Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Electrical Woes...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 04:21 PM
Rooster Wolf
Back Marker

VFR79 is on a distinguished road
Electrical Woes...

I've read a bunch of threads on the Superhawks electrical problems, but thought I would post my own to see if it's any different than what I've been reading.

I'm riding a 98 Superhawk that I picked up last week, bike has 14000 miles. The only riding I've been able to do so far is commuting, and that's roughly 10 miles each way. Everynight I get home from work, I connect the battery tender, just like I did with the VFR. (I still have the VFR, and I use the same battery tender on it with zero problems). I noticed after the first night of the bike sitting on the tender, it was still in charge status. It shouldn't still be in charge status afer 12 hours. The battery is brand new, and after testing it at work, I found out the battery is good.

Today I go out for a ride and after 40 miles I come to a stoplight and notice the tripmeter is blinking; sometimes fast, sometimes slow. Then my tach drops to zero. I pull off the road and check fuses, they're fine. I put my hand on the R/R, it is room temperature. Put my gear back on, now the bike won't start! After jump starting the bike from a car (it was not running), I start to head back home. Bike seems to be normal again, then the tach, speedo, and and the whole instrument cluster go out on me. No lights, nothing. Go about 5 miles and I had to slow down for a stop sign w/3 cars ahead of me. Bike dies out again, but I was just slowing down. Got her jumped again, and made a bee line for the nearest interstate. As I'm exiting the interstate to go to my house the pipes start popping and the bike died again at the entrance to my neighborhood.

So....

Get home, remove the plastics. After looking it over, I see no sign of fried connectors, and all the fuses are fine. The only thing I noticed was that the R/R (original BTW) seems to have a small hole in it. I tap it on my hand and a bunch of black "dust" comes out.

It's my understanding that the R/R is to keep the battery voltage from going to high, and the stator is to keep it at a minimum. Being that the battery was drained, I would think that the stator would be the problem. I have no way of testing this stuff, but I will be going to a reputable tech this week.

Any thoughts from anyone who has gone through this?
Old 05-12-2008, 04:44 PM
Moderatio est Figmentum
Superstock

Hawk9807 is on a distinguished road
My vote goes to the R/R!
Old 05-12-2008, 04:47 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
The stator is what generates the power, the R/R regulates it, sending the right amount to the battery when called for. It could be either one of those that is causing the issue. From you description I would have to say R/R though.

Why are you sticking it on a battery tender every night? I've never owned one or used one, and have had no problems at all. I had to replace the battery in the hawk after leaving it sit for over a year, but that was the only problem ever.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:49 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Download the shop manual (check threads) or buy one on fleabay. Checking the alternator (stator & armature) is easy, as is the VR/R with a good digi multimeter. If what you said is true about the hole and dust, then your VR/R is probably toast internally. Either get a new Honda or AM unit, or adapt one from another make (again, plenty of threads). I'm currently behind in my research to develop "crimp-on roadside adapter kit. Check the connector again for signs of burning, and be thankful more damage was not done.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:10 PM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
Check this site...

http://www.electrosport.com/technica...sis-center.php

It will tell you how to test the R/R.... your symptoms sound like classic R/R issues.

J.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:39 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by SlowHAWK
Check this site...

http://www.electrosport.com/technica...sis-center.php

It will tell you how to test the R/R.... your symptoms sound like classic R/R issues.

J.
there have been issues with their units but as I said, definately sounds R/R...
Old 05-12-2008, 06:41 PM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by skokievtr
there have been issues with their units but as I said, definately sounds R/R...
I wasn't suggesting buying from there.... was just suggesting to use the testing manual on their site to see if the R/R is toast.

J.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:42 PM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
it absolutely sounds like the r/r. i just had mine die on me a little while ago. in the manual for our bike, it gives you tests to do and it tells you whats wrong if certain tests come up with certain results. they're all easy tests you cant do with a multimeter. i very strongly suggest buying a yamaha r1 r/r and putting that on your bike. its a very easy swap, even if you dont buy a new rear wiring loom to get the yamaha plug. all you have to do is cut off the old honda plug (keeping as much length on the wire as you can, even though there's plenty there), and strip the wires enough to fit some quick disconnects on there. make sure you crimp the quick disconnects good, there is no need to solder them. wrap electrical tape around the quick disconnect from the wires all the way to the very end of the connector. if there is any exposed metal on the connectors it could cause an arc. plug the three yellow wires into the three connectors on top (it doesnt matter the order of them), the green wire on the bottom left, and red wire on the bottom right. after this, wrap the whole thing in electrical tape like a madman and your good to go. just make sure you get pliers and make sure the connectors are in there good and tight. you'll only be able to mount it with the top screw also, seeing as how the yamaha r/r is much bigger, but it still mounts just fine. just use the bigger of the two screws that came out of the old r/r. good luck.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:43 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by SlowHAWK
I wasn't suggesting buying from there.... was just suggesting to use the testing manual on their site to see if the R/R is toast.

J.
my bad
Old 05-12-2008, 06:58 PM
Reb
Squid

Reb is on a distinguished road
Wink

Definately an R/R problem. Same thing happened to a mate. All started with a low battery that he had to jump start all the time. As you ride along the power slowly drains and the popping through the pipes is your fuel pump shutting down and the motor starving for fuel. The rectifier is overcharging the battery. The battery may even be swollen and bulging out. If you keep riding the bike like this you will cook all your electicals. Very expensive. New R/R; new battery; problem solved. Good luck.

Cheers
Reb
Old 05-12-2008, 07:22 PM
Rooster Wolf
Back Marker

Originally Posted by drew_c14
Why are you sticking it on a battery tender every night? I've never owned one or used one, and have had no problems at all. I had to replace the battery in the hawk after leaving it sit for over a year, but that was the only problem ever.
Just a habit I got into. I know it may be overkill to use it daily, but it definitely won't hurt a battery to do so. Part of it might be due to the fact that I work in a dealership and I see people all the time with dead batteries.

*whispers* "I see dead batteries"

Originally Posted by Reb
Definately an R/R problem. Same thing happened to a mate. All started with a low battery that he had to jump start all the time. As you ride along the power slowly drains and the popping through the pipes is your fuel pump shutting down and the motor starving for fuel. The rectifier is overcharging the battery. The battery may even be swollen and bulging out. If you keep riding the bike like this you will cook all your electicals. Very expensive. New R/R; new battery; problem solved. Good luck.

Cheers
Reb
Well, R/R seems to be the general concensus. I'll probably call the Yamaha dealer up the road and order a new one tommorow. As far as the battery, it's brand new and thankfully shows no signs of bulging/excessive heat/sulfur smell.

Looks like I'll have to dust the cobwebs off the cage and take that to work this week.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:40 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Reb

Cheers
Reb
fuel pump??? hehe
Old 05-13-2008, 08:31 PM
Rooster Wolf
Back Marker

I was able to get hold of a spare R/R today. Hooked it up, had my tech friend run the diagnostics, and the bike is golden! Now to get the R1 r/r and wire it in.

Thanks guys for all the help!
Old 05-13-2008, 08:55 PM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
definitely, the r1 r/r is the way to go. if you need any more help or instructions on how to do it, let me know. if im just annoying you and sounding like an arrogant ***, let me know.