Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

long,long,long trip ahead

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 03:42 AM
Back Marker

havoc7685 is on a distinguished road
long,long,long trip ahead

To start I'm gonna apologize if this is the wrong thread for this question as its more trip prep an maintenance related. But this seems to be the thread were the more seasoned riders an gearhead type check most often. Question time lol. I'm getting ready to ride 2,200 miles in 2 an a half days on my vtr (insert frown here) so out side of oil chain check tires brakes clutch lights etc.... Is there anything I shld prep the bike for or expect long distance problems from it. outside the obvious total discomfort an numbness. An again I'm sorry if this isn't the right place for this question I've just kinda come to trust your judgment an advice an wasn't sure you'd guys see this in the other threads plus its 'maintenance' right lol.
Thanx guys
Old 09-05-2010, 06:09 AM
Back Marker

slabm7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by havoc7685
To start I'm gonna apologize if this is the wrong thread for this question as its more trip prep an maintenance related. But this seems to be the thread were the more seasoned riders an gearhead type check most often. Question time lol. I'm getting ready to ride 2,200 miles in 2 an a half days on my vtr (insert frown here) so out side of oil chain check tires brakes clutch lights etc.... Is there anything I shld prep the bike for or expect long distance problems from it. outside the obvious total discomfort an numbness. An again I'm sorry if this isn't the right place for this question I've just kinda come to trust your judgment an advice an wasn't sure you'd guys see this in the other threads plus its 'maintenance' right lol.
Thanx guys
Besides the regular stuff that you already mentioned the VTR should have no problems. Have you done the CCT's and R/R?
Old 09-05-2010, 06:18 AM
Back Marker

I haven't done the CCT's yet but plan on it b4 I leave on tue. An I'm not sure wat R/R is I'm still pretty big newb an tryn to get the lingo an parts talk down lol
Old 09-05-2010, 06:35 AM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Regulator/rectifier. Look in your service manual, identify the location and check to see if yours is the finned version or not. Search the forum for symptoms of failure. Carry an extra with you. Take plenty of ibuprofin with you too. I see you are continuing to work on your spelling! Good job!
Old 09-05-2010, 06:51 AM
Back Marker

RW-
I'll check into that when I get home from work an pick up an extra. I was hopen to hear your advice on this one. Whether you've noticed or not My newb dependent *** has kinda adopted you as my go to advice guy lmfao thanx as always for the help
P.s. The word "maintenance" about killed my *** lol I tried like 20 different combinations for the spell check to finally get it right hahahahahahhahaha :P
Old 09-05-2010, 07:08 AM
Back Marker

When do you leave on your trip? You may be able to get a R1/R6 rectifier from a wrecker or ebay and have it in time to change it. Its a very easy mod. Takes about an hour or so to do.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:15 AM
Back Marker

I'm leaving around 3 tue afternoon so I doubt I would have time for ebay but maybe I can find one out a wrecker. are they that expensive new?
Old 09-05-2010, 07:27 AM
SuperBike

Did you get those OEM velocity stacks? Where are you going by the way?
Old 09-05-2010, 07:36 AM
Back Marker

the stacks are suppose to be on the way shld b here monday. I found some on craigslist. An I'm headed to orrville ohio its about an hour south of cleveland 998.9 miles from ocala fl an I'm leaving from about a 100miles south of ocala
Old 09-05-2010, 08:28 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
A hot tip is to take a break before you absolutely need it... If you push until you absolutely need it, recovery is longer, so the rest needs to be longer for the same effect... If you take a rest before you are pushing it, you bounce back faster, and last longer before the next stop... It's a matter of circulation...
Old 09-05-2010, 08:35 AM
Back Marker

I hadn't thought about that tweety but sounds like good advice. The farthest I've rode my vtr 79miles one way an I was haten life lol then back later that night. so this is a whole new beast an quit a big distance leep lol but should be one hell of an experience thanx again
Old 09-05-2010, 09:40 AM
SuperBike

Remember the common things, tire pressure (not by "feel" Havoc), chain tension, chain lube (take a small can), oil level (make sure you use the right type), brake/clutch fluid, lights, current insurance card, rain gear, stuff to clean your visor. Did you get a jacket, gloves and boots?
Old 09-05-2010, 01:21 PM
Back Marker

