Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Coolant leak and running hot in cold weather?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 05:23 AM
Squid

mkimber is on a distinguished road
Coolant leak and running hot in cold weather?

My '04 Hawk has been concerning me lately with a coolant leak it's leaving in the garage. I haven't riden it in about a week and a half and it's leaving a small puddle of coolant under the overflow tube. I checked the resevior tank and it looks to be right at the fill line. It's been on a stand instead of the kickstand. Also, this fall it seems to run hot even though it's 50-70 degrees outside. This summer when it was 100, it would run the same temp. It's right around 210-215 regardless of the outside temp. When I finally get going on the highway, it'll drop down to around 180-190ish. The bike only has 6k miles. Someone has to have an idea for me. I've been wanting to ride it but don't want to overheat it.

Thanks, Matt
Old 12-21-2007, 05:36 AM
Back Marker

Tom Blum is on a distinguished road
I have found that when the overflow tube leaks, the coolant level, IN THE RADIATOR, gets low. This causes a big reduction in idle and low speed cooling.

In normal operation, when you turn off a hot engine, some boiling occurs, which forces some coolant into the reservoir. After the engind cools, the vapor condenses, causing a vacuum, which pulls the coolant back into the radiator.

To check, first, uncap the radiator and check coolant level there. It should be "full to the brim".

If it is low, replace the overflow tube. That's cheap and is the most likely culprit.

HTH

Tom
Old 12-21-2007, 05:50 AM
Squid

Ok, I'll check the radiator tonight. I doubt the tube needs replacing it looks fine. Maybe I wasn't clear, coolant is coming out the bottom of the tube which made me think the resevoir was overflowing. I don't think the tube is cracked or anything.

Thanks, Matt
Old 12-21-2007, 06:17 AM
Superstock

redman is on a distinguished road
You are clear. What Tom is saying is that if the tube from rad to overflow is cracked or has a tiny leak, when the rad is hot it passes fluid to the overflow tank but when it cools, there is no vaccuum and so the fluid never goes back into the radiator. A few cycles and you have less and less coolant in there even though the tank reads fine.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:06 PM
Squid

Ok, I checked the bike out tonight. The radiator is full and the tank is nearly to the upper line. The leak is coming from under the left side engine case. It's a very small leak but it looks like the seal is going bad. I tightened the bolts a little all the way around but I'm sure I'll have to replace that seal, if that's the fix, at some point. I did take the bike out tonight and it still ran around 200 even though it was 50ish outside. I guess the leak is okay for a while but I'm sure I'll have to fix it before next summer. It just seems strange for a seal to fail at only 6k miles. If the bike is running lean, could that make a big difference in slow traffic engine temps? I just doesn't seem right for it to run so hot in cold weather.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:20 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
200f is not over heating nor running hot. It's very rare to see owners with the original analog gauge concerned with "hot running".

I think you've all ready said but check your hose clamps. Assuming it's parked on the kickstand, the puddle on the left doesn't necessarily mean it's coming from the left side of the bike.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:59 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
Sounds like you need a new cap. There is a Toyota one that you can get at any hardware store if you want to save a little money. Get the one that matches and is rated ~18psi.

There is nothing remarkable about the Honda cap.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:16 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

supermarto is on a distinguished road
My '02 runs around 175-190f in 65 degree weather here in FLORIDA, and I am getting on it. I would say that 200 degrees in 50 degree weather is running a little hot, unless it is all stop and go traffic...
Old 12-22-2007, 01:31 PM
Squid

Maybe was I wasn't descriptive enough. The leak is coming from the engine. The left side outer case has a gasket and it's dripping from underneath. The radiator cap is fine, the hose clamps are all tight. Looks like I need a new gasket and have to pull the cover off. It'll have to wait untill the next oil change. Yeah, the bike does seem to run hot. I'm thinking it may be running a little bit lean.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:32 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Left side when you're sitting on it or when you standing in front of the bike looking at it?
Old 12-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Squid

Babelfish is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mkimber
Maybe was I wasn't descriptive enough. The leak is coming from the engine. The left side outer case has a gasket and it's dripping from underneath. The radiator cap is fine, the hose clamps are all tight. Looks like I need a new gasket and have to pull the cover off. It'll have to wait untill the next oil change. Yeah, the bike does seem to run hot. I'm thinking it may be running a little bit lean.
I don't get this. There is AFAIK no cover on the left side that carry any water. It's the alternator cover and sprocet cover and the engine case it self.
If you are talking about the cylinder/cylinder head it's a different matter.
What you describe could very well be a blown head gasket. BTDT. Look for muddy cooling water, exhaust smell and even smoke from the cooling tank right after a ride. Gets worse with high gas pressure (heavy throttle).
I could get the temp up and down like a jo jo due to hot exhaust comming into the water when heavy on the gas. Dropping quickly as the engine heat didn't actually heat the water, just hot gasses.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:49 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
According to my 1998 to 2001 shop manual, the water pump drain tube and the radiator reserve tank overflow tube openings are on the left side of the motor at the front near the oil cooler pipe and behind the chin fairing. Your 04 may be the same. Either tube could be the source of the coolant you found on the floor of the garage. I'd take off the chin fairing, identify the tubes, put something in them to block any flow and go for a ride. Park the bike over a clean spot on the garage floor and leave it overnight. Unplug each tube and see if there's coolant in it. It could be the water pump or it could be reserve tank related. It could be a temporary condition. If you see coolant on the floor even though the drain tube and overflow tube were blocked, it's probably caused by wicked elves or something expensive and mysterious.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:18 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I believe the thermostat housing is on the left side of the bike. Also, check the carb heating lines and that all of your hose clamps are snug.