RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

Time to quit riding...?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 02:57 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
Time to quit riding...?

So many of you will probably remember I had a bad crash back in October breaking my upper back in three places. Anyways I am getting tired of the looks I get from people and the comments I get when they ask me if I am done riding now and I tell them no. I plan to ride again but a good number of people seem to think that shows how stupid I am, and have lately decided I really need to know their opinion on the matter. I think it seems like most of them don't really know the extent it means to me to ride or really how passionate about it I am, and how that would kill a part of my spirit if I was really to quit.

Am I really not thinking? I would like to think that I knew the risk before the accident and still chose to ride so why would the fact its more of a reality change my feelings on the matter.

The people questioning me like I am stupid seem to think I only ride to fulfill a certain image and thus it should be easy to just stop right. A motorcycle is only a toy after all and I am grown up now so put the toys away and go do sensible adult stuff, and stop being so selfish.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:08 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
F them, do what you need to.

Example, you get in a car accident, do you stop driving?
You get a chick pregnant, do you stop screwing?
You hit your thumb with a hammer, do you stop pounding?

EVERYTHING in life has risk, when the odds run out you cant run away from it.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:15 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
why be afraid of doing things in life that make you happy? you only live once man, dont regret not doing what you want to do. id rather die doing something i love than die old crippled and useless wishing i had done more with my life
Old 02-13-2011, 03:22 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
I am with the guys above. What gives some of these people the right to look down their nose at you? Then again if you don't want to hear an answer don't ask.

Do what you like to do and be happy, only you can do that for yourself, unless one of the opinioners is a really smoking hot 20 something year old with large luscious *****, tight rear end and severe pouty lips, she could make you happy.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:27 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't even try explaining it to the people asking... that's wasted time that you can spend riding
Old 02-13-2011, 03:42 PM
Squid

melmsrt4 is on a distinguished road
I quite riding over 10 years ago due to financial trouble and arthritis. I then picked it up again about 18 months ago after finding better arthritis medicine. Then about a year ago I had my worst accident ever, broke 4 ribs, terrible concussion, and seperated shoulder that required additional surgury. Some have looked at me funny also about wanting to ride again, due to job and finances, I have yet to really get to rebuild and ride again. But unless I'm physically not able to ride, I will ride again.

My oldest daughter is not too happy with that thought, but my wife and youngest daughter understands what it means to me. Don't let others dictate what you do with your life. You won't be the same person if you give up riding on someone elses terms.

RIDE ON!
Old 02-13-2011, 04:04 PM
Superstock

hondavtr1000sp2 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Little_Horse
I think it seems like most of them don't really know the extent it means to me to ride or really how passionate about it I am, and how that would kill a part of my spirit if I was really to quit.

I think you may have already answered this question.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:51 PM
Superstock

Mattaua is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by autoteach
F them, do what you need to.

Example, you get in a car accident, do you stop driving?
You get a chick pregnant, do you stop screwing?
You hit your thumb with a hammer, do you stop pounding?

EVERYTHING in life has risk, when the odds run out you cant run away from it.
+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
Old 02-13-2011, 05:01 PM
Superstock

archaicguy is on a distinguished road
I've lived my whole life by this statement.
" I will not live my life in fear of what could happen but enjoy my life and deal with the bad things in life as they come."
Old 02-13-2011, 05:04 PM
Back Marker

offroad_rider2008 is on a distinguished road
well, you already heard everyones opinion, b4 me and I agree with each and every one cuz they all say the same thing, you have to do what you love to do, just enjoy what you do
Old 02-13-2011, 05:06 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Andrew,
I started riding in 1964, but didn't own a bike until 1981. I was 35 and my Dad was pissed. I said, "Dad, I'm 35 years old". Going on 200,000 miles later, and 2 crashes (1 was my fault), I can't imagine quitting riding.

