Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Carb Trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 09:46 PM
Squid

mchawkmaster is on a distinguished road
Carb Trouble?

So I have a 98 S Hawk with a little over 11,000 miles on it. When taking off from a stop it will shudder and shimmy up until 2-3000 rpms then it runs awesome or atleast awesome to what I can compare it to. When sitting at idle and I go to rev it up to show off my new toy it will kind of stumble and then rev up nice. It is also slow to come down to idle engine speed.

Also when down shifting after a "hard" pull in say second or third gear it will back throttle normally until it hits 3000 RPM and will start popping. To my knowledge the PAIR system is not removed but will be soon.

Running a tank with Seafoam right now but the problem hasn't gotten better. Does this sound like the carbs need to be synched or something better/worse?
Old 08-02-2010, 11:04 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Sounds like the pilot jets are fouled.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:28 PM
SuperSport

ranchomice is on a distinguished road
Listen to that guy ^^^^
Old 08-03-2010, 05:56 AM
Superstock

evines is on a distinguished road
I agree about the pilot jets, but an easier thing to check first is exhaust leak. When I bought my bike, it was missing the gasket between the rear cylinder downpipe and mid-pipe. It was leaking pretty bad, and caused a hesitation around 3-4K and LOUD backfire around 3-4K when decelerating. I was sure some of my symptoms were carb related, and tried sea foam to no avail, but everything was fixed when I installed the gasket.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:52 AM
Squid

Does fouled pilot jets just mean that they are gummed up or does it mean I need new ones? I am running my second tank of seafoam through the bike now (filled up 30 minutes ago) and it seams that should unclog them. Right?

@ evines
My bike is running a Two Bros high mount system. I'm actually going to pull the cans and mid-pipes off tonight and repack the mufflers to see if that may help. Looking from the headers and following them through the x-pipe and up the mid-pipe to the cans I haven't seen any form of gasketing but will know more tonight. What type of gasket is it?
Old 08-03-2010, 07:08 AM
Superstock

evines is on a distinguished road
It's an aluminum gasket that fits in between the male and female fittings (you can't see it looking at the pipe). It's extremely fragile and kind of a PITA to install without tearing it up. If you can't feel exhaust leaking out, then you are probably ok. The gasket is #6 below. And yes, I think fouled means clogged with crap. I would guess if it's too clogged, sea foam might not work. But you should be able to clean them out and not buy new ones.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:21 AM
Superstock
Superstock

wyldryce is on a distinguished road
I certainly wouldn't expect the seafoam to do an adequate job of unclogging those pilots; they just aren't that big. You'll have a hard time fouling the mains, but the pilots are pretty easy to restrict enough to cause the "lean hang" you're describing. You're best off pulling the carbs and doing a thorough job with carb cleaner, cleaning all passages and pulling the jets and letting them soak in carb cleaner for a few hours. Some have had luck draining the gas (or just running it dry) and adding carb cleaner to the inlet lines and then shaking the bike a few times every hour or two for 24 hours, then emptying. If it t'was me, I'd be pulling the carbs.
And yes, evines, muffler gasket could cause the popping, but to me it sounds like 8541Hawk called it...sounds lean.
-R
Old 08-03-2010, 09:37 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
here's what the slow jets look like
Attached Thumbnails Carb Trouble?-slow-jets.jpg  
Old 08-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Squid

Welp... looks like I'm going to be diving into the carb tear up party soon. Never done it before so i'm kind of excited about it. Is there any tricks or things that a noob like me should look out for when taking this on?

Thanks for the pic of the slow jets FLO2. Are these what some call the mixture screws or are those different animals all together? Where abouts are they located on the carbs?
Old 08-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mchawkmaster
Welp... looks like I'm going to be diving into the carb tear up party soon. Never done it before so i'm kind of excited about it. Is there any tricks or things that a noob like me should look out for when taking this on?

Thanks for the pic of the slow jets FLO2. Are these what some call the mixture screws or are those different animals all together? Where abouts are they located on the carbs?
different animule

here download this manual and have at it: https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=11365
Old 08-03-2010, 09:16 PM
Squid

Thanks for all the input guys and FL02, thanks for the link to the manual.

Would it be worth trying the Yamaha carb cleaner "trick" before I go and pull the carbs off the bike?