Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Cylinder quit, installed new plugs, still nothing...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 09:47 PM
Squid

sam0182 is on a distinguished road
Cylinder quit, installed new plugs, still nothing...

Hey guys,

Read through the last few pages of spark plug issues - they were a great help! Got the plugs swapped out with minimal issues, hardest part being finding an 18mm socket that was small enough to get in between the block!

So plugs are swapped, it's the first cylinder that's not running. Both plugs were pretty dark and needed to be replaced...front has evidence of getting gas, just not fire. New plugs in, still nothing.

What's next?

I don't have the time tonight but tomorrow I'll pull the front and do a spark check, make sure I'm getting spark on that front plug. If I'm not, I'm looking at a coil? If I am, I'm looking at a lot more?

Any info/input is appreciated...I'll be researching more through past threads tomorrow at work to see if there are previous questions similar to mine.

Thanks guys!

Sam
Old 10-02-2007, 10:03 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by sam0182
Hey guys,

Read through the last few pages of spark plug issues - they were a great help! Got the plugs swapped out with minimal issues, hardest part being finding an 18mm socket that was small enough to get in between the block!

So plugs are swapped, it's the first cylinder that's not running. Both plugs were pretty dark and needed to be replaced...front has evidence of getting gas, just not fire. New plugs in, still nothing.

What's next?

I don't have the time tonight but tomorrow I'll pull the front and do a spark check, make sure I'm getting spark on that front plug. If I'm not, I'm looking at a coil? If I am, I'm looking at a lot more?

Any info/input is appreciated...I'll be researching more through past threads tomorrow at work to see if there are previous questions similar to mine.

Thanks guys!

Sam
Well first you have to do a spark test and yes the coils and plug wires\boots would be the first thing to check if you get nothing or it's weak. So let us know whats going on after to get these things checked.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:57 PM
Squid

J-Bird487 is on a distinguished road
the honda dealer can get you one for like $49.00 or you can get one from bike bandit for like a dollar cheeper. i know because i have just replaced the front and rear. also you could check check the boots by unscrewing them and checking the resistance. you can read my post called "figure this one out" on here. i had all kinds of electrical problems.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:03 AM
Squid

Will do guys, I'll be running through this info at work and will report back tonight!

I appreciate it...any more input is welcome!

Thanks!
Old 10-03-2007, 07:23 PM
Squid

Mmk, pulled the plug, put into the bolt and had it against the block...cranked it over and NO spark. More so, the plug is very loose in the boot.

Getting a meter out now...where do I check? At the coil? And how?

Thanks!

Last edited by sam0182; 10-03-2007 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:02 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by sam0182
Mmk, pulled the plug, put into the bolt and had it against the block...cranked it over and NO spark. More so, the plug is very loose in the boot.

Getting a meter out now...where do I check? At the coil? And how?

Thanks!
Well first check all your fuses. Second figure out why the plug is loose in the boot- if you look down the boot you can see a slot for a screw driver, make sure it is tight. Then down load the manual and do the tests on the coils. I would give you a better discripion of the test but I'm at work and my manual is at home...
Old 10-04-2007, 11:09 AM
Squid

Sounds good, will do and report back.

I appreciate the quick follow-up
Old 10-18-2007, 07:44 AM
Squid

Can anyone point me to the link of where the Superhawk manual is online?

I've searched around this forum but wasn't able to find anything...maybe I'm just blind :X

*And I have the front coil off...just trying to figure out how to go about performing the test.

Thanks!
Old 10-18-2007, 08:33 AM
jet wrench
Back Marker

loserbaby is on a distinguished road
Yeh... blind, the manual is a sticky in the knowledge base section.

It is easy to just swap coils front to rear, if your front is in fact bad, it will then be in the rear position which is the easier to pull back off and replace. I have read about a few people with coil problems and I think the resistor is at fault, I've seen where guys replace it with a brass slug, I think copper would be better... but I have not gotten that far into it. I had a coil that fired the plug out of the cyl, but installed it would not run and swapping them was the only way to find it. For you, a swap eliminates your entire ignition system and will guarantee it's the coil if the problem follows, of course if the problem does NOT follow, you will be back to T/Sing.

Blam
Old 10-18-2007, 11:20 AM
Squid

Thanks!