Your story reminds me of 1965 when I was hit by my surfboard, and I got 10 stitches in my forehead, 1 1/2 inch long gash (obviously nothing compared to your injury, but as a comparison). My Mom said, "You're going to quit surfing now, right?". To which I responded, "Yeah, the doctor said I should stay out of the water for 2 weeks." The point is, some people (especially parents) want you to live in a bubble. My Mom was really upset when I bought my first VW, a cherry '62, in 1966 as well.

And as far as the image thing...I think that only applies to Harley posers.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:10 PM
SuperBike

Well apparently I didn't realize this but before you crash its "managing risk" and after you crash the risk is unmanageable since the odds have changed .

Although I must admit the issue is more complex then my need to ride. Two little girls and a wife whose heart was nearly broken racing to the hospital wondering if I was going to make it, I can't just say screw them... even though the wife isn't one of the people saying I shouldn't ride she understands me. Its others who think I need to understand the way she feels and think they need to speak up for her and make me stop who are driving me nuts.

Oh on another crash note ever notice how once you crash that you no longer qualify for the skilled rider award with anyone who doesn't ride. As if crashing only shows lack of skill lol. Now when I talk about riding to some people I have lost all my credibility to make safe riding statements.

"well duh dude you broke you back"
Old 02-13-2011, 05:24 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Crap, I wanted to say exactly what autoteach said.. Crashing is as much a part of life as anything. If you did it skiing (people die skiing all the time) then even the doctor would be saying "lets see how long before we can get you on the slopes". My race buddie's wife broke her leg at the racetrack setting up the tent! One guy heard that 90% of accidents occur 1 mile or less from home...so he moved.
You dont need to quit anything just because you got hurt doing it. Picture if everyone did that. Its up to you. What were the details of the accident? Was it avoidable? were you pushing/ not focusing? What happened?
Old 02-13-2011, 05:40 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Those who get it, get it, those who don't never will. I too was laid up in a hospital further to a riding accident (though not with a broken back, though I had bones busted o'plenty). As others have said, you only live once. Do it less often, do it more sensibly, do it in safer riding areas, ..... just don't ever don't quit doing it for anyone but yourself......
Old 02-13-2011, 05:47 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
as I get older my view on this changes - so a lot of you may think this sounds lame, as would I have at different times. I mostly am on the side of saying I love it, its my form of meditation, the only time I really don't focus on anything else. And all thats true. But I've never had a serious accident. And none of us or just out riding a cruiser taking it easy - we ride sports bikes and like most of us ride them the way they were supposed to be ridden. So there are risks - and much higher than in a car. You could lose your ability to make a living, walk, die, huge recovery etc. And as much as I like to think its my 'thing', something I 'need', the truth is when I get back into bicycling, or hiking or whatever it may be for you, the motorcycling becomes less important in the big picture of what I really 'need' - but its funny what we convince ourselves of. There are times in your life when your responsibilities are your first and most important job. So maybe you lay off for awhile if you are having any thoughts at all. Or you compromise and get a trail bike when your daughters are old enough to do with them. I've gone through several segments of life with a bike in the garage that didn't get much use on it. It will be obvious after a little while and you can always come back to the bike. Good luck either way. Just don't dig yourself into a position without giving it some thought.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:59 PM
MotoGP

The head of the rock climbing school at Yosemite died on the sidewalk in front of the climbing school office about 20 years ago. He was riding his bike to work and slipped on some ice on the sidewalk right in front of the door to the school, while going about 5 mph. I'm sure many non climbers he knew thought he was crazy for climbing El Capitan and Half Dome, but thought riding a bike to work was healthy.

Oh, and by "bike" I mean bicycle...

And when I bought my first motorcycle, my daughters were 3 and 4 years old.

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 02-13-2011 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:13 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2...tock-accident/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ing-class.html

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Cor...116108009.html

The alternative to living is not living. Death follows both, but depression and anxiety only effect one. Honestly, the odds, like winning the lottery, are so obscure and hard to play that if you choose not to play you have no chance at anything. You could die tomorrow from an aneurysm, heart attack, choke on a peach pit, or whatever. Your wife and kids know how motorcycling plays into your life, and they understand the role they play in your life. If they are rational they will not ask you to stop, just the same as you wont have your daughters stay home from college so they dont suffer from date rape.

