Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

clip-ons

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 05:34 AM
Squid

beckster is on a distinguished road
Exclamation clip-ons

Hi,can anyone tell me what the best solution is for clip-ons for the 929 fireblade front end conversion?
Old 09-11-2006, 06:34 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
I mounted Heli bars under the upper triple and made the top of the forks flush. The tallest Heli bars that'll work are for the TL1000.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:56 AM
Squid

Cheers,suppose if i just do a google for helibars i should come up with somthing.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:14 AM
Superstock

Lefin102 is on a distinguished road
I have the Heli bars on my bike but want to try the converti bars. check them out also.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:24 AM
Squid

well if you are looking to sell your heli kit soon let me know 'cause the prices just scared the **** clean out of me!!!!!
Old 09-11-2006, 08:42 AM
Superstock

Lefin102 is on a distinguished road
Let me think about it. You will also need the longer brake hoses, I have Spiegler"s
Old 09-11-2006, 09:04 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
If you are willing to use a tubular handlebar, I found these risers from freestyle ingenuity. They don't look too sexy, but, apart from making risers myself like Kai Ju did, they're the cheapest solution to the problem I have come up with. Bike Bandit has them for $90.00.

http://www.freestyleingenuity.com/si...d=12&Itemid=23
Old 09-11-2006, 09:08 AM
SuperBike

EngineNoO9 is an unknown quantity at this point
is it possible to have the clip ons slightly lower then stock without having clearance issues? When i finally do a gsxr1000 front end swap - since it'll be a track/weekend ***** i figure dropping the fronts down a little might be nice...
Old 09-11-2006, 10:07 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by beckster
well if you are looking to sell your heli kit soon let me know 'cause the prices just scared the **** clean out of me!!!!!
Keep an eye on ebay, I got mine for about $90 I think and they reduce vibes as a side benefit. Another member machined the triple and the clip-on to make it clear.

Originally Posted by EngineNoO9
is it possible to have the clip ons slightly lower then stock without having clearance issues? When i finally do a gsxr1000 front end swap - since it'll be a track/weekend ***** i figure dropping the fronts down a little might be nice...
My clip-ons are just clearing my fairing, so yes it can be lower. Just remeber that the forks are shorter so you won't have to have any of the forks exposed, it'll already be quicker steering,(if you were thinking of doing that as well). I'm actually thinking about cutting into my track plastic to put regular clip-ons on because I'd hate to have to replace those Heli-bars.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:34 AM
SuperBike

EngineNoO9 is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah I know. I just want the lower position for better body position since it won't be used a lot on the street. That's kind've the conclusion I'm coming to with the superhawk. being at 23k it just seems to take so much abuse on longer outtings and daily commuting so keeping it running for weekends and track days should work out better I think... That is of course until i get a second bike too. heh
Old 11-10-2006, 04:59 PM
Squid

thehandyman is on a distinguished road
I paid full price for my helibars. Would do it again in a sec. Best money ever spent.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:12 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by superhawk22
Keep an eye on ebay, I got mine for about $90 I think and they reduce vibes as a side benefit. Another member machined the triple and the clip-on to make it clear.

My clip-ons are just clearing my fairing, so yes it can be lower. Just remeber that the forks are shorter so you won't have to have any of the forks exposed, it'll already be quicker steering,(if you were thinking of doing that as well). I'm actually thinking about cutting into my track plastic to put regular clip-ons on because I'd hate to have to replace those Heli-bars.

Damn was that you that just grabbed those 954 helis? I missed them I was friggin working as usual...if not then they were another pair that also went for @ $90 as well.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:53 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by captainchaos
Damn was that you that just grabbed those 954 helis? I missed them I was friggin working as usual...if not then they were another pair that also went for @ $90 as well.
Nope, I don't think so anyway, I've had mine for about a year now.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:41 AM
Squid

vtromey
Originally Posted by beckster
Hi,can anyone tell me what the best solution is for clip-ons for the 929 fireblade front end conversion?
here ya go:

