Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Cooling System and, maybe, Electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 03:00 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Pulling the clutch isn't a big deal - I just did it yesterday so I could remove the water pump driven gear and chain. You will need a 30mm socket - a pnuematic impact drive was plenty helpful too. It saves having to have the special tool or figuring out how to stop the inner and out baskets from turning.
If you have those it's pretty simple - just follow the shop manual
Old 08-01-2010, 03:13 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Make one, all you need is your old clutch and friction plates. bolt them together after drilling 4- 1/4" holes in them at 90 degree separation. Then just place a block of wood through the rear wheel and let it rotate against the swing arm, now you can torque the clutch hub just fine.

Cooling System and, maybe, Electrical Problem-clutchhubholdertool.jpg
Old 08-01-2010, 03:17 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Oh and I use 2 of each, I put the steel plates to the outside and the friction plates sandwiched between them.

Make sure you put them into the hub before you tighten them up.

Do not drill them while they are in the bike. unless you don't mind metal chips floating around in there
Old 08-01-2010, 08:16 PM
Mid-level Member
Superstock

fred
Originally Posted by Stevebis1
Pulling the clutch isn't a big deal - I just did it yesterday so I could remove the water pump driven gear and chain. You will need a 30mm socket - a pnuematic impact drive was plenty helpful too. It saves having to have the special tool or figuring out how to stop the inner and out baskets from turning.
If you have those it's pretty simple - just follow the shop manual
took me a while to realize that there was a page '2'. sounds easy! i have both. can't
wait to have those plates flying across the garage! :-)
Old 08-01-2010, 08:31 PM
Mid-level Member
Superstock

fred
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Make one, all you need is your old clutch and friction plates. bolt them together after drilling 4- 1/4" holes in them at 90 degree separation. Then just place a block of wood through the rear wheel and let it rotate against the swing arm, now you can torque the clutch hub just fine.
sorry, i've been bitten by too many mosquitoes tonight and am getting delirious. what old clutch and friction plates are you referring to? do you mean after i've pulled the clutch that i should drill the 1/4" holes and bolt them together so they stay lined up while re-installing them and torquing bolt?
Old 08-01-2010, 08:42 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by fred
sorry, I've been bitten by too many mosquitoes tonight and am getting delirious. what old clutch and friction plates are you referring to? do you mean after i've pulled the clutch that i should drill the 1/4" holes and bolt them together so they stay lined up while re-installing them and torquing bolt?
Only if your replacing those drive and driven plates........ It works to lock the clutch hub to the basket..... and leave you access to the hub nut. But so does the right tool, home made from simple scrap.
If you have some old clutch plats,,, your golden.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:35 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by fred
sorry, i've been bitten by too many mosquitoes tonight and am getting delirious. what old clutch and friction plates are you referring to? do you mean after i've pulled the clutch that i should drill the 1/4" holes and bolt them together so they stay lined up while re-installing them and torquing bolt?
Sorry sometimes I forget that most folk don't have a box of old bits from over the years lying around......
Old 08-02-2010, 06:18 PM
Mid-level Member
Superstock

fred
Originally Posted by E.Marquez
Only if your replacing those drive and driven plates........ It works to lock the clutch hub to the basket..... and leave you access to the hub nut. But so does the right tool, home made from simple scrap.
If you have some old clutch plats,,, your golden.
i get it. i suppose i'll have to make something because i don't have old clutch plates for this bike. i've got a scrap clutch from another bike, but i see you need the outer notches and inner to be the right shape and size. or maybe i'll inadvertently damage the clutch plates. and then i'll have the right shaped scrap!
Old 08-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Mid-level Member
Superstock

fred
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk

Attachment 9792
nice tool! i think i can make something vaguely correctly shaped, but i'll have to figure out how not to have it end up gouging the clutch center and outer. or there is the impact wrench...
Old 08-02-2010, 07:50 PM
I loves me twins
Superstock
Superstock

NooB is on a distinguished road
Sounds like you have a damn good reason to buy some pneumatic equipment!