Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Gauge Cluster dying.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 07:56 PM
Superstock

MarineHawk is on a distinguished road
Gauge Cluster dying.

So I decided that in my last few days in the US, I'd install a new set of turn signals (Watsen Design, outstanding quality btw) and tool around northern WA. What happened was that about an hour into the ride, my speedo/tach/digital display all died. As in, the first two the needle dropped to 0 and the digital display only showed the clock. Pulled over, opened the fuse box and found a blown fuse. No biggie, replaced it and took off again. About ... 10 minutes? Maybe even 5 minutes later, the same thing happened, and it was the same problem, blown fuse.

I've never had any sort of electrical problems before and I splice wire fairly often and know the fresh bit of splice isn't grounding. But considering the turn signals continue working, as well as the turn signal and hibeam displays, I wouldn't think it was that anyhow. The neutral light died out too though, with everything else. I know this is rather a gaggle!@#$ of information, but are there any ideas of what it might be before I spend a few hours with my wiring diagram?
Old 05-11-2007, 08:14 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
The 12V wire for the turn signals is fused though the Meter/Tail/Illum fuse. This is where the source of your problem lies.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:19 PM
Superstock

Alright, that's what I've been slowly pieceing together as I browse through everything, good to get the reassurance.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:50 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I have a pic of the wiring diagram in my Member's Pics on the forum. Download and save it. It's pretty big.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:52 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Looks like the black/brown wire from the fuse box provides power to a bunch of stuff, including the speed sensor.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:31 PM
Superstock

That diagram's a lifesaver, so much easier to read than just enlarging my pdf black/white diagram.