Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

A few questions about gearing, and brand of chains/sprockets

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 12:29 AM
Back Marker

Otto Man is on a distinguished road
A few questions about gearing, and brand of chains/sprockets

First off let me post the AWESOME excel spreadsheet that has been made special for our bikes. Most of you have seen it, but I might as well throw it in here for the new guys or if this thread comes up in a search in the future.

http://ozfirestorm.proboards34.com/i...7340911&page=1

My chain/sprockets are showing the wear and tear after 6k miles, so I figure while I'm replacing them I might as well modify it some. 8) The stock gearing is 16/41 and I am looking to go 15/42. From the excel sheet, this would take me from 4k at 70mph stock to 4k at 64.2mph (This is in 6th gear). I like gearing the bike down some, because I can be an idiot at times so it prevents my top end from being too high when I try to set the land speed records. I don't see the tendencies to do wheelies as a bad thing, either. I'm not terribly worried about the speedo because I also plan on getting a speedohealer to fix the already inaccuracte speedometer.

What are some good name companies for sprockets/chains? I don't want the most expensive thing out there, but I would like for something to last a decent while and being able to withstand the deeper-geared hawk. Do any of you with lower geared hawks have any regrets about doing it? Thanks guys!
Old 01-15-2007, 12:38 AM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
No regrets, minus the even-lower-fuel-range. But hey, when you're used to dealing with practically nothing, even less doesn't affect anything.

I had no problems with my AFAM sprockets and EK chain. My chain only lasted about 5k miles though, until I had to replace it. But, those 5k miles included four trackdays.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:51 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
+1 on AFAM. Most major brands of chain are good for our bikes. Just get the 520 that has the highest tensile strength and is an o-ring, x-ring, or whatever they've come up with now. Oh, BTW, I highly suggest the 520 conversion. It's lighter and less expensive and will not really wear any quicker than the stock 530. Of course (and not to bust your ***** or anything) getting only 6000 miles from a set of sprockets and chain means you really need to start taking care of them better.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:57 AM
Superstock

Speed_Demon is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Otto Man
I like gearing the bike down some, because I can be an idiot at times so it prevents my top end from being too high when I try to set the land speed records.
You can gear your bike way down without hurting the top-end. Your stock bike is capable of 151mph. Gearing it down will probably make it faster. 15/42 = 160.2 mph at 10k rpm, not that it will do it but in 6th at that rpm thats how fast it is going.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:10 PM
Back Marker

Otto Man is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
+1 on AFAM. Most major brands of chain are good for our bikes. Just get the 520 that has the highest tensile strength and is an o-ring, x-ring, or whatever they've come up with now. Oh, BTW, I highly suggest the 520 conversion. It's lighter and less expensive and will not really wear any quicker than the stock 530. Of course (and not to bust your ***** or anything) getting only 6000 miles from a set of sprockets and chain means you really need to start taking care of them better.
Bought it used with 6k miles, and only personally have put on about 500 so far. I'm a picky dude when it comes to my bikes.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:47 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Ahhhh, gotcha. Bustin' the PO's ***** then.