Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Replacing oil cooler with cooling system type.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 05:16 PM
Superstock

Speed_Demon is an unknown quantity at this point
Replacing oil cooler with cooling system type.

I'm going to have to relocate my oil cooler to fit a front mounted radiator on my fighter project. Has anyone tried using a CBR929 or any other compatible oil filter mounted oil cooler?
Old 01-16-2006, 09:14 PM
Squid

Mithrandir
I haven't tried one. However, I couldn't imagine that it would be a great place to fit one on the VTR. The oil cooler is mounted much lower than those low-mount radiators noramlly sit. It would be extremely prone to getting holed.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:57 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by Mithrandir";p=&quot
I haven't tried one. However, I couldn't imagine that it would be a great place to fit one on the VTR. The oil cooler is mounted much lower than those low-mount radiators noramlly sit. It would be extremely prone to getting holed.
I don't think we're on the same page. Some cars and motorcycles use an oil coller that mounts between the oil filter and engine. The oil filter screws onto it. There is an inlet and outlet for engine coolant that cools the oil being pumped through it and the oil filter.

Old 01-16-2006, 11:57 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by Mithrandir";p=&quot
I don't think we're on the same page. Some cars and motorcycles use an oil coller that mounts between the oil filter and engine. The oil filter screws onto it. There is an inlet and outlet for engine coolant that cools the oil being pumped through it and the oil filter.

Old 01-17-2006, 03:10 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Not a bad idea! I've heard that the twins produce more heat and therefore need more cooling. That's why the VTR's have the air-oil one and not the water-oil one that's used on the CBR's and other bikes. I don't know for sure though, maybe it was just because of the space!

Jamie Daugherty
http://members.iquest.net/~daugherj
Old 01-17-2006, 04:12 PM
Superstock

I don't really know the difference as far as performance characteristics go yet so I'm really fishing for info. I know it will put a bit more strain on the liquid cooling system but for all I know it could only be a drop in the bucket. It would be really great to consolidate the oil cooler without having to get creative with relocation of the stock unit.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:52 PM
Superstock

After reading the oil cooler is responsible for 1/3 of the engines cooling I decided I shouldn't push my modified radiator (CBR600F without fan) any more than I have to. I've stuffed a big Mitsubishi Montero cooler behind my head pipe.

Name:  100_1189.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  78.6 KB