Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Coerce Racing sprocket guard Vs OEM

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 12:24 AM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dpg23
As Mr. Marquez stated "to each his own". I ended-up using the stock guard, as I like how it supports the slave cylinder so much better and allows the use of the steel plate without looking out of place. Plus, the price was right...an afternoon in the shop? After all the cutting and grinding, I sandblasted mine and shot it with lacquer. Kinda gave it that sand-cast look. Hope you like it?
Artwork!
Old 07-08-2013, 04:48 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
As Mr. Marquez stated "to each his own". I ended-up using the stock guard, as I like how it supports the slave cylinder so much better and allows the use of the steel plate without looking out of place. Plus, the price was right...an afternoon in the shop? After all the cutting and grinding, I sandblasted mine and shot it with lacquer. Kinda gave it that sand-cast look. Hope you like it?
Nice
Old 07-08-2013, 01:56 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Very clean looking. I like it. Are you not running the chain guard, or did you just not have it on yet for the pictures?
Old 07-08-2013, 03:41 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
DPG23: If I send mine to you can you mod it just like yours?

PM me if this is an option! Yours looks amazing!!!

James
Old 07-08-2013, 04:00 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Actually i wouldn't need it sandblasted or painted, just cut...
Old 07-09-2013, 11:28 AM
Squid
Squid

dpg23 is on a distinguished road
bump

Please don't get me wrong...The 1st time I saw the Coerce guard, I wanted one! It's just by the time you get a new one on the bike it's a $100.00 bucks. That coupled with the fact there is so much more protection left for the slave cylinder's piston & seal, clutch rod and crankcase from the elements (dirtiest place on the bike), let alone a chain liberating itself of the daily round-e-round? this became the choice IMHO! Not to mention, with as much as I cut away I believe the lines fit well with the slave and cases and looks pretty trick? More importantly, my guess is it weights no more than the Coerce? If I recall, weight was the issue which started this thread, but I agree with E. M. it's really just an appearance mod. With that in mind here is a few more updated pic's.
Attached Thumbnails Coerce Racing sprocket guard Vs OEM-capture.jpg   Coerce Racing sprocket guard Vs OEM-guard2-005.jpg   Coerce Racing sprocket guard Vs OEM-guard2-012.jpg   Coerce Racing sprocket guard Vs OEM-guard2-014.jpg   Coerce Racing sprocket guard Vs OEM-guard2-020.jpg  

Old 07-09-2013, 12:03 PM
Squid
Squid

Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
Very clean looking. I like it. Are you not running the chain guard, or did you just not have it on yet for the pictures?
Wow guys....thanks for the kind words! I didn't realize there was a page two untill I just posted my bump? Duah??????

"Chain-guard??? We don't need no stinking chain-guard!!!!!" I have a bad habit of keeping my chain clean and lubed so it's not a problem. If it's good enough for GP...it's good enough for me! Another one of those "it's really just an appearance mod."

To answer James; yes- I will- and thanks!! Daryl.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:23 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Just did the dpg23 mod on my sprocket guard. 20 minutes with a hacksaw, then another 20 with the flap disc wheel on my grinder, and it was looking good!! Dropped it off at the powdercoaters early this week, should have it back pretty soon.

Cost: $30 for powder, $8 for new gaskets.

James
Old 01-18-2014, 06:26 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road

Guys, look at that head pipe. Does this Hawk get ridden (and beyond 1/4 throttle)?

Helluva job on that guard. I can't help but to wonder, it doesn't look like you have much slave protection in the case of a chain break. Probably just paranoia.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:15 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Protecting the slave cyl is the least of concerns.

And really breaking a chain is just failure on so many levels (and not talking about part failure) it is rare occurrence but when it does happen the case itself, the countershaft often get trashed in the event.

