Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Clutch Stiffness?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 05:17 AM
Squid

Ludicrous_Speed is on a distinguished road
Clutch Stiffness?

When I bought my 98 the clutch Res was empty. I topped it off and was near low after a 60 mile ride. I found some fluid ooozing from the bottom of the plunger plate where the hydraulic line connects to the engine case. I brought it back the shop as its under warranty. ANYWAYS.....

Ive had a 79 gs750 and a 1200 HD sportster (both cable clutch). This is by far the stiffest clutch. It caught me off guard as being Hydraulic I expected it to be the lightest of the 3. Im trying to cut down on wrist soreness. I imagine a leaking line would make the clutch LESS stiff? Can I expect any difference after this problem is fixed? Im afraid after fixing it could be more stiff. The bike has 16k miles so Im going to rebuild the clutch master cylinder assembly just because.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:02 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
The gs has less torque and hp... wimpier clutch by far... The sportster has torque, but runs out of revs where the VTR starts to pick up speed... Again far wimpier clutch...

End result... If you want a twin with gobs of torque and that revs like the VTR does... Then you get to exercise that clutch hand...
Old 11-28-2009, 08:17 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Most Sportsters I have ridden have stiffer clutches than our SH.. So a rebuild sounds in order to me.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:47 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
wrist soreness may be different that your hand getting a workout. in riding position, while covering the clutch check the angle of your forearm & wrist.

it should be straight. if your wrist is turned then rotate your clutch lever until it is.

tim
Old 11-28-2009, 09:36 AM
Brooks' Cycle Centre'
Back Marker

superchickencornermonster is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by trinc
wrist soreness may be different that your hand getting a workout. in riding position, while covering the clutch check the angle of your forearm & wrist.

it should be straight. if your wrist is turned then rotate your clutch lever until it is.

tim
This is excellent advice. More often than not, I find my customers complain about arm pump and they have a 90 degree angle at the wrist. Adjust the clutch so that when you are upright, your fingers are stretched out in a straight line. Also, try adjusting your cluth where you only have about a 1/8 inch of play before making contact. The less that you have to pull, the less work that you need to do. If you feel that it is still stiff, try and find a buddy with a Superhawk (or RC51 since they have the same clutch) and compare the two. If it's pretty bad, you more than likely don't need to rebuild the whole clutch, but only the slave cylinder on the left hand side of the engine. It's the round thing where you see your cable going in to. Just take it off, pop out the piston and clean out the inside with brake cleaner. Flush out the line and replace the O-ring in the clutch caliper. That should loosen it up pretty good. While you're in there, take out the shaft that runs through (it just pulls right out) and make sure that it is not bent or scorched or anything crazy like that. If you do all that and it still feels stiff to you, pull off the right side cover and inspect the springs and plates. If it still feels to hard to pull, then go to your local CVS and pick up some Tam-Pax.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:59 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Just to ad +1 to first off refurbishing the slave cylinder.

I had a slow leak and thought I sorted it with a new seal, but after a while the leak returned. On closer examination the cylinder was scored (originally grit or sumfink had got in) so with fine wet'n'dry and a polish I sorted it by giving it a mini-rebore!

Give the clutch a good bleed to 'tighten' the bite point (when bleedin' make sure you keep the resorvoir topped up as it's a smaller volume than brake res') and ride it often. Learn to do clutchless changes and it won't seem like pumping iron.

Tip 41) Squeeze a tennis ball in your hand whenever you have an extra few minutes to increase your hand strength.

Last edited by Wicky; 11-28-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:02 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by Wicky
Just to ad +1 to first off refurbishing the slave cylinder.

I had a slow leak and thought I sorted it with a new seal, but after a while the leak returned. On closer examination the cylinder was scored (originally grit or sumfink had got in) so with fine wet'n'dry and a polish I sorted it by giving it a mini-rebore!

Give the clutch a good bleed to 'tighten' the bite point (when bleedin' make sure you keep the resorvoir topped up as it's a smaller volume than brake res') and ride it often. Learn to do clutchless changes and it won't seem like pumping iron.

Tip 41) Squeeze a tennis ball in your hand whenever you have an extra few minutes to increase your hand strength.

I lift weights regularly but my job has given me carpo so I try to stay away from specific wrist excercises except for stretching.

The bike has 16k miles and minus the pipes it appears completely stock. The Clutch Cylinder rebuild is on a long list of maintenance planned for the winter. Wear items are top priority. Brakes, Lines, Chain, Sprockets. Already have CCTS and a Pair removal Kit. But I wont touch the PAIR until it shows a problem.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:06 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by superchickencornermonster
This is excellent advice. More often than not, I find my customers complain about arm pump and they have a 90 degree angle at the wrist. Adjust the clutch so that when you are upright, your fingers are stretched out in a straight line. Also, try adjusting your cluth where you only have about a 1/8 inch of play before making contact. The less that you have to pull, the less work that you need to do. If you feel that it is still stiff, try and find a buddy with a Superhawk (or RC51 since they have the same clutch) and compare the two. If it's pretty bad, you more than likely don't need to rebuild the whole clutch, but only the slave cylinder on the left hand side of the engine. It's the round thing where you see your cable going in to. Just take it off, pop out the piston and clean out the inside with brake cleaner. Flush out the line and replace the O-ring in the clutch caliper. That should loosen it up pretty good. While you're in there, take out the shaft that runs through (it just pulls right out) and make sure that it is not bent or scorched or anything crazy like that. If you do all that and it still feels stiff to you, pull off the right side cover and inspect the springs and plates. If it still feels to hard to pull, then go to your local CVS and pick up some Tam-Pax.
Minus the Tampax thanks. Going to rebuild the plunger, Cylinder, and replace the line. If that doesnt fix it then Ill deal with it. After the first ride I moved the levers to a more comfortable position. Im sure at some point Ill come across a hawk. Seems like theres plenty of riders in the new england area. I love my bike. Just something I noticed firsthand comparing to my other 2.