Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

2000 Superhawk cooling system question

Old 02-23-2010, 04:09 PM
Back Marker

steve29 is on a distinguished road
2000 Superhawk cooling system question

Hello. I just picked up my 2000 Hawk with 6400 miles on it. Upon getting it home and starting it up, it took about 10 minutes to get it to keep running. During that time, the needle on the coolant guage didn't move at all. Is that normal? Do these bikes take a while to warm up when its cold out? Do I need to actually ride it to get that needle moving? It concerns me that something may be wrong with the cooling system. Also, it backfires out of the exhaust occcasionally. Maybe because its an aftermarket system? Its a devil dual canister, high mount setup. I don't quite know what to think. Hope I didn't buy a lemon. Any suggestions as to what's going on here>
Old 02-23-2010, 05:07 PM
Squid

redmanmbz is on a distinguished road
Wow, you mean you didn't ride it home?

I've ridden mine in 25 degree weather, the gauge did move. Really didn't pay to close attention to how long it took to come up ( was worried about keeping me warm!).
You can do a search on this website about both issue's that you are concerned about and read others input about similar issue's and recommend solutions. I just recently purchased mine and it's a blast to drive! Does have a few minor issue's, will just have to work through those (with the help of this website/others).
Old 02-23-2010, 05:10 PM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
maybe steves in ny where you are and it's 100% snow fall! however, I dont think that short running time would be long enough for it to warm, form my experience in cold weather.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:15 PM
Squid

Hawkagain is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by steve29
it took about 10 minutes to get it to keep running. During that time, the needle on the coolant guage didn't move at all. Is that normal? >
It is a little hard to say since we don't know how much of the time it was actually running. I would expect the guage to move within 5 minutes of running. You should make sure the sender is plugged in (it's burried & under the tank) because it is used to determine the ignition timing.
SW
Old 02-24-2010, 07:25 PM
pragmatic anarchist
Superstock

peterpanic is on a distinguished road
I have a 2002 and have ridden in sub 40 degree weather this year. I have been surprised how hot the thing runs when in traffic even when it is pretty cold out. Not close to the 220 mark, but 190-195 easily after just slow going or a half mile of stop and go. Don't think lemon though, just figure out the problem and fix. Stuck thermostat? Anyone?