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ighlight=bingo
Old 11-15-2006, 07:10 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Great thread VTROMEY! I printed the whole dam thing! Excellent with all the pictures. Truly a great mod for the VTR. One question though - do you think the shorter forks help with "turn in" to the corners. Some mention of this was in the thread. One thing that I have been trying really hard to do with my riding is to get on top of my corners better. I do too much "running wide" and am trying to find a better solution. New front tire helped but not much. I've tried changing my speed, shifting my riding position - nothing has really made a big difference. It's like I can't push it in there as quickly as I want to. I don't know if it's me, the bike or both!
Old 11-16-2006, 07:37 AM
Squid

vtromey
Originally Posted by nuhawk
Great thread VTROMEY! I printed the whole dam thing! Excellent with all the pictures. Truly a great mod for the VTR. One question though - do you think the shorter forks help with "turn in" to the corners. Some mention of this was in the thread. One thing that I have been trying really hard to do with my riding is to get on top of my corners better. I do too much "running wide" and am trying to find a better solution. New front tire helped but not much. I've tried changing my speed, shifting my riding position - nothing has really made a big difference. It's like I can't push it in there as quickly as I want to. I don't know if it's me, the bike or both!
thanks nuhawk, it was fun doing the research (but bigger thanks goes out to my mechanic offcourse). anyway, with regards to your question, and i'm no gear head nor am i a big track dude, but what i can definitely tell is that the bike does turn sharper with the new set up. or should i say, more "firmly" or more "sure footed", "solid"? one big difference is i actually could feel the old forks twist when the bike was pushed whereas the beefier 929's front end is just pure solid input. maybe you need to beef up the suspension and make it more compliant? i am using stock 929 internals but i'd bet some racetechs in there and a penske shock would further improve its handling. have you done the mod already?? the front end is a tad, just a tad, shorter so technically quicker steering response. (i have added other threads on my thread that talks about similar upgrades and i think you'll find more info there too. good luck!)

oh yeah, and since getting the new front end and getting sticky tires i've been able to push the bike harder on ramps with more confidence (and i've worn the chicken strips off, lol!, BUT i keep scrapping my toes first even before i touch my knee down (cuz i've been trying to scuff my pucks!he he). does anyone else with the same front end experience the same thing? i've tried different body positions and i'm almost convinced that the stock pegs are just positioned a little low and maybe new rearsets will fix the problem? (or that slight change in fork length has lowered the bike ever so slightly? or do i need to stiffen the suspension, maybe raise the back end a touch? even a slightly taller 190 tire might do the trick?)

any insight on this would be appreciated.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:04 AM
MotoGP

I have rear sets and I still drag my toe IF I'm in the wrong posistion. Make sure that before you enter the corner your toes are on the foot peg. Not the ***** of your feet but the toes, you've got to keep them high or they drag. If you want to drag a knee I say do a track day, you can do it on the street but I don't recommend it, just too many things to go wrong. Just my .02
Old 11-16-2006, 08:35 AM
Squid

vtromey
I have rear sets and I still drag my toe IF I'm in the wrong posistion. Make sure that before you enter the corner your toes are on the foot peg. Not the ***** of your feet but the toes, you've got to keep them high or they drag. If you want to drag a knee I say do a track day, you can do it on the street but I don't recommend it, just too many things to go wrong. Just my .02

dang your quick SH22! i hear ya on the street, guess i've been doin it on very familiar ramps near where i live that i'm comfortable with and low siding would take me to the dirt/grass, worse comes to worse, but i totally need to hit the track!! i know i'm smarter than that!

the other thing i almost forgot to mention was that even tho my suit is 4 years old, this summer was the first where i've been stretching the legs out and it does feel that my suit wont allow me to extend that much more. i tried with jeans (i know, dumb!!) and it felt free'er and i was able to go lower but i still hit my toes first. guess i'll have to try creeping my toes further up the peg, and i think i am on the *****, but i get the best input and grip on the peg that way, .. . . practice i guess! sadly i have to wait till next year

so, to be more specific, which toes are you exactly on? under the 2nd/3rd? or closer to 4th/5th(pinky) toes?? guess i'm just under big toe/2nd and closer to ball of my foot . . .
Old 11-16-2006, 08:41 AM
Back Marker

iscoot is on a distinguished road
cornering

i trail the rear brake more often on the VTR. this settles the bike into a more stable geometry and allows you to get right on the throttle and utilize the low end grunt which the VTR is known for.

in other words, by trailing the rear, you can use more rear suspension and
maintain higher speeds.

i have a CBR1000 front end which primed for a front end switch very soon.
already have on Ohlins on the rear.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:55 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by vtromey
dang your quick SH22! i hear ya on the street, guess i've been doin it on very familiar ramps near where i live that i'm comfortable with and low siding would take me to the dirt/grass, worse comes to worse, but i totally need to hit the track!! i know i'm smarter than that!

