Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Clutch Slip

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 09:40 AM
Squid

rideawn is on a distinguished road
Clutch Slip

'98 had 4040 miles on it when I bought it about a month ago. It had been sitting for awhile. The previous owner, first owner, did not ride it hard at all so I'm pretty sure he did not fry the clutch in 4040 miles. Can the clutch plates get build up from sitting which would cause slip? If so, are there any easy remedies to improve or correct this? Oil has been changed twice since my purchase.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:30 AM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Did you try flushing the lines and putting in new fluid?
Old 05-02-2007, 02:02 PM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
What kinda oil you got in there?
Old 05-02-2007, 02:42 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Yep, I would tend to think it's the oil too. If the previous owner used car oil (especially the "energy conservation" type with friction modifiers), there is a good chance it is the root cause of your slippage.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:20 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
My VFR is older than your Superhawk and it had only 2900 miles on it. Same ****. You could stand on the shifter and it would not go into low. Once you got it there you had five forward gears and no hint that there was a sixth. After warming it up good one night right after I bought it, I changed to the same oil that I run in my Superhawk. Low got easier and best of all sixth gear emerged from the fog. I just changed the oil for the second time the other night and have further improvement in low - almost never a strain usually just drops right in. First to second is just a slide-in fit and the problem with sixth has been gone for months. I am reluctant to reduce your question to an "oil" thread but I too would change the oil.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:52 PM
SuperSport

AZZKIKER is an unknown quantity at this point
Change the oil to Shell Rotella and bleed the clutch. Should be good to go. Superhawk clutches are super strong.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:11 PM
Superstock

Speed_Demon is an unknown quantity at this point
I doubt the clutch plates are worn out so yeah its probably an oil additive or maybe the previous owner glazed the plates and in that case they will scuff with use. Make sure you use DOT4 fluid and bleed them very well because otherwise when they get hot they can act really funny.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:14 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by AZZKIKER
Change the oil to Shell Rotella and bleed the clutch. Should be good to go. Superhawk clutches are super strong.
OK you did it not me but +1
Old 05-02-2007, 05:15 PM
Superstock

Speed_Demon is an unknown quantity at this point
I replaced my clutch at 15.5k after a year of heavy drag racing. The steels were blue from overheating but I still had more than half left on the fibers. The superhawk has a very good clutch. Heavy clutch springs are cheap and I highly recommend them.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:37 PM
MotoGP

When you have lungs like a Superhawk you better have a clutch and transmission like a Superhawk. When you get this unit gunked up it takes a while and some good **** to get it working again. Be patient and change your oil a couple times. I'm sorry now that I waited 2k miles to change mine in the Interceptor. When I dumped it the first time, I should have run it 5 hundred or 8 and dumped it again. Be confident - it's a Honda - it's the easiest beast in the world to not complain about being ignored. That's why I bought my VFR. The guys that were selling it couldn't believe my attitude, "Even you guys, couldn't **** this up!" It was the girlfriend's bike and these guys hadn't even given the bike a wash. They just drove it. Until it quit. (Dead battery - no water) and it wanted to fall over when you tried to steer. (0 air pressure in the front tire) I show up - tell them they have hopelessly fucked up the motorcycle and steal it from them. Business is business and morons are down at the corner store buying crack. I think changing the lubricants and ALL other fluids would be the order of the game. This bike is just barely broke in. Take care of it - bring her back gently and it will be the ride of your life once she wakes up!
Old 05-02-2007, 07:18 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
I too bet it's an oil issue but another thought: a sticking slave piston. I just saw that in another thread and/or forum for a bike that's been sitting.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:27 AM
Squid

Thanks for all the input! Oil has been changed 2x now, getting close to the third; also clutch fluid has been bled and renewed. All and all I think the verdict is it is getting better. Really liking this bike a whole lot. Also, not having any pet peeves with it yet which is usually my down fall with bikes.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:47 AM
Squid

TommyboyinMI is on a distinguished road
Good to hear that the beast seems to be running better. I would also remove the clutch lever and clean and lube the friction and bushing areas. My 98 had a bunch of built up permagunk hindering the operation of the lever...it felt like a sticking slave or master cylinder. Just another thing to check.
T
Old 05-23-2007, 10:49 AM
Squid

Will def check that. Thanks.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:39 PM
Superstock

RPV-Hawk is on a distinguished road
I haven't experienced this, but I have heard that if If the bike has been sitting for a long time, the friction plates can swell as they absorb water (that can build up in the crankcase from condensation) and oil.

Some decent use (or abuse) should heat up the oil and clutch plates and evaporate the water out. After that the friction material should return to nearly normal.

Again, just what I have heard/read, never experienced, so may be an urban legend.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:29 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
No, it's possible. I had the same thing happen on a CB650. But even after some use it didn't get any better. That was a 1981 and I think the friction material they use is better now. I would ride it around a bit and see if it improves (if this really is the problem). Getting the oil real hot will help a lot. Some good Friday rush hour, stop-and-go traffic will probably help things.