Lol tire pressure's good just got them changed 2 days ago so I'm sure its right but I'll check again before I leave. I don't know wat the right type of engine oil is? I just changed it an used that 10$ a quart v-twin sport oil an I was told that was good to use an that it was unnecessary but I did so o-well I guess. Quick clutch question? That "dial" like screw between the handle an the grip wat shld that be adjusted to or is that rider preference? An as for the costly topic of gear, holy crap that stuff is lots of dollars lol I've bein checking around flee markets before I drop 300+ dollars on gear but so far have only turned up those (in my opinion) corny *** looking jackets covered in tathles. so might just have to bite the bullet an drop the cash at the bike shop. I make just enough to get by an wouldn't even b maken this trip if I cld afford plain tickets an a rental car. So while I understand gear is immpirtant I dnt really have an excuse for not getting it lol.
Thanx again for the help an advice
HaVoC
Old 09-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Back Marker

I just checked the R/R thing on my bike an its the one with a bunch of fins on it the numbers on the top are
SH693-12
T5.D 101
If that means anything to anybody.
So from looking at the pic in the manual its already bein changed. On a side note I wonder what else the PO has done to this bike. That's the 3rd after market thing I've found on this bike. The R/R, the sprocket size change, an took the baffles out of the cans. O an gave it this horrible paint job lol color is bad (metallic white) just did a horrible job painting it lol but ima fix that with charcoal grey an black netting, give that carbon fiber look just haven't decided on gloss or matt finish yet.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:45 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
I'm getting ready to ride 2,200 miles in 2 an a half days on my vtr
+
The farthest I've rode my vtr 79miles one way an I was haten life lol
+
An as for the costly topic of gear, holy crap that stuff is lots of dollars lol I've bein checking around flee markets before I drop 300+ dollars on gear
I don't know you at all, but this is starting to sound like a real bad combination. If you are set on making this trip I wish you the best of luck, but I sincerely hope you have planned it out and considered alternatives.

I've done a 1000 miles a day on a VTR and it hurts. That's with an awesome seat, grips, gloves, etc. All the right gear to go the long haul. Not to mention building up with progressively longer rides to get the body used to it and just being in all around good physical shape.

Do you have to be back to work at the end of the trip? If the answer is yes that's a recipe for disaster. You will force yourself to push through the hail storm, or keep going even though the bike is running a little funny. Maybe it's ok to cruise at three digits for an entire state, the cops won't chase you anyway. (I've done all of these things because I was stupid and had to make it back to work the next day).

Like I said, don't know you at all. Just sounds like something I would have done when I was younger. Now that I'm a little older and wiser, I'd either buy a plane ticket or not go.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Back Marker

Yeah dumb might b the word lmao but I'm gonna push threw anyway I'm needed back home an dnt have a choice(I dnt own a car btw) leaving tue afternoon b there wed an leaving again thursday a.m. To be back to work friday a.m. o arg lol wen I actually type it out an read it sounds even more horrible lmfao o-well cld b fun right?
Thanx bro
Old 09-05-2010, 02:10 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
You need to have jacket, pants, gloves and boots for that trip... If not, don't go... You need to have done at least half the mileage in one go on the bike so you know what you are doing... If not don't go...
You need to know your bike is good to go that distance... If not don't go...

You starting to see a pattern here?
Old 09-05-2010, 02:37 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
What you are talking about here is basically a back to back "Iron Butt". To complete the Iron Butt, you need to ride 1000 miles in 24 hours. Most riders, including myself, wouldn't even think of attempting that...on any bike, or even in a car.

A member on the Forum did the Iron Butt a year or so ago. You might check his thread about going that distance. Search "Iron Butt" threads.

If you do go, be sure to check your engine oil periodically. My bike has gone through about 1/2 quart every 1000+ miles since it was new.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Back Marker

Lol I didn't know there was a name for it but sure why not here I come iron butt. Sounds kinda gay wen I say it like that lol. Like I said before if I didn't have to I wouldn't but I dnt really have a choice beside let everyone down or go I'm choosing go and crossing my fingers try'n to be as ready as I can be an hopen for the best
Old 09-05-2010, 08:26 PM
SuperBike

Your butt is gonna be worse than iron my friend, it's going to be jello. What I am more concerned about is your lack of gear. You have to protect yourself. I feel so strongly about this that if you were near me I'd loan you my stuff (maybe not the Troy Lee Shoei) but at least a jacket. Get some gloves (with gel pads, your hands will thank you) and at least a jacket with some armor in it. Do you have a puncture repair kit? How are you carrying your stuff on the bike? Tank bag? Strapped to the tail? Where do you plan on spending the night? Do you have a throttle lock? I know I sound like your father but you have to plan these things out. Do you have someone to call if something goes wrong? Have you polled the members here to see if you could cruise by their places enroute if something happens and you need help? You know you'll have to stop about every 100 miles for fuel so I hope you are leaving yourself plenty of time to make this trip without pushing too hard. Last but not least keep us up to date.