the other thing i almost forgot to mention was that even tho my suit is 4 years old, this summer was the first where i've been stretching the legs out and it does feel that my suit wont allow me to extend that much more. i tried with jeans (i know, dumb!!) and it felt free'er and i was able to go lower but i still hit my toes first. guess i'll have to try creeping my toes further up the peg, and i think i am on the *****, but i get the best input and grip on the peg that way, .. . . practice i guess! sadly i have to wait till next year

so, to be more specific, which toes are you exactly on? under the 2nd/3rd? or closer to 4th/5th(pinky) toes?? guess i'm just under big toe/2nd and closer to ball of my foot . . .
Don't really know about that, just keep the foot straight on the inside foot and as close to the toes as you can with out fear of them falling off. Usually inbetween the ball of the foot and the toes and depending on where the weight is needed. My outside foot isn't quite in the right spot here but close so you get an idea. Notice the picture is pre front end mod totally stock suspension and I was dragging a knee and I'm SHORT so it is something that is very possible to do. That was my 1st ever track day too, man have things changed.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:26 AM
Squid

vtromey
Don't really know about that, just keep the foot straight on the inside foot and as close to the toes as you can with out fear of them falling off. Usually inbetween the ball of the foot and the toes and depending on where the weight is needed. My outside foot isn't quite in the right spot here but close so you get an idea. Notice the picture is pre front end mod totally stock suspension and I was dragging a knee and I'm SHORT so it is something that is very possible to do. That was my 1st ever track day too, man have things changed.
nice shot! hmm, so if your short, that means shorter tibia/femur = even more lean angle to touch down! lol! wow! my feet are pretty much as you have shown/described it in the pic. it's puzzling, which is why i keep resulting back to overall height of the bike including suspension, and it's maybe an inch or even less that i need! lol!
i'm almost just tempted to get a 190/60 to bring the rear up a tad and i know it'll fix the problem (handling, another story), but not till i'm sure i've corrected my ergos/positioning (heck, if i took out my toe sliders off it'll clear for sure! ha ha). always a pleasure to get tips from you sh22! we shall see next season. cheers!

oh and Beckster, sooo sorry for jackin your thread!
Old 11-16-2006, 10:38 AM
MotoGP

Thanks, maybe you just need to get off the bike a little more then. In this picture you can see I still have a lot more lean to go before the toe hits.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:51 AM
Squid

vtromey
Thanks, maybe you just need to get off the bike a little more then. In this picture you can see I still have a lot more lean to go before the toe hits.

now that's the shot i was looking for! nice! have you got a stiffer suspension set up? i know the real solution still lies in me first before i start changing things. dang, now i'm getting stoked and i can't even ride anymore! grrrr.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:19 AM
MotoGP

Stock GSXR 1000 internals and an aftermarket shock but I could do the same thing on the stock stuff just didn't feel as planted. You could always come down here to do a track day, sometimes you find a real bargin. I'm going back to the track Dec. 3rd for $65!!! Can't wait.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:34 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I think you need to get a new rear shock with ride height adjustment. Alternatively, you can shim the upper shock mount to get you more ride height. See my site for the drawing.

Drag on the street...with JEANS!?!?!?! A bunch of friends of mine were out riding one day. One of them swapped bikes with another, trying out the other guy's 954RR. Going through a left hander he inadvertantly drug a knee. He was wearing jeans, sweatpants, and another set of jeans. It was cold that day. The pavement caught his knee and forced it into the ground. It took about 5 feet to do this. At 90mph, that oh...about .1 seconds? Anyway, we filmed the whole thing, and afterwards we could see the different colors of remnants in the pavement- blue jeans, white sweatpants, black jeans, skin....

From there on out his forum name was "Skindragger". So, the moral of this story? Highly NOT recommended to try dragging a knee in jeans.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:43 PM
MotoGP

Even with leathers it's kinda scary if you don't get the puck on the pavement. I had a puck fly off, (just broke away from the glue), put my knee down and it almost pulled me off the bike!
Old 11-17-2006, 07:58 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I hear the jeans thing, Greg, but I'm feeling a lot better in the corners after getting my knee/shin protectors that Cptn. Chaos & I were talking about a couple weeks ago. I got cheap ones to start - the knee cups are too big but they really do help when I'm out on short trips from the office in city traffic. I've been using them for about a week. If I get spit out on the asphalt sure the bike gets hurt but I'm not. I can get up and be pissed at the AW who spilled the gravel.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:30 AM
Superstock

pigwings
Thumbs up Helibars

Originally Posted by thehandyman
I paid full price for my helibars. Would do it again in a sec. Best money ever spent.
Me to. had back problems with stock, but none with the Heli's.