Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Gas tank swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 10:22 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Gas tank swap

This is just as info for anyone who may have or may some day encounter this, and still wants the complete benefits of the gas gauge on the dash.

I installed a '98 VTR gas tank on a '05 VTR. On pre 2000 FS/SH, the gas tank gauge was a simple sensor inside, when the sensor stopped detecting fuel, the light in the dash lit. Simple enough.

2001 +, the dash changed for a graduated gas gauge, obviously changing the sensor inside the gas tank. If you simply swap the '01 + sensor, and install it inside the pre 2000 gas tank, it will be blocked by the internals of the gas tank itself. Which means you will only have a half tank full showing on the gauge, even if the tank is full. An easy fix to this problem, a quick bend of the float arm inside the tank, and this will free it up to move up and down, alowing a correct read of the fuel inside the tank

I know Iknow, no one changes tanks for nothing, or may never do something like this, but when you have a heavily damaged tank, and want to replace it, and the only good tank you can find at reasonable price is older, then you do what you have to do.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:16 AM
Squid

outrigger is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Jack Flash
This is just as info for anyone who may have or may some day encounter this, and still wants the complete benefits of the gas gauge on the dash.

I installed a '98 VTR gas tank on a '05 VTR. On pre 2000 FS/SH, the gas tank gauge was a simple sensor inside, when the sensor stopped detecting fuel, the light in the dash lit. Simple enough.

2001 +, the dash changed for a graduated gas gauge, obviously changing the sensor inside the gas tank. If you simply swap the '01 + sensor, and install it inside the pre 2000 gas tank, it will be blocked by the internals of the gas tank itself. Which means you will only have a half tank full showing on the gauge, even if the tank is full. An easy fix to this problem, a quick bend of the float arm inside the tank, and this will free it up to move up and down, alowing a correct read of the fuel inside the tank

I know Iknow, no one changes tanks for nothing, or may never do something like this, but when you have a heavily damaged tank, and want to replace it, and the only good tank you can find at reasonable price is older, then you do what you have to do.
Just confirming, but if I wanted to go the other way, i.e. new tank on old 'storm, is the lower profile significantly different? Will changing the airbox lid to the newer one fix this? This is my first post (hi) and I'm sure I've read something about this not being uber-straightforward but can't find it now...
Old 08-04-2012, 08:12 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Originally Posted by outrigger
Just confirming, but if I wanted to go the other way, i.e. new tank on old 'storm, is the lower profile significantly different? Will changing the airbox lid to the newer one fix this? This is my first post (hi) and I'm sure I've read something about this not being uber-straightforward but can't find it now...

If your are simply replacing the tank, it will fit without any problems. The only changes made to the tank were on the inside. The vents and supports are not axactly the same from 98-00 to 01-05.

If you are going to install fuel gauge of your 98 into the new tank, which
means one the was designed for the 01 + years, you should not run into
the problem I ran into. It will be a straight forward fix, without any mods on your part.

Happy trails
Old 08-04-2012, 08:37 AM
SuperSport

twist is on a distinguished road
what I want to know is where can I get a LARGER tank? Range is extremely limited with stock tank!
Old 08-04-2012, 08:49 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Have a search for 19L late model Firestorm tank, but they are very rare. Alternatively VFR tank or a custom made jobbie. The subject has been covered numerous times.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:51 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Originally Posted by twist
what I want to know is where can I get a LARGER tank? Range is extremely limited with stock tank!

I did find one once on a site somewhere in the UK I believe. It's 19L
instead of the limited 15.5-16L stock tank. It was however, very pricy

Let me do some searching, and I'll try to find thid for you.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:00 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Here we go FuelCel, Home of the Worlds best Composite Motorcycle Fuel Tanks ! This is the site. One other thing, I know also, early 2000 + VTR's in Europe came with a larger gas tank, that was not
offered here in North America. If your in that neck of the woods, it will be much easier for you to find an original one.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:34 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
Dear Outrigger,
As I understand it, the fuel tap for the 19 l. tank is mounted to the frame. The fuel tap for a 16 l. tank is bolted to the tank. You may need new fuel lines to the carbs too. It's best to check European/Australian/NZ parts fiches to determine what other parts have to be changed.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:21 PM
erno
Back Marker

erno is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by twist

How about a 26 ltr would that suffice
One of our members was selling one last year,was a custom job
Was snapped up pretty quick

http://ozfirestorm.proboards.com/ind...y&thread=13416
Old 08-04-2012, 06:24 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
BTW, if you just reach in and bend the float arm of the fuel sensor you are seriously torquing a pretty delicate arm connection point. You can remove it to bend it to avoid damage or bend some of the tank internals
Old 08-04-2012, 06:41 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by erno
How about a 26 ltr would that suffice
One of our members was selling one last year,was a custom job
Was snapped up pretty quick

OZFireStorm - 26L Custom Built VTR Tank
Impressive mate, that would take you beyond 200 miles or 320 Km
Old 08-04-2012, 07:04 PM
erno
Back Marker

erno is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by NHSH
Impressive mate, that would take you beyond 200 miles or 320 Km

And would be scraping more than just the pegs when in the twisties
Old 08-05-2012, 06:24 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
BTW, if you just reach in and bend the float arm of the fuel sensor you are seriously torquing a pretty delicate arm connection point. You can remove it to bend it to avoid damage or bend some of the tank internals

Your right. My explanation needed a little clarification. You absolutely
need to take the sensor out of the tank in order to proceed with this delicate op. Pipe rench is definately out of the question