Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Front Fork Questions??

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 06:10 PM
Squid

peteyb88 is on a distinguished road
Front Fork Questions??

I owned a 98 Hawk and sold it to my friend last summer and a week later he crashed it. I love this motorycycle and want it back. It needs a good amount of work but Im buyin it back for a very good price. It needs a new front end for sure..the forks are tweeked. I always wanted to do a swap on it but didnt really have the cash or time. I am really in no rush but was wondering as i see all you other guys do swaps theres a lot of mix matched parts. Is there any front end out there that will completely bolt up with almost no mods. and im probably not gonna run the fairings on it so that should make things easier but i was wonderin would a 954 fork upper and lower triple axle spacers bearings clip ons master cyclinder u know everything almost all bolt on..or does the project really gonna take a bunch of different parts and alot of time and experience..any help or sugestions would be fantastic THANK YOU!!!!!
Old 05-26-2009, 06:42 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Start here... https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=13401 Lists of completed and working re-builds...

That, or click the image in my signature...
Old 06-08-2009, 07:17 AM
Back Marker

Kelevra is on a distinguished road
Good read, but some of the modding sounds extensive.

Did anyone get a fork set-up that just dropped in without modding the radiators? I'm not concerned about steering stops as those can be cut off with a dremil.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:20 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
1996-97 CBR900RR is a direct fit: http://www.vtwo.demon.co.uk/firestorm/firestorm.htm

Click on Fireblade Fork Upgrade.... Not USD but for most mortals they`ll do just fine. I love mine

Last edited by mikstr; 06-08-2009 at 07:23 AM.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:53 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Kelevra
Good read, but some of the modding sounds extensive.

Did anyone get a fork set-up that just dropped in without modding the radiators? I'm not concerned about steering stops as those can be cut off with a dremil.
I did the 954 swap without moving the radiators.. Yes my top radiator hose gets pinched a bit when I turn all the way to the steering stops (that I did grind a bit to give full turn) but how often do you turn the bars that far? Only in a parking lot at low speed. I really don't see it being a problem.

You can read my whole adventure here: https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=17505

Where I started thinking that I'd use GSXR parts, and ended with 954 parts.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:24 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I moved the rads but I'm an MSF instructor and absolutely need the extra few degrees of lock.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:13 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
If you decide doing a swap is too much hassle, I will have a complete front end from the clip-ons to the front fender, including a fork brace, for sale in a month or so as I'm right in the middle of a swap myself.
The forks I have are resprung and revalved by Lindemann http://www.le-suspension.com/ and I will also have the rebuilt stock shock(which is matched to the front end) up for sale also along with a set of wheels...... So if you're part of the "Big Guy" club and weigh in at over 200lbs this might be anothe option for you.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:59 AM
Back Marker

Kelevra is on a distinguished road
I appreciate the advice fellas!
I'd like to do an upside down conversion for sure. I may be coming into a set of used Ohlins, but they are for a ducati, not sure what I'd have to change up, prolly the bottoms? Then acquire triples and figure out the wheel configs, brakes etc. Other then the forks, I'd like to use Honda components, but whatever is clever!
Old 06-12-2009, 06:08 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
The "easiest" USD swaps by far are a complete CBR (929/954) or RC51 (SP1)... with minor tweaks to stops, and finding a set of clipons that get the bars where you like, they are as close to bolt on as you'll find.

Any other forks can probably be used, but will require all sorts of measuring and spacers at a minimum.... as there are a few GSXR swaps out there, and you can probably make the Ducati stuff work if you can figure out the triples and front calipers/wheel/rotors relationship.

Honestly... you could probably buy a full front CBR setup for the cost of a nice used set of Ohlins forks.

J.