Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Fork Brace vs Steering Stabilizer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 08:18 PM
Back Marker

DocPigskin17 is on a distinguished road
Question Fork Brace vs Steering Stabilizer?

So I was trying to decide between a fork brace from truck or a steering stabilizer as funds do not support both. Just wondering what everyone's opinion is if they had to only go with one over the other.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:22 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
In your riding: Are you experiencing tank slappers, or fork flexing?
Old 05-11-2009, 08:26 PM
Back Marker

what would the fork flexing feel like? It is more of a confidence issue with cornering I guess.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:46 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
The VTR is a very stable bike, so a steering damper is not needed.

The 41mm forks on the the other hand suffer from flex. A fork brace is a good addittion.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:19 AM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
On the other hand, the best investment for improving cornering confidence is to improve your skills. This could be done by doing a track day, or riding with and getting some instruction from those who have the skills you're looking for.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:07 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Fork flex is simply that you turn the bars and the front is turning more or less than your input because the gyroscopic force is acting against you, or that the fork "twists" while leaned over... Believe me, when you have felt it you will know... It's not funny...

A steering damper on a stock VTR is completely unnecessary... If you change the geometry for faster steering and do hard riding on a track it becomes useful... With a inexperienced rider on the street it can be outright dangerous...

My advice, if the rest of the bike is stock... Go with a brace, it helps stiffen the front and is an advantage in nearly any conceivable situation...
Old 05-12-2009, 05:23 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by shayne
The VTR is a very stable bike, so a steering damper is not needed.

The 41mm forks on the the other hand suffer from flex. A fork brace is a good addittion.
+1

For building confidence, go to a large empty parking lot. Free from car traffic.

Using cones, soda cans or whatever you can find, make two 90 degree corners. One to the left and one to the right. Then practice using different approach angles to help you round the corner. Start off slow and gradually increase your speed and lean angles. If you make a mistake(running wide or cutting in) you'll have plenty of run off room to correct yourself. Also ride in a big circle. With each pass make it smaller. Your lean angle will change. This will help you learn how to lean over. Make sure you don't get too dizzy. This will help you develop better cornering skills without running off the side of the road or endangering anyone else.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:03 AM
Back Marker

thanks for all the input. It isn't that I am an inexperienced rider, just looking to make the Hawk better. I had Greg do my forks last year so the suspension isn't stock anymore. Just never satisfied with the way it is I guess...bigger, better, faster...I'm sure most of you on this forum understand that
Old 05-12-2009, 06:58 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
having both... i'd go with the fork brace before the damper.

if you havn't setup the front forks, after the rebuild, then get to a suspension shop and pay the basic setup fee ( $40 around here ) and have them set the sag and the rebound.

tim
Old 05-12-2009, 07:08 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by chickenstrip
On the other hand, the best investment for improving cornering confidence is to improve your skills. This could be done by doing a track day, or riding with and getting some instruction from those who have the skills you're looking for.
+1 I did a lot of trackdays before i really felt the need to improve the front end money well spent IMO, plus it's a lot more fun to drag a knee than install a brace. But I do agree with the others if you want to do it go for the brace first.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:04 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by superhawk22
+1 I did a lot of trackdays before i really felt the need to improve the front end money well spent IMO, plus it's a lot more fun to drag a knee than install a brace. But I do agree with the others if you want to do it go for the brace first.
i hear this alot and although i agree that the track is a great place to learn it also shows how lacking the bike is ( in stock form ).

imo:

#1) replace the front fork springs
#2) EBC HH front brake pads

hit the track !

once you get used to the track you'll start to feel the limits of the bike

#3) revalve the forks
#4) upgrade the m/c & cailiper & pads & brake lines
#5) fork brace
#6) rear shock
#7) steering damper

tim
Old 05-12-2009, 09:10 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Agreed but you can have some good fun before you HAVE to get into mods, BTW my list went braided lines, rear sets, then suspension but everyone will have thier own opinons on that oh and the list is to long to go into right now.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:53 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by trinc
i hear this alot and although i agree that the track is a great place to learn it also shows how lacking the bike is ( in stock form ).

imo:

hit the track !

#3) revalve the forks
#5) fork brace
#6) rear shock
#7) steering damper

tim
I would put the fork brace in the #2 spot. It, along with fork springs, will improve your feel and confidence in the bike more anything else you can do.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:42 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by trinc

imo:

hit the track !

#3) revalve the forks
#5) fork brace
#6) rear shock
#7) steering damper

tim
So I have already done #1-4. So I guess the fork brace would be next. Thanks for all the input. It is really appreciated. I haven't set up the sag and rebound after getting the forks back so I am going to have that done and get some riding in and then decide on the fork brace. So I guess that means the Hawk is going to get some cosmetic help instead in the form of a rear hugger or pyramid belly pan.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:19 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Seriously? I reworked your forks over a year ago! You haven't set sag and rebound yet? Get busy, Doc! Once the forks are working for you then you'll find the bike is stable and neither of the above are necessary. Save up for the aftermarket rear shock or use the Visa card now and be done with it.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:57 AM
Back Marker

Ya, I know. I have only put on on 175 miles since I got the forks back. Was actually going to sell the Hawk due to lack of use. Besides, I swear I am in the land of Deliverance here. There are no tracks, no suspension shops, hell, even no bike shops other than the Honda car dealership that has a 50 square foot area set up to sell motorcylces at their dealership. I called there yesterday to see if how much they charge for a suspension set-up and they told me the sag and rebound can't be adjusted on the Superhawk!!!....I hung up!