As for your friends that are questioning you, they neither understand freedom nor have experienced it. They are up tight, and cant possibly understand what they refuse to accept or experience. Know that you have far more friends and family (motorcyclist) that understand you then those that dont. Ride, ride often, and dont look back. A good example: The preacher that we have as a customer, rides 20k miles a year to work and home. Has a vfr800 and an xr650l. He rides year round, to church and to school where he teaches. He is in his 60's, has a family, and probably couldnt live without a motorcycle.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:27 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
It's a personal choice.. me,. I'll ride till I physically can not ride.... that could be tomorrow, or after my next deployment or in 40 years... but until them, crash or no crash.. I'm riding.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:01 PM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Kendrick is on a distinguished road
I crashed this thing and rebuilt it and got back on. Just saying, I'm not the brightest.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:28 PM
SuperBike

well the hawk is already rebuilt... that should speak for itself , I was putting it back together on a 5 lb lifting limit, although I had some help from a friend to lift the heavier stuff. I call it wrench therapy...

All the thoughts are great, I already feel a little better.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:31 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Each person must decide for himself. I would not let my daughter, wife, friends, the pope or any other ******* determine what I'm going to do by virtue of their opinions. People are going to judge you whether you continue to ride or not. If you keep riding, you're selfish and stupid for having a death wish when you have responsibilities; and if you quit riding, they'll say you were stupid for being reckless by putting yourself at risk in the first place, but now you have learned a lesson, one that they, the intelligentsia, have already known.

These people who want to judge you are wannabees themselves and wouldn't know a passion if they fell over it. If you decide to quit riding because you figure that it's not worth another injury, that's you business and you probably are not as passionate as you may have once thought. Only you know the answer to that.

People like the teenage surfer girl who lost a limb to a shark is back in the water surfing and there are countless others like her. People who would rather live life than give up what makes live worth living are passionate. Stupid? maybe. Passionate? you know the answer and anyone with a passion does too.

You have to assume responsibility for you own decisions and be willing to suffer the consquences thereof no matter what the outcome.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:00 PM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
Uh....what kind or responses did you think you were going to get on a motorcycle enthusiasts' forum?

Ride as often as you want, for as long as you desire; I haven't met a person yet who wasn't going to die.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:45 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by nath981
Each person must decide for himself.

These people who want to judge you are wannabees themselves and wouldn't know a passion if they fell over it.

People like the teenage surfer girl who lost a limb to a shark is back in the water surfing and there are countless others like her. People who would rather live life than give up what makes live worth living are passionate. Stupid? maybe. Passionate? you know the answer and anyone with a passion does too.
That surfer girl is Bethany Hamilton, and I saw her at T Street here in San Clemente last summer. She's still surfing and placing well in contests...with 1 arm...on a short board.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:53 AM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
That surfer girl is Bethany Hamilton, and I saw her at T Street here in San Clemente last summer. She's still surfing and placing well in contests...with 1 arm...on a short board.
They just made a movie about her, starring Jack Nicholson's daughter, called Soul Surfer (that's only a working title, I hope).

Hey Little Horse, maybe they'll make a movie about you too if you ride again. How come they think you're dumb, and she's a hero for doing the same thing; getting back on the horse right after a fall?

Last edited by nekkid; 02-14-2011 at 07:56 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:26 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Andrew, I'm coming to this conversation late.

I agree with all the sentiments already stated.

As the guy who went down the same day as you, this is how I feel and what was related to me by people.

My dad had this to say: In Jan of 1986, I was 10 and I live in Boca Raton, Fl. I was outside on my way to lunch at school. We knew the Shuttle was scheduled for lift off. We saw it going up, we saw the smoke plumes split. We watched a lot of tv in class describing what had just happened. My dad told after my motorcycle accident, that I asked him after the shuttle blew up if he would still up. He said without hesitation "Yes". He went on to explain to me that he was not going to allow me to be afraid of doing things. So when my 7 year old son asked me if I was going to ride again, I say without hesitation "Yes" cause I'm not going to install fear in him.

