Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Chain Lube

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 08:43 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Hmm, so I was thinking, I know wow....

wonder why you couldn't take a cheap plastic bottle of baby wipes, pop the top for a few days/a week or so, let them completly dry out....then pour in what ever weight oil you want, let it coat the wipes...then you can take it on a trip, use a few on the chain, no mess, easy, won't take up much space...

Just a thought....
Old 03-13-2007, 11:19 AM
Squid

Autarkic is on a distinguished road
I would think that the detergents in the baby wipes that would remain after evaporation may be a detriment to the viscosity of the gear oil. They sell the dispensers separately and a better source of non-woven interleaved sheets would probably be dryer sheets.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:20 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by GrayHawk
On the Scottoiler, do you recommend the the Universal or High Temperature Kit for Mississippi? Ambient temperature range is from 68-122 degree Farenheit for the high temp version. Daily averages for that area are a low of 31 for January and 91 for July. I know temps can reach about 100 F on hot days during summer months.

Regards,
Mike

I bought mine before the the "universal" came about. Back then there was only one choice - what is now the High Temp kit. I never had any problems with the thicker oil. I think they must've redesigned the valve because I have mine throttled pretty much all the way shut just to get the 1 drop/minute that I like. I have to use the thicker "high temp" oil now too. Just ordered some a few months ago. I'm about 1/2 done with the routing and mounting of the new lines that I bought. It's starting to finally warm up around here so I will be working on the bikes more. It was almost 60 today and I drove the GTO for the first time in about 4 months!!
Old 07-20-2010, 11:05 AM
Squid

amhsraptor is on a distinguished road
So after reading this thread I notice a lot of people recommend the Wax Lubricant. But I was curious if anyone has experimented with grease lubricant like "White Lightning" or "White Grease"? If so why is it not preferred?