Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

More interesting electrical/regulator issues.... Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 01:48 PM
Squid

Flying Dutchman is on a distinguished road
More interesting electrical/regulator issues.... Help!

All right, I have read plenty of posts here that have helped me out already (thanks!) though I need some more insight in my Hawks' problems (2000 model). Here goes...

Three weeks ago, my indicators and brake lights went out. Found the problem, sorted some wires, changed the fuse (blown) and moved on.

Then 2 weeks ago, during a trip, the dashboard stopped working. When I applied the brakes, the dash started working again.. So I figured I lost ground.. Checked all the wiring, couldn't figure it out. Last thing I did was to check the fusebox and I found a blown fuse. Changed it and everything worked fine again...

Then one week ago, after a long trip I stopped for fuel. After topping of the tank.... nothing.. battery dead, flat as a pancake. Fortunately the gas station was on top of a hill so I could push start it (in 6th gear!). At home I recharged the battery and everything is fine again.

After checking this forum I did the following things:
  • Checked the R/R: 2 of the connectors were badly burned
  • One of the big white connecters with 3 yellow wires near the battery: wires are badly burned on one side
  • Checked battery voltage at idle: 12.6 V
  • Checked leakage: 0.53 mA. If I pull out the fuse in the cooling fan circuit there is no leakage anymore
  • Checked battery voltage at 5.000 RPM: 12.7 V
So, my questions are:
  • Apparantly I have a short in the cooling fan circuit. What is the best way to determine what/where
  • Can I ride without the cooling fan fuse (I live in South Alabama...)
  • My R/R: is it shot? Most forums state that if the R/R is shot, the voltage at 5.000 RPM is through the roof. Is my voltage to low?
  • If I buy a new R/R: what about the burned connector? I do not have enough wire left to re-wire a new connector. What to do?
And finally: can this all be traced back to a bad R/R?

Thanks so much guys, I love my Hawk and this forum is awesome

The Flying Dutchman
Old 03-29-2008, 02:31 PM
Back Marker

doggerman is on a distinguished road
as bad as this
Attached Thumbnails More interesting electrical/regulator issues.... Help!-rnr-conector.jpg   More interesting electrical/regulator issues.... Help!-stator-connection-tank.jpg  
Old 03-29-2008, 02:48 PM
Squid

Flying Dutchman is on a distinguished road
No, not that bad! That is scary! The R/R connector looks more like this (this is another site though the connector looks just like this):
http://www.vlc.com.au/~justin/about/.../dead_reg.html
The 3 point connector is also burned, but not as bad as yours!

I think I will replace the R/R regardless, not sure what to do about the connector. Any thoughts?
Old 03-29-2008, 03:30 PM
Back Marker

doggerman is on a distinguished road
Im sure you need a new R/R, get on that right away cause it takes time to order it.Electrosport dosn't have any at the moment.Take care of that R/R plug, its irreplaceble.I had a failure a year or so ago that lightly toasted my R/R plug like in your picture obviosley it got hot.I suspect melted wire insulation+ corrosion+ vibration=my above trophy pics.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:15 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
That really sucks, you burn up those Honda factory connectors you can get in some deep **** quick. Yeah, I think your R/R is toast.

Like some of the other guys have done - follow the wiring of the old unit and solder the wires together yourself. Lil bit of shrink wrap you're good as new.

There's lots of reading on this in the archives. IIRC there's an R-1 R/R that is almost plug n play.

Last edited by nuhawk; 03-29-2008 at 07:20 PM.