General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Torn - what to do

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 06:55 AM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Torn - what to do

Well my heart is struggling, after a life long dedication to Honda i have swayed over the past couple of years.

First we picked up a sweet SV650S for her and i find myself riding it more than the SuperHawk as it is just too much fun.

Second i converted my Full time CRF450R dirt bike to a part time summer Street legal Supermoto and talk about fun factor times 10.

Needless to say the old superHawk has taken yet another back seat.

Now i have went off the deep end and bought my first bike for me in 6 years (wifes doesn't count) and being that i wanted it to be a v-twin and a Supermoto style bike i had to leave the tried and true Honda only loyalty.

So i picked up a used KTM 950 SM last week and now i am struggling with keeping the SuperHawk or not.

I have yet to get time to take pics, but the KTM looks similar to this one.
http://media.photobucket.com/image/k...ure096.jpg?o=6

And may be the long term replacement for this one or a long term stable mate.
Name:  DSCF0032.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  138.1 KB
Old 06-24-2009, 07:13 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
If you're not riding the VTR and you're more drawn to other motorcycles in your stable, why not sell the VTR to someone who is worthy so he or she can enjoy it? It's not a matter of betrayal. It will always have a place in your heart.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:16 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
I agree, the worst thing you can do to any ride is let it sit and rot away.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:19 AM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Unfortunately, selling the SH means taking a financial hit. The VTR market is flush with decent examples, so even fine ones like yours above go for surprisingly low prices.

That KTM has gotta be a blast, eh?
Old 06-24-2009, 07:27 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Thumper, congrats on the KTM. It looks very sweet and that SH looks real nice too, so you shouldn't have much trouble selling it. It's a shame but you'll never get the money that the SH is worth, so have you considered parting it out?
Old 06-24-2009, 09:49 AM
SuperBike

Well thanks for the responses, exactly what i am dealing with. I would never part her out, out of the question. After having her for 10 years and moding the crap out of her i hate to get rid of her as well. I do ride her occasionally, but after a recent track day i realized the Supermoto CRF450 is a heck of a lot more fun, thus the reason i bought the 950 (wake up Honda)

I am also not wanting to dump her for space in the garage.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:52 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Thumper
Well thanks for the responses, exactly what i am dealing with. I would never part her out, out of the question. After having her for 10 years and moding the crap out of her i hate to get rid of her as well. I do ride her occasionally, but after a recent track day i realized the Supermoto CRF450 is a heck of a lot more fun, thus the reason i bought the 950 (wake up Honda)

Sounds like you've decided to become a collector of fine 2 wheeled machines...some folks collect stamps, but I think your collection is mo better
RC
Old 06-24-2009, 11:04 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by FL02SupaHawk996
Sounds like you've decided to become a collector of fine 2 wheeled machines...some folks collect stamps, but I think your collection is mo better
RC
Yea i stated the exisiting collection in 1982 with this one and still have her today.

Name:  RightSide.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  191.6 KB

Getting rid of the VTR is going to be painfull in the pocket book as well as all of the great rides, dang i wish they made a slipper clutch for the Superhawk.

Regardless what i do i will be getting rid of the OEM exhaust and the Track day body work and tank as i have no desire to put her back on the track anymore.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:08 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

Nice 750! I just love that 4 into 1...now that's a super bike from back in the day
Old 06-24-2009, 11:13 AM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
That 750F was a hot bike back then. I still love the styling, but look at how small those front brakes are.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:18 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
That 750F was a hot bike back then. I still love the styling, but look at how small those front brakes are.
Nobody used brakes back in the day and the SH's rotors aren't that much beefier...LOL!
Old 06-24-2009, 01:00 PM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
There are a lot of great bikes out there and I only wish I could own about 20 of them, Honda or not.

After 55,000 miles, I have beaten my Super Hawk up pretty good, but it is still a lot of fun.

I'm sure that KTM is a fine machine, but it just looks kind of awkward & top-heavy to my eye. It probably would look a lot better to me from the saddle though!
Old 06-24-2009, 01:01 PM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road

you could pull the aftermarket parts & sell those and put the 'hawk back to stock - then sell it.

tim
Old 06-24-2009, 01:17 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

PJay is on a distinguished road
My collection has largely been built up by not selling bikes when I've bought other ones.

I say, if you've got the storage space, keep the SH.

I have about 15 bikes at present (used to be 25), and they're all different, and all fun for their differences.

The KTM hardly replaces the SH - I know, I've owned KTMs, too. NB KTMs are much more demanding on maintenance than Hondas.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:59 PM
Back Marker

jaypo is on a distinguished road
Good looking KTM Thumper. I noticed you're on the Nashville Sport Bike group. Hopefully I'll get to see that KTM on the next ride. I might be the only SH rider in that group if you sell yours!
Old 06-24-2009, 02:13 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

falcondrvr is on a distinguished road
Put a superbike bar and some saddle bags on the Hawk and call it your long-range sport tourer. Now you can keep it.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:03 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Hell, now that you have the KTM, sell the CRF. Why have 2 of the same type of bikes? Sell the VTR, step away from the bong....

j/k
Old 06-25-2009, 02:40 AM
Back Marker

Fozzy Bear is on a distinguished road
Keep the VTR, sell off the Jardines and get yruyur's beetle bags. Instant spors tourer ala' Ducati ST3
Old 06-25-2009, 05:27 AM
Back Marker

98ILVTR is on a distinguished road
Keep it... Put a superbike bar on it like stated, and take off the fairing, and make it a naked bike. Re-do the two side radiators, and put a single up front, then put a Speed Triple esk front light on it... I could spend your money for you...
Old 06-25-2009, 07:39 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
Yep.

I have actually purchased CBR600F2 wheels and fork tubes as well as brakes and will be performing an upgrade to 17" radial sometime in the future.

That will make her a SuperF then and she should handle even better on Radial instead of old bias-ply tires.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:42 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by 97Wolverine
Hell, now that you have the KTM, sell the CRF. Why have 2 of the same type of bikes? Sell the VTR, step away from the bong....

j/k

You got to be crazy, there is no way in heck i am selling the CRF as i just put a ton of money in the engine this winter on a complete rebuild in my garage. Beside in the fall and winter she is in the dirt rippin through the woods.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:44 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
You got to be crazy, there is no way in heck i am selling the CRF as i just put a ton of money in the engine this winter on a complete rebuild in my garage. Beside in the fall and winter she is in the dirt rippin through the woods.
Then sell the SV and let wifey ride CRF, while you're on KTM or VTR. Anything goes except the Hawk.