Sure some get lucky and the broken chain just threads itself off and elder behind the bike as you coast to a stop.... If that happens... Go buy a lottery ticket
Old 01-18-2014, 02:38 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

My friend had his lock up the rear tire on an off ramp!!!
Old 01-18-2014, 04:04 PM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
my mod
Attached Thumbnails Coerce Racing sprocket guard Vs OEM-picture-001.jpg  
Old 01-20-2014, 05:33 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Here is my finished product, really want to thank you guys for the inspiration. $38 later and it looks so much better... May have to do my rearsets later this year (and mask the heel guards to keep them shiny)...

James
Attached Thumbnails Coerce Racing sprocket guard Vs OEM-photo-1.jpg   Coerce Racing sprocket guard Vs OEM-photo-2.jpg   Coerce Racing sprocket guard Vs OEM-photo-3.jpg   Coerce Racing sprocket guard Vs OEM-photo-4.jpg   Coerce Racing sprocket guard Vs OEM-photo-5.jpg  

Old 01-20-2014, 05:34 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Two more...

James
Attached Thumbnails Coerce Racing sprocket guard Vs OEM-photo-1-1.jpg   Coerce Racing sprocket guard Vs OEM-photo-2-1.jpg  
Old 01-20-2014, 08:58 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Looks good James!
Old 01-20-2014, 11:39 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
I've seen it happen...

The guy was going full throttle down the straight at a local track... And he, like the rest of us just couldn't believe the fact that there wasn't a mark on the bike that we could find...

But, I don't expect to see it twice in my life...
Old 01-21-2014, 03:32 AM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
on an old 600 katana.
neglect really. i hated that bike from the start.
went through the crank case like a cut off wheel.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:40 PM
Squid
Squid

Originally Posted by Wolverine

Guys, look at that head pipe. Does this Hawk get ridden (and beyond 1/4 throttle)?

Helluva job on that guard. I can't help but to wonder, it doesn't look like you have much slave protection in the case of a chain break. Probably just paranoia.

Well, Wolverine....
Not sure if I should thank you or confront you? First you complement me...only to call me out in the same sentence. To start, suppositions and assumptions are only worth the intellect and /or points of view that create them!

First of all, ask ME if my bike gets ridden...not the GUY'S on this forum!
Secondly, the PROTECTION I considered and refer to is from the grime the back of the slave and it's seal @ the clutch-rod would receive w/ the Coerce setup.
Running the stock steel backing plate is only a little bonus! In 45 years riding, dirt and pavement, I have never experienced a chain failure.....
in fact it was the furthest thing from my mind! PARANOIA??? Others in this thread considered a chain failure...I merely commented to that as well!!!

So, Mr.W if for example... we view Mr. Deatons pipe (pic's-posted within this thread), can we derive from it...the fact he has NEVER EVEN STARTED his bike???
....Or is it just a ceramic coating that shows no heat reading... or maybe he just installed it...or he just polished it??????????????????????? I have been polishing my bikes header down w/600 grit and or steel-wool, (also MagicMix polish as i did w/ a ceramic header) at least once a season, to keep it from turning to ****...as we all know...it will.

Thank you for your concern, but...the Hawk gets ridden,and ridden well. My Race-Tec k-2's didn't get this way on their own. Much more BEYOND A 1/4 THROTTLE had a little sumpthin' to do with it............

Just the Facts Please!! You do a good job with this site...Keep up the good work.

D.
Attached Thumbnails Coerce Racing sprocket guard Vs OEM-mrs-027.jpg   Coerce Racing sprocket guard Vs OEM-mrs-034.jpg  

Last edited by dpg23; 08-08-2014 at 04:19 PM. Reason: spell correction
Old 08-08-2014, 05:41 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
D, 202 days... Life's too short to let something like that bother you that much. Brother, accept my apology and let's move on.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:25 AM
Squid
Squid

Arrow

Originally Posted by Wolverine
D, 202 days... Life's too short to let something like that bother you that much. Brother, accept my apology and let's move on.
W, No worries...apology accepted, I'm good, never was a big deal. Just setting the record straight.
I agree with you my friend, life is too short to let anything like that bother anybody that much!
Assumptions...here we go again..............have you not learned anything? To think I stewed over this for 202 days
is laughable! I read your post the night before last and responded yesterday morning. So...what maybe 12 hrs not 202 days......

