Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Electrical problems, no tach

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 10:27 AM
Squid

nevinreilly is on a distinguished road
Electrical problems, no tach

Another Superhawk with electrical problems. I experienced the usual fast blinkers followed by loss of lights and gauges then a dead battery twice and put in a new R/R after determining it was the likely suspect (no-name unfinned replacement). Had the same problem with the new R/R on my next ride, recharged the battery and after messing around with different R/Rs during my roadside repair put the stock one back on. Another 50 miles and my battery boiled.

Since then I put in a new battery and have tried a replacement finned R/R. Bike starts and runs fine, but I have no tach and one blinker is out. All other guages and lights work. Fuses all check out. Connections all look fine and I put dialectric grease on all of them. I haven't ridden the bike other than a few hundred feet to make sure I had a speedo but everything seemed fine. The R/R plug is a little discolored but is far from charred.

Anyone else had similar problems? I'm worried that my problem is somewhere in the wiring harness where the bad R/R possibly overheated some wiring. The other two possibilities I can think of are the ECU and the igniter in the tail (which have good connections and look fine from the outside).

Anyone had similar experiences? Could the tach problem be separate?

Bike is a 1998 with ~35k and only used for 50+ mile rides.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:02 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Check all fuses. Bulb on signal is probably burned out. The last R/R went in a bad way. Hopefully the tach is not fried.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:10 PM
Squid

sipaison is on a distinguished road
had the same problem with speedo believed to be a bad speedo
Old 06-09-2008, 06:12 PM
Squid

sipaison is on a distinguished road
have not changed it yet though...get a wiring schematic and test power and signal to tach.....if you have those its just the tach....if not you must check wiring and where signal is coming from
Old 06-10-2008, 05:08 AM
Squid

nevinreilly is on a distinguished road
Thanks - I did trace a number of wires and have resolved all of my issues except the tach. It does have power going to it so the guage itself is bad. I ordered a replacement from servicehonda.com; just waiting for it to arrive.

Nevin