General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Swapping from '98 to '02 Gauge Cluster?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 12:46 PM
Superstock

Verne
Swapping from '98 to '02 Gauge Cluster?

Well today I had to replace some bulbs in my '98 gauge cluster. While I had it loose I went and got my '02 gauge cluster and double checked to see if it would bolt right up and it did.

My question is has anyone ever tried swaping to the newer cluster? I believe if I could get ahold of the plug off of a newer SH it could be wired in. The only thing would be having to possiably swap out the fuel level sending unit and maybe the temp sending unit.

So speak up.

Verne
Old 08-14-2006, 02:51 PM
Superstock

Verne
So am I right to guess that noone has tried this?

Well if I can find the plug for the '02 cluster off of a wrecked bike I will try this. I'm going to cross reference the part numbers for the sending units and see if they are interchangable or not.

I will keep you guys posted.

Verne
Old 08-14-2006, 04:21 PM
Squid

Ki`Ki is on a distinguished road
If you are referring to the whole head unit with taco, digital display, fuel indicator etc I do not think you can swap these over. A friend has a `98 and wanted to convert to the new style and from memory he said the conversion wouldnt fit or something.. cant remember the details (something to do with the digital comput maybe) but if i speak to him anytime soon i'll try and find out.

If you do get it working let us know so i can tell him that it can be done as he'd love to get the look of the newer ones.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:12 PM
SuperBike

EngineNoO9 is an unknown quantity at this point
do a search. it's been covered
Old 08-14-2006, 06:42 PM
Superstock

Verne
I searched with no luck. I will try again.

The cluster will bolt in just got to figure out the wiring. I really have no need to swap but since I have the parts here I figured why not plus I will get my clock back. I have cross referenced the part numbers for the sensors on ron ayers and they are the same but I am going to check with the dealer to be sure.

Later,

Verne
Old 08-14-2006, 06:50 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Yeah, the connectors are different according to the parts fiche. I misread you original post and thought you said it did connect. I guess you mean it only bolted up to the bracket. I didn't pursued it further when I realized I'd need a new wiring harness but it would be wise to check to see if the sending units are different too (analog vs. digital).
Old 08-15-2006, 07:31 AM
SuperSport

Stumpy is on a distinguished road
I think it can be done. Just need a wiring digram of both. If you do not want to update yours want to sell you newer gage set to me. I will leave a post with pics if I get it.

Thanks