Regardless, this site is meant to revolve around the bikes which we love, not you or I and this Chatty Cathy / PC bull...................
Here's to Moving on..............

And oh yeah... 1/2 the reason for this post, now that I am free of all this self absorption....
I wanted to congratulate James of the Deatons on his efforts with his sprocket guard.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:07 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Thanks! Maybe this winter i can powdercoat the rearsets and polish the shifter!

James
Old 08-10-2014, 12:34 AM
SuperSport

D, kinda scary. We like Wolverine please don't stalk/kill him. TIA
Old 08-10-2014, 04:32 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
I know how D feels, he obviously takes great pride in his bike like I do,

On many occasions when meeting people for the first time they rib me about how clean my bike is and ask wether I ride it much.

One of my greatest pleasures is to ride it like a sissy when we take off and then smoke them when the going gets a bit tough.

That usually shuts them up.

I have a coerce cover and keep it nice and clean all the time .

It's not hard to do. I am **** about my bike, and I have lost a chain years ago when the idiots who replaced my back tyre split the chain and put a joining link in, instead of a new rivet link. It was a well known bike shop in my home town and it cost them the sale of many new bikes over the years.

Once the owner asked me why I wouldn't buy a bike from him and as I'd known him for years and used to race Moto Cross with him I told him the truth.

I also told him that his shortcuts when he did my tyre cost him a lot of money.

I had a Z1R MK11 and it ruined the crankcase and cost me a lot of money and angst to rectify it that I couldn't really afford at the time.

Ever since then no one touches my bikes except me where chains are concerned.

Also it cost little to keep your bike clean and can also alert one to problems.

About to fit new chai, sprockets and Cush drive rubbers.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:19 PM
Squid
Squid

Originally Posted by jerryh
D, kinda scary. We like Wolverine please don't stalk/kill him. TIA
jerryh, scary?.....not @ all! The self absorption I was referring to, was my own.
Again...this whole deal was only attempting to simply make a point that so many of us can easily overlook from time to time.

I like Wolverine as well...he has graphic arts for us which are off-the-hook awesome, I have already complimented him in his efforts w/this forum as a moderator, what?..................I'm not trying to alienate anyone!

Thanks to kenmoore and his Quote; "I know how D feels, he obviously takes great pride in his bike like I do...On many occasions when meeting people for the first time they rib me about how clean my bike is and ask weather I ride it much"

Surely, he is not the only person that gets what I am attempting to say here? Really?

This pic is for him.....My (wish I still had) MKII
Attached Thumbnails Coerce Racing sprocket guard Vs OEM-mk11.jpg  
Old 08-16-2014, 12:45 AM
SuperSport

D, I remember those cool Kaws and always thought it would look awesome with a mini cafe fairing. Have to say I'm jealous of the way you and kenmoore maintain your machines
Old 08-16-2014, 01:52 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Ah, memories,

It went like stink and flexed like a bow, but boy it was fun.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:30 AM
Squid
Squid

Originally Posted by jerryh
D, I remember those cool Kaws and always thought it would look awesome with a mini cafe fairing. Have to say I'm jealous of the way you and kenmoore maintain your machines
Yeah brothers, those early Z's could be a handful and/or exciting ride! Loved um! An opportunity on my MKII @ an "INDICATED" 134mph

one afternoon had me in the middle of a tank-slapper that really packed a whollup... shew-wee!

Small wonder...eah? Ck the front "tread pattern" of that era tire in my pic, looks like a knobby by today's standards regarding rubber.

I can now see this thread is moving a bit off track. So in closing, thank you jerryh for your comment! We all enjoy appreciation, kenmoore and myself included.

Regarding maintenance which includes aesthetics to a somewhat higher degree...there are @ least three choices...

(1) Do it, because you love it..! (2) Do it, despite the fact you dislike it somewhat..? or (3) Fa-get-a-bout-it...bada boom bada bing!!!

Regards, D