Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

more TPS trouble

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 08:05 PM
Superstock

Zedicus is on a distinguished road
more TPS trouble

so, figured i would and go ahead an try the TPS mod. got iit done fired the bike up and all was well, i thought. it runs strong until temperature comes up to normal running temp, then it sounds like the timeing runs way off one end. the bike will NOT rev. and tries to backfire like crazy. it cant be my jetting (which may be abit of) but ive tried it twice and at cold engine it runs STRONG. at warm engine my leaf blower could out run me in a 1/4 mile. anyone got thoughts or ideas on the cause of this? im going to be messing with it and see where its the happiest next weekend, though i hav a sneeking suspicion itl be close to the stock setting.

im using an anolog multi-meter, calibrated by eyeballs, it shows about 540 ohms at closed throttle and im out of adjustment. showed about 890 stock.

mods so far are D&D slip ons
K&N filter
rejetted (needs a bit more tuning but close)
and a lightened flywheel cut by a MAD MAN (ME, took off close to half the wieght.)

by the way i will post some pics of the custom rear fender i did with a hidden seat lock, clear lens and integrated blinkers at some point. also some custom paint inside the tail light housing itself.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:32 AM
Superstock

RPV-Hawk is on a distinguished road
Do a TPS measurement COLD and then do another when HOT.
Your TPS might be going bad when hot.

Another option...your R/R could be bad when hot, not providing good spark to both cylinders. Check your R/R for proper operation when hot.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:14 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
I'd also suggest reverting the TPS back to the stock reading and see what happens.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:51 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
are you saying it ran great before you adjusted the TPS? even when it was warmed up? Or have you altered other things since it last run well warm?
Old 03-12-2007, 09:11 AM
Superstock

basically yes thas what im saying.

only other alteration i made with the TPS mod was the light flywheel. and that would cause a problem all the time if it had anything to do with it... i could maybe hav a fuel starv problem. the tanks basically empty and the bikes just kinda sitting together so i could fire it up. i was planning on doing the rectifier new plug wires and new plugs anyways but i dont like changeing tons of things and not knowing if im fixing the problem or making it worse.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:09 AM
Superstock

update, one thing fixed one more problem.

petcock was hooked up wrong, but was feeding just enough gas to get it to run good for a bit. thas fixed, but jetting is further off then i was hoping, looks like i will be yankin the carbs again.

also the TPS mod seems to smooth out the power, i may go back to stock settings and see which way i like it better.

and im still thinking the rectifier, plug wires and, plugs will get replaced soon. wouldnt hurt, im in their anyways i guess. bikes got like 30k on it an previous owner didnt do much maintenance