Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Electrical issues...(long)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 05:30 PM
Banned
Back Marker

99Hawkboy
Cool Electrical issues...(long)

Alrighty fellas! Havent been online in a while but i decided to work on the hawk all day today because its been running like *** so I parked it for a while till I could work on her all day.

Well I pulled the carbs, checked everything over, and took it for a ride and i barely made it home... Was missfiring popping like crazy lol..

So pulled carbs, changed out the clips on the needles to 3rd, and installed it all. Before finishing up I went to crank it over because i was conserned about the APEs being too tight. Well it wouldnt crank after a few tries... Battery dead. I charged the battery for an hour at about 6amps and started right up!! No stumbles nothing... Drove the bike and ran fantastic!!! Never pulled like this before... or that i can remember anyways lol...

So my question is would simply charging the battery change the performance of the bike because i sure as hell know it wasnt changing one clip on the needles :-0 How much battery voltage is required to fire the ignition coil?

Thanks guys!!
Old 01-13-2007, 08:30 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 99Hawkboy
So my question is would simply charging the battery change the performance of the bike because i sure as hell know it wasnt changing one clip on the needles :-0 How much battery voltage is required to fire the ignition coil?
Motor needs spark right? The battery completes the entire circuit. I would check to see what kind of voltage at the battery you are getting at 5k rpm.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:39 AM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Yeah, maybe you are short on power, and the fresh battery sorted it. That would indicate a possible charging problem.

Check your charging rate, and if it is no good, look suspiciously at your regulator/rectifier.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:55 AM
SuperSport

AZZKIKER is an unknown quantity at this point
put a voltmeter on it and check it at 5k rpms.you should get 14.1v I believe?
Old 01-14-2007, 03:52 PM
Banned
Back Marker

99Hawkboy
Well I checked the charging rate and it was within specifications. I also left the charger on it all day and it never got up to full charge on the battery. Thinking the battery is going... Where can i get a replacement other than at honda?
Old 01-14-2007, 04:03 PM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
do an ebay search for 'YTX12-BS' or 'YTS12'. several people have them listed. cost you around $32-$35 shipped with an acid pack. you want to be sure you're getting an AGM (advanced gas mat) battery, they are sealed and spill-proof.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:20 PM
Señor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 99Hawkboy
Well I checked the charging rate and it was within specifications. I also left the charger on it all day and it never got up to full charge on the battery. Thinking the battery is going... Where can i get a replacement other than at honda?
I would be sure to do that testing right after a ride, or at least at operating temperature. R/R's often don't show symptoms when not hot.

Also, I would think the battery, if going bad, would be unlikely to affect electrical systems on the bike, if the motor were running and everything else were working properly.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:11 AM
Back Marker

vtrgeoff
Battery failure is often symptomatic of the Reg/Rec failing.

Geoff in Almonte
99VTR
Old 01-15-2007, 07:05 AM
Banned
Back Marker

99Hawkboy
Well its the original battery and i just moved down here from colorado so every winter i would store the bike and i know for a fact the previous owner did the same so im sure that the plates have become sulfated to an extent to prevent full charging. Which is what i am seeing with the charging test. I dont know if I have a bad R/R but do plan on testing that as well. But i do know that the battery is probably on its last leg.

Thanks for the information on getting a new battery.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:12 AM
Superstock

Speed_Demon is an unknown quantity at this point
It doesn't take much voltage to make the bike run well. Most will run well fresh off a jump start. More likely you had a vacuum leak in one or both of the carb/manifold sealing points and when you reinstalled the carbs correctly you corrected the lean condition.