The nurse who helped with my bandages kept asking me if I was going to ride again. I kept saying Yes. She kept asking why. I have many reasons, the one that caused her to never ask again was this. "Did we stop trying to go into space after Apollo 1 burned on the launch pad?"

I am in the United States Navy. I am a Submariner. For over 100 years we have been putting submarines to sea. Did we stop after we lost 1? No.

We put into effect training and precautions to lessen the chances of it happening again. For riding, I've been reading some books by World Champion Racers, and trying to glean knowledge from their experience.

I am already a more cautious driver because of the accident, and expect that I will be more situationally aware and more cautious when I get back on the bike.

I have no intentions of giving up riding. I hope that you don't either.

Erik

BTW, My 62 year old father (not saying he's old, just stating his age) is buying another bike and building one. My crash didn't affect his love of riding. My getting into the hobby helped rekindle his passion.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:12 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
I'm going to agree with mikstr... "Those wo get it, get it... Those who doesn't, never will..."

I was walking around in bandages and casts a while ago, my family never even asked me if I was going to stop riding, as it wasn't even something I considered... My dad is riding at 62, he's been off a few times, I have been off a few times... It's part of riding that you accept the possible outcome... And to us, riding is part of life...
Old 02-14-2011, 09:31 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
If they have to question it, they don't understand. just say Ok and move on.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:58 PM
Squid

joe6pack is on a distinguished road
"Everything you love will be taken from you"
-old Zen line

There are many thoughtful pieces on this thread. Risk of serious injury is a given in this sport, animating us with adrenalin and ego. Just look at all the skull images... Decisions on acceptable levels of risk are necessarily personal ones. Around this time of year I start wasting alot of time looking at bikes on ebay and such. Got two in the garage, got the tires and CCT's for my Superhawk sitting unopened and uninstalled from last year, my GPz hasn't been started in over a year, and I want a Hayabusa so bad my teeth hurt. Not entirely rational behavior, but predictable as clockwork.

Going back about three decades now, I sold my V45 Interceptor and bought a new FJ1100 and rode it 20K or so that year. That was also around the time I had my first bout with awareness of mortality on the occasion of my 30th birthday, and in a panic went and bought myself a "ten speed". It never once occured to me to quit riding motorcycles, but in the following years I would find myself pulling on spandex in leiu of leathers on those increasingly rare days off. Turns out I did alot of bicycling, and at age 50 I was diagnosed with osteoporosis resulting from around 60,000 miles of non-weightbearing exercise on bicycles. Took up running, and although I'm striving for balance, the old pattern is exactly the same. And I guess that's my point, if there even is a point, that it's ALL the same.

Should you stop riding on account of your injury? I would echo the others on this thread and say hell no, not on account of that. I would also say to follow your passions the way water follows a stream bed, knowing that all is new, made over and over again at every instant and all we can do as living manifestations of those rocks and water is accept what is inevitable and flow with the changes over which we have no control. It's a beautiful afternoon in Colorado, think I'll go for a ______.

Best regards,
Ken
Old 02-14-2011, 02:40 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
+1 to Cliby
My decision to ride affects the people I love and the people I'm responsible for and to.
Riding for me is not something trivial like playing with a toy. It's expressive, creative, peaceful and demanding. It's part of who I am.
I know that one day I'll have to give it up. My riding skills will not be at a level necessary to deal with forseeable risks and my loved ones may recognize it before I do.
Until then, I'm committed to riding well and prudently and to letting my loved ones know how important riding is to me and how grateful I am that, in spite of their fears and concerns, they understand how much it means to me.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:18 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

geekonamotorcycle is on a distinguished road
It would kill a part of me too. It is dangerous but still very important to me.

Quick Reply: Time to quit riding...?