Knowledge Base Feedback, Questions on Knowledge Base articles.

Calling all electrical guru's... tach resistors

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 11:10 AM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
Calling all electrical guru's... tach resistors

Need a little help guys..

About a year ago I fried my R/R wasnt the first time but the end result was I fried a couple resistors on the back of my tach. I have no problem soldering on motherboards but my problem is I cant tell what resistors had what resistance (fried the color ribbons).

Anyways If anyone has knowledge or pictures of the resistors so I can replace them that would be greatly apreciated, thanks everyone.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:22 AM
SuperBike

Oh yea I should add that it is the 98 tach
Old 06-04-2011, 06:05 AM
Jack of all Master of non
Superstock

3amta3 is on a distinguished road
i would not use the stock R/R it is junk and is better as a paper weight..... you could find a good R1 5 pin R/R and mod it into yours.
i have done some reserch on this issue and have found a great mod to get rid of the POS honda rectifier. go with this:
Firestorm / SuperHawk (VTR1000F) Regulator Rectifier Modification
Old 06-04-2011, 06:15 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by scottiemann
Oh yea I should add that it is the 98 tach
If you tell me which one's you need to replace, I'll gladly open up the one I have and measure/photograph the specified component...

But I'm not going to list all the components for you, I'm far too lazy for that...
Old 06-04-2011, 08:17 AM
SuperBike

Thanks tweety.. Im stopping at the parts store this afternoon so I can do vacuum lines, vent lines, pair removal and maybe adjust my tps tonight so Ill take out my tach and take a picture of the resistors for you to see which ones are burnt..

At the time I fried my R/R I was out of state on the highway going on vacation so I had the bike towed to a local shop and I believe they replaced it with factory...

trust me I am well aware the factory one sucks (its my 4th in 5 years) but its working fine for now and isnt top on my priority list...its a long *** list
Old 06-04-2011, 08:22 AM
SuperBike

by the way completely off topic but i need to synch my carbs bad... is there any other type of fitting I can use other then the honda part for the front cylinder... I work at a parts store so it would be much easier make one then order it if i knew what type of thread and flare was on there
Old 06-04-2011, 08:32 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
I'm not entirely sure if you're aware of this from the question you asked, but you can order the booster joint that is in the rear cylinder, and install it in the front one. When you're not syncing the carbs, just plug it. Part number 16214-MB0-000

Old 06-04-2011, 08:54 AM
SuperBike

Thank you for the part number 7moore7.. I might end up ordering it but from some of the pictures ive seen (I havent taken the rear one out and havent had a good look at it) it almost looks like you could use a flared metal tube with a fitting depending on what thread it is and whats at the back of the hole..

Im just trying to save some time since im going to a parts store and I could synch the carbs this afternoon rather then wait for the part to come in since im gonna be under the tank anyways.

either way it would cost about the same it was just a question of waiting a couple days or not...

and pardon my stupidity if its blatantly obvious that I cant use a flared tube with a fitting...
Old 06-04-2011, 09:57 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by scottiemann
trust me I am well aware the factory one sucks (its my 4th in 5 years) but its working fine for now and isnt top on my priority list...its a long *** list
Yet you still haven't realized that you are fixing a symptom and not the real problem.......

Maybe you should check and clean all the ground points and the harness connectors unless you happen to own stock in a R\R company......
Old 06-04-2011, 11:14 AM
SuperBike

Hawk maybe I should own stock in an R/R company ...

but then again I should have been more specific with the 4 in 5 years; the first one that came with the bike was due to a starter going bad (I believe), the second was a really cheap used honda one of cheapobay cuz I couldnt afford anything else, the third was an aftermarket one that was on the cheap side that had heatsink fins on it(I thought that would help but it was still made cheaply, and the one I have now which is brand new factory from the incident out of state on the highway...

nothing seems to be wrong with the new one and ive been using it for over a year so a better retrofit is on the back burner til I complete the top priorities on my list

And dont worry hawk im always for preventative maintenance
Old 06-05-2011, 09:22 AM
Parts Adapter
Squid

VF1100S is on a distinguished road
I'm just visiting here, but ran into a similar problem on my '81 GS1000. I found members on the GS forum that recommended the Compu-Fire R/R. It is very heavy duty, and pricey (like $175), but it's a solid piece with a good rep. The part # I used was the 55402 (Amazon link), and I have some pics from the install here. The following post has more info on the job.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:13 AM
SuperBike

Sorry tweety i was going to take my cluster out this past saturday so I could take pics of the motherboard but something came up. I will be able to tonight and I appreciate your help.

As for the rest of you I appreciate the info on the R/R but as Ive had my SH for about 5 years and been on the forum for almost that amount of time too I am well aware of the issues with the factory R/R. and the many options available to remedy it.

My problem right now is 2 resistors that were fried on the back of the tachometer motherboard. personally i dont necessarily need a tach but I am doing some work to the bike and a carb synch is much needed and I would like to be able to do it accurately at the right RPMs.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:58 AM
SuperBike

ok for some reason my camera is a piece of **** and cant take good pictures of small things. luckily for me the tach motherboard has everything labelled and all I need to know is the resistence or resistor R1.

thank you anyone that can help me out and hopefully replacing this will bring me back my tach before i have to spend over $100 on a replacement.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:25 AM
SuperBike

so does anyone have have the old guage cluster they can take a part or did I offend too many people?