture into the red zone there is no issue.

Rex
Old 04-25-2010, 07:22 AM
Squid

Type T is on a distinguished road
the cooling effect increases with every degree because of the temperature difference between the ambient air temp and the radiator.. it's some kind of a geometric progession. Has anyone seen a SH boiling? I have never ridden mine in high temperatures but I guess it's not that easy

Last edited by Type T; 04-25-2010 at 07:24 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-25-2010, 08:34 AM
JPP
Superstock

JPP is on a distinguished road
Met a guy in my town with a bone stock superhawk except for one mod. A lower temp sensor for the fan. He said he didn't like the temps climbing so high and now the fan come on earlier. I've seen this "kit" on ebay. Pretty cheap.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:22 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
I have seen one too, but it was too low. You don't want the fan always coming on at 80c, which is what it was set to.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:13 AM
RK1
MotoGP

Late model vehicles are designed to run hotter than older ones. According to Honda, "hot" on a VTR is 250 degrees F. If your digital temp gauge reads less than 250F, you're fine. If you're analog gauge is south of "H", you're fine.

Stop obsessing about an imaginary problem and just enjoy riding the freakin' bike.

Last edited by RK1; 04-26-2010 at 07:38 AM.