What size jacket do you wear? I have a brand new Gericke Tribal in my closet size medium that my wife will never wear and I will sell it to you for what I paid for it which was 80 bux if it will fit. I can ship it to Ohio so you'd at least have it for the ride home. If you don't have the scratch, you can pay it out. Yellow and black color.

Last edited by RWhisen; 09-05-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:55 PM
Back Marker

Glove-check just bought them on way back to work brand is fuel or something(walmart) but they are comfy
Boots check also from walmart but seem like they'll do the job (leather steel toe) not so comfy but not horrible gotta brake them in.
Tire repair kit great idea can't believe I over looked that one thank you. But other then that I got gas money the people who need me putting me up (obviously) food an all that taken care of. I've gauged my guess an I can run it to about 130miles but that's dead empty gonna bring an extra litter of 93 with me. An I'm carrying everything in a back pack o an mp3 check lol mine as well say screw it with out that lol(that of all things is my biggest concern god I'm a ******* newb) an thanx for jacket offer but I think it would b to small I'm pretty wide across chest an shoulders. But seriously from the heart on this thanx for the help an advice I'll keep this updated with trip info. Did you get my R/R reply? I'm sure there's more I ment to say but I'm at work an kinda busy lol
Old 09-05-2010, 09:00 PM
SuperBike

You be careful....
Old 09-05-2010, 09:12 PM
Back Marker

I got this *cross's fingers* hahahaha. But thanx again for everything an I will be I'll keep ya posted probly start a new thread in general disscusion "trip to ohio" so I dnt get flamed for usen the wrong thread
Old 09-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Back Marker

You sound young and energetic. Everyone has a bike trip that they will never forget whether is was that fun or that miserable. You have to discover misery on a motorbike to make the changes to enjoy it. Just keep the wheels on the pavement, take your breaks, ride smart and you'll make it. Be on the bike early in the morning and check the weather in advance so you can prepare. Good luck and let us know how it works out. And also spell your words and use proper grammer or Tweety gets mad!
Old 09-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Back Marker

Lol I'll keep ya posted I'm going to start a new thread in general discussion. It should b fun or at least wonderfully miserable if that makes sence. I'm 25 an more energy an stamina then I know what to do with so physical I think I got this. An sorry about spelling an grammar I've bein tryn to work on that but I've bein a big rush replying to these tonight so my apologies to everyone I'll get back on track with that. Plus spell check accepts txt type so dosent always catch them if I don't an its a harder habit to quite then smoking lol
Old 09-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Squid

dcohawk01 is on a distinguished road
HAVOC if your south of Ocala stop and see my son at Sky motor Sports in Lakeland. Ask for Clay. Tell him his Dad sent ya. he can hook you up with a jacket at a good price. I just got back from PA tonight. The temps got down into the high 40s last night. Your gonna need a jacket. Be careful dude. That's a long haul.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:21 PM
Back Marker

thanks dcohawk i always feel a little akward about doin things like that but if its that cold i might have to bite my shyness an go for it lol thank you very much i gotta go right by there to hit i10
Old 09-05-2010, 11:02 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
Im very curious,what route are you taking.i hope you not thinking of going thru atlanta.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:07 AM
Back Marker

Saige-
No I'm not goin threw atlanta but thought about I've never bein there an thought it might b cool way to see it, mayb on way back. But I taken 75n to i10w to 295 to 26 then 95 to 77 all the way from SC to ohio I believe
Old 09-06-2010, 12:20 AM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
ok,was just wondering,it is pretty cool thru there,but to drive the highway on a motorcycle could be a little dangerous,on those highways thru atlanta,they run between 80-90mph,and thats normal.i driven thru there alot in cars but not motorcycle.thats if you go straight thru,if you go around,its not bad but it gets tight with alot of traffic.if you not use to constant crazy driving,i would becarefull.

Quick Reply: long,long,long trip ahead