Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

clip ons

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 06:09 PM
SuperSport

twist is on a distinguished road
clip ons

I've been keeping a look out for a pair of VFR 800 bars to replace the stock bars. I managed to land a set of Hawk bars, free. The bars fit 41mm forks, has anyone used these before me? Any trimming to do to the fairing?
Old 05-13-2014, 06:37 PM
Back Marker

rick is on a distinguished road
I have 4th gen vfr, 5th gen vfr, hawk gt and super-hawk along with a few other bikes and have tried different bars. The hawk bars are very tall and I think you will have clearance issues with the fairings. I tried the hawk bars on the VTR a while ago and remember it did not work. Don't remember if it did not work for the angle I wanted or it did not work period.
Anyways try it. Only takes a few minutes. You don't need to swap the cable, grips switch housing etc to test fit for clearance.

You will most likely have to grind off the locating tabs under the hawk bars( don't remember if the hawk bars had locating tabs cast on it, or used an allen head bolt like some of the other Honda's of that time.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:47 AM
Superstock

FTL900 is on a distinguished road
I took the stock bars off of my 5th gen 2000 VFR800 and mounted them on my SH. There are minor fairing clearance issues, but nothing that can't be managed.

I shimmed the fairing up a tad at the mirror mount points, between the brace and the fairing. I tried to nudge the brace up a bit by inserting something large into the end holes, but I don't think I actually had any effect on it. Then I adjusted the bars back and forth until I found what worked best as far as fairing clearance versus not hitting the tank.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:05 AM
SuperSport

twist is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by FTL900
I took the stock bars off of my 5th gen 2000 VFR800 and mounted them on my SH. There are minor fairing clearance issues, but nothing that can't be managed.

I shimmed the fairing up a tad at the mirror mount points, between the brace and the fairing. I tried to nudge the brace up a bit by inserting something large into the end holes, but I don't think I actually had any effect on it. Then I adjusted the bars back and forth until I found what worked best as far as fairing clearance versus not hitting the tank.
thanks! I want a more upright position but I don't want to trim my fairing. Didn't think of shimming.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:12 PM
Superstock

FTL900 is on a distinguished road
I got the idea off another forum, and it helps a bit, not much. I only added about 1/4 inch or less under the fairing, cut from a small plastic piece used to smooth bondo. My bars still contact the fairing at full lock, but just lightly, and they barely clear the tank at full lock, but they do.

The VFR bars made a good bit of difference in riding position and comfort. And since VFR guys are always looking to upgrade to taller bars, I would think you could score some at a decent price, maybe over on theVFR World forum.

Good luck!
Old 05-15-2014, 02:39 PM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
If you want to keep the look of the stock bike without any fairing clearance issues and are only looking to take a bit of strain of the wrists. I recommend the later model (2001 upwards) VTR clip ons. These are painted Black and are raised 15.6mm with a 7 degree more upward angle. Standard brake lines and throttle cables can be used too. A combination of them and a HRC throttle tube sorted things out for me, much more comfy.

(:-})