SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Cylinder quit, installed new plugs, still nothing... (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/cylinder-quit-installed-new-plugs-still-nothing-12845/)

sam0182 10-02-2007 09:47 PM

Cylinder quit, installed new plugs, still nothing...

Hey guys,

Read through the last few pages of spark plug issues - they were a great help! Got the plugs swapped out with minimal issues, hardest part being finding an 18mm socket that was small enough to get in between the block!

So plugs are swapped, it's the first cylinder that's not running. Both plugs were pretty dark and needed to be replaced...front has evidence of getting gas, just not fire. New plugs in, still nothing.

What's next?

I don't have the time tonight but tomorrow I'll pull the front and do a spark check, make sure I'm getting spark on that front plug. If I'm not, I'm looking at a coil? If I am, I'm looking at a lot more?

Any info/input is appreciated...I'll be researching more through past threads tomorrow at work to see if there are previous questions similar to mine.

Thanks guys! :)

Sam

8541Hawk 10-02-2007 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by sam0182 (Post 131872)
Hey guys,

Read through the last few pages of spark plug issues - they were a great help! Got the plugs swapped out with minimal issues, hardest part being finding an 18mm socket that was small enough to get in between the block!

So plugs are swapped, it's the first cylinder that's not running. Both plugs were pretty dark and needed to be replaced...front has evidence of getting gas, just not fire. New plugs in, still nothing.

What's next?

I don't have the time tonight but tomorrow I'll pull the front and do a spark check, make sure I'm getting spark on that front plug. If I'm not, I'm looking at a coil? If I am, I'm looking at a lot more?

Any info/input is appreciated...I'll be researching more through past threads tomorrow at work to see if there are previous questions similar to mine.

Thanks guys! :)

Sam

Well first you have to do a spark test and yes the coils and plug wires\boots would be the first thing to check if you get nothing or it's weak. So let us know whats going on after to get these things checked.

J-Bird487 10-02-2007 11:57 PM

the honda dealer can get you one for like $49.00 or you can get one from bike bandit for like a dollar cheeper. i know because i have just replaced the front and rear. also you could check check the boots by unscrewing them and checking the resistance. you can read my post called "figure this one out" on here. i had all kinds of electrical problems.

sam0182 10-03-2007 05:03 AM

Will do guys, I'll be running through this info at work and will report back tonight!

I appreciate it...any more input is welcome!

Thanks! :D

sam0182 10-03-2007 07:23 PM

Mmk, pulled the plug, put into the bolt and had it against the block...cranked it over and NO spark. More so, the plug is very loose in the boot.

Getting a meter out now...where do I check? At the coil? And how?

Thanks!

8541Hawk 10-04-2007 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by sam0182 (Post 131947)
Mmk, pulled the plug, put into the bolt and had it against the block...cranked it over and NO spark. More so, the plug is very loose in the boot.

Getting a meter out now...where do I check? At the coil? And how?

Thanks!

Well first check all your fuses. Second figure out why the plug is loose in the boot- if you look down the boot you can see a slot for a screw driver, make sure it is tight. Then down load the manual and do the tests on the coils. I would give you a better discripion of the test but I'm at work and my manual is at home...

sam0182 10-04-2007 11:09 AM

Sounds good, will do and report back.

I appreciate the quick follow-up :)

sam0182 10-18-2007 07:44 AM

Can anyone point me to the link of where the Superhawk manual is online?

I've searched around this forum but wasn't able to find anything...maybe I'm just blind :X

*And I have the front coil off...just trying to figure out how to go about performing the test.

Thanks!

loserbaby 10-18-2007 08:33 AM

Yeh... blind, the manual is a sticky in the knowledge base section.

It is easy to just swap coils front to rear, if your front is in fact bad, it will then be in the rear position which is the easier to pull back off and replace. I have read about a few people with coil problems and I think the resistor is at fault, I've seen where guys replace it with a brass slug, I think copper would be better... but I have not gotten that far into it. I had a coil that fired the plug out of the cyl, but installed it would not run and swapping them was the only way to find it. For you, a swap eliminates your entire ignition system and will guarantee it's the coil if the problem follows, of course if the problem does NOT follow, you will be back to T/Sing.

Blam

sam0182 10-18-2007 11:20 AM

Thanks!