Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Chokeless in Seattle

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 05:06 PM
Superstock
Superstock

wyldryce is on a distinguished road
Chokeless in Seattle

So, I have the new tires on the S-Hawk and am enjoying the fruits of my labor on the TPS adjustment an getting the carb spic-n'-span. It runs like a freakin' top and I am pretty happy. I will be doing a comparo with my old TLS soon, after I get a few hundred miles under my belt. First things first though...

The first time I went through the carbs, I didn't pay any attention to the choke ports where the plunger/needles go. So when I fired it up, choke made no difference. So I thought that was my issue, and thoroughly cleaned them when I went back in for the second time. The problem is, the choke still gives me no fast idle in the morning. Best way to start it (on the mild mornings we've had here over the past week) is to just thumb the starter, and she fires off, runs for a second and then dies. A second stab at the button and just the slightest bit of throttle will coax it to life, where i can give it a little more throttle and run it at 3k for about 15 seconds. Then it's fine. Its almost like the jetting is rich enough on the bottom now, that the choke is too rich. Its a factory pro jet kit, and I'm afraid I didn't make note of the jetting when I was in there. Sorry Is this something anybody else has experienced? I am not too worried about getting it fired up in mild weather, but worry that some night I may be out in the boonies and the temp drops while I am in having dinner somewhere, and I cant get it fired when I come back out.

Thoughts?

-Ross
Old 05-11-2007, 12:51 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Mine has started like that in the summer (2 tries, no choke) ever since I jetted it. I use the stock pilots and have mixture screws 2.1 turns out. I think it's normal. I generally use the choke on days when I haven't started her in a week or more, or unusually cold mornings.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:14 AM
Superstock
Superstock

Cool.

That's good to hear, but I think i have pulled another boneheaded Rookie SH owner move. When I went through the carbs, I pulled all the jets, cleaned everything thoroughly (let the jets all soak overnight too) and put it back together. Didn't realize that the jetting is different front to rear. Doh!
Looks like I get to pull the carbs once again. (Though it really is running well) Argh!!! I am getting WAY more proficient and doing the carbs than I want to be.

-R
Old 05-11-2007, 10:13 AM
Superstock

Scumbag is an unknown quantity at this point
seriously Ross

if it weren't for situations like yours I would have never learned to work on motorcycles...haah

good luck swapping the jets!
Old 05-11-2007, 12:05 PM
Superstock
Superstock

Yeah. I have lots of experience jetting... but I usually can make my carbs nice and accessible on my previous bikes. The VTR is not hard, just a pain. Honestly its the freaking gas tank lines going on and off that requires me to be contortionist. My ZX-11d is a much bigger pain in the *** to play around with the carbs with though.

-R
Old 05-11-2007, 12:51 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
My VTR's (stock and jetted) have never been "rever's" while on choke. Some of my other bikes would take off to 3k rpm or higher if left on choke too long.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:58 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by wyldryce
The VTR is not hard, just a pain. Honestly its the freaking gas tank lines going on and off that requires me to be contortionist. My ZX-11d is a much bigger pain in the *** to play around with the carbs with though.-R
Getting that left line on/off is the bitch for me.

I've said it before on this forum but when it comes to carb removal nothing holds a candle to the CBX with stock airbox. You have to drop the motor from it's front mounts and to do that you have to remove the stock pipes (6-2 stockers weigh about a bazillion pounds). Figure 1/2 a day if you know what your doing. Racers/modders/hot rodders quickly added bare K&N filters without airbox. Then it's a piece of cake (no motor drop required).
Old 05-11-2007, 01:09 PM
Superstock
Superstock

Originally Posted by superbling
Getting that left line on/off is the bitch for me.

I've said it before on this forum but when it comes to carb removal nothing holds a candle to the CBX with stock airbox. You have to drop the motor from it's front mounts and to do that you have to remove the stock pipes (6-2 stockers weigh about a bazillion pounds). Figure 1/2 a day if you know what your doing. Racers/modders/hot rodders quickly added bare K&N filters without airbox. Then it's a piece of cake (no motor drop required).
Yeah, that sounds like no fun at all. I did a buddies 91' concours with 55k on it about a month ago. Previous owner had torn the center two diaphragms and it ran like poo. Those boots were so hard, and the airbox doesn't move. It took an awful lot of mechanical "persuasion" to get em out. Back in wasn't as bad, after I softened up the rock hard boots with a liberal douching of carb cleaner. I could go the rest of my life not having to do carbs on another Connie, and be a happy man.

-R