Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

directional woes

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 12:17 PM
Squid

willie
Question directional woes

Hey guys,
I have a uniqe problem with the directionals on my sh. It has clear lens front & rear directionals with amber bulbs. I had a rear bulb blow on me last week so I pulled the bulb and went to the local napa. The bulb has no markings on it except 12v23w, wich is fine but it doesn't give a number for cross referencing. The bulb looks exaclty like a 97NA bulb.
When I put a new bulb in, the directional(s) (left side front & rear) will work but they blink twice as fast as the right side of the bike. So I switched the bulbs to the other side & the same thing happens except it's now on the right side. I'm guessing the new bulb may have a differnt resistance in it? Any ideas of what the problem might be?

Thanks
Old 07-30-2006, 12:50 PM
SuperSport

CNI Dawg is an unknown quantity at this point
You may need an 1156 bulb not 97NA
An 1156 draws 26 watts and a 97NA only draws 8 watts (it's also a 13 volt bulb vs 12 volt)
The flasher relay works off resistance.
If the bulbs are not drawing enough power the relay senses this & flashes fast to let you know there is a bulb out.
In your case the bulb you replaced is not drawing enough power to let the relay know it's there & working.
Try an 1156 bulb & it should solve your problem
http://www.donsbulbs.com/cgi-bin/r/b.pl/97na.html
http://www.donsbulbs.com/cgi-bin/r/b.pl/1156.html
Old 07-30-2006, 07:00 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
The bulbs you have are from Lockhart/Phillips. I made a comprehensive search about 18 months ago and didn't find any on the internet. The L/P numbers are as follows: 122-9600,single filament; 122-9603, dual filament. let me know if you find another source.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:59 AM
Squid

willie
Originally Posted by CNI Dawg
You may need an 1156 bulb not 97NA
An 1156 draws 26 watts and a 97NA only draws 8 watts (it's also a 13 volt bulb vs 12 volt)
The flasher relay works off resistance.
If the bulbs are not drawing enough power the relay senses this & flashes fast to let you know there is a bulb out.
In your case the bulb you replaced is not drawing enough power to let the relay know it's there & working.
Try an 1156 bulb & it should solve your problem
http://www.donsbulbs.com/cgi-bin/r/b.pl/97na.html
http://www.donsbulbs.com/cgi-bin/r/b.pl/1156.html

Originally Posted by thetophatflash
The bulbs you have are from Lockhart/Phillips. I made a comprehensive search about 18 months ago and didn't find any on the internet. The L/P numbers are as follows: 122-9600,single filament; 122-9603, dual filament. let me know if you find another source.

thanks guys,

an 1156 bulb is the same size as an 1157 coorect? if so it is way to big for my application. Although I still need to look at your links.

I did look in my lockhart catalog last night & found the part number........

thanks again guys,

willie
Old 07-31-2006, 04:56 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Do yourself a favor....ditch the LP signals. The bulbs they use suck donkey ***** and you may as well just go ahead and order them in dozens. They will burn out about 1 every month until you get sick of them. They ain't worth the trouble. Get some LED signals and some 20 watt resistors and wire them in parallel with the signals.

I just recently ditched my LP type IV (small cheap arrow looking ones with the dual filiament bulb - thought it would be cool to have running lights in the rear until BOTH of them burned out from the vibration) and bought some Hyperlites. I got the ones that have the flashing brake light, red running light, and turn signals all in one. I had a VFX flash equalizer laying around the garage and 2 hours later and it's a nice clean install. These little puppies are BRIGHT too! I will NOT get run over from the rear with these on. I'll post pics if anyone's interested.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:12 AM
Squid

willie
Hey Greg,
if you don't mind could you post a pic?

Thanks
Old 08-01-2006, 09:45 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Yeah, but it'll have to be tonight late. I'm working swings right now.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:09 AM
Administrator
World Champion

As promised to another lister...pics of the Hyperlites. First is running lights. These flash on-off when the brake is applied. Second pic is with the left signal on.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:26 PM
Squid

Chilly996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
As promised to another lister...pics of the Hyperlites. First is running lights. These flash on-off when the brake is applied. Second pic is with the left signal on.
What do they look like in the daytime? I mean their appearance in general. It's so dark.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:26 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Bringing this one back from the dead because I never saw Chilly's question. Happened upon this thread because I was doing some research.

Anyway, check out this link. These are the ones I have.

http://www.hyperlites.com/3Way.html