Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Carbs Torn Apart and lost

Old 08-15-2010, 06:34 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

5150 is on a distinguished road
Carbs Torn Apart and lost

Ok so i finally gave in and ripped them out.

apperently some one did remove the pair and emissions stuff. but

i have a couple question.

1 i noticed i have no breather tube or over flow tube to the bottem of my tank. just nipples off the tank, no hoses for them.

2 vacum line off pet **** open nets me gas all over my drive way. so vad petcock right?

3. i started the bike and pulled the vacum line so i could run the gas out of the bowls before i pulled the carbs. and wtf the bike started running alot better. why would that be? i put my finger over the hose and it started running super rough again.

4. the carb furtherst to the front has a 185 jet in it and the one towards the back has a 190. i have not seen any one else say on the forums they run such number. why might mine be so high? i do have yosh slip ons. all this from the last owner and i do belive the slows are 50. forgot to write it down before i came to use the comp.

5. everything is super freaking clean as far as i can see. i only pulled them apart as far as i have said. i did not pull the vacum and the neddle jet in there.

idk. im at a loss. but it it starting to seem more like a vacum issue that maybe some one did a bad job on blocking off the pairs.

any ideas?

Old 08-15-2010, 06:38 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
It has a jet kit in it. How it was set up, well that's a good question.
Don't have time to do a complete write up right now but will try to help you out later if no one else chimes in.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:52 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk View Post
It has a jet kit in it. How it was set up, well that's a good question.
Don't have time to do a complete write up right now but will try to help you out later if no one else chimes in.

Ok well if that is a normal thing to have in it, then im headed home to put it back together. Thank you for the comment.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:24 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

Originally Posted by RK1 View Post
Which air filter?

pshhh idk, i didnt look at that. =P lol

But here is the outcome.

fixed my trucks radiator testerday and felt brave and ripped out the carbs. i didnt have a service manual with me so i just did whatever it took to take them out. lol

lol i didnt take the choke off of each carb i just pulled the whole assembly in tact with the carbs.

cracked the float bowls. and there was a bit of debri in there. idk something like white sand or tiny rocks.

cleaned it all out sprayed it down. ended up putting the bike back together by flash light way after dark.

idk, something magic must have happen with the moon beams and flashlights cause the bike doest die any more at lights, no stumble or super super minor. roll on is pretty nice. bike does sound different now though. not as loud. it idles around 1200 to 1500 pretty steady. choke isnt needed any more to start the bike.

I wish i could say im some kinda know something mechanic, but i have no idea what it could have been. the jets were all clean when i pulled them. i still have no breather tube or overflow tube on the tank.

but took her out for 50 miles last night and was pretty happy.

now i know the bike could run alot better per some of your post about how much power the bike has or should have. mine is pretty crazy right now. i ride her mostly on 1/4 th throttle and she has plenty. 1st gear to about 25 to 40 mph and then 2nd gear to idk know where maybe 80mph and then on to third when i am full rolling it on is semi freaking scarry.

if the bike could be more powerfull then this im in no hurry to push it to its max. idk it has plenty for me for now.

thanks every one for the help.

whatever gremlin was in my bike moved out or has went to sleep for a while. i guess time will tell for sure.

And thanks RK1 and Auto Teach for all the advice.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:08 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

Originally Posted by RK1 View Post
My thoughts;

The previous owner of your bike probably couldn't tell the difference between his *** and his elbow.

Hard to tell how much without bothering to determine the air filer, but in any case your main jets are one or two sizes too large.

Having 'debris" and "small rocks" (WTF!) in the float bowls a week after cleaning-flushing out the carbs? Probably time to wash-flush out the fuel tank and rebuild the petcock.
LOL yeah man i agree. for now i want t get a few miles in before it gets to cold for night rides for me after work. Fork fix is next. left side seal is blown it looks like.

and on the airfilter i will pull the tank again this sunday and look. but i belive it was a red one with light black mesh over it. snapped in very nice. outside was a very nice soft rubber. but i really do not recall seeing any logos on it or markings. but then again i